Search found 5 matches

by Moribund
Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 am
Forum: Barrow AFC
Topic: Grimes
Replies: 114
Views: 7718

Re: Grimes

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote:
I don't really get this line of "he didn't run around a lot so he's [SwearFilter]" being rolled out as a sarcastic defence of Grimes. I know what your getting at but I just don't think thats the case with him....at times he seemed totally disinterested. Even if the game isn't being played to his strengths he surely has to make the effort, look at Cowps, not the most skilful player but always gave 100% at whatever position he was put in.

I think thats what frustrated a lot of people, not the fact he "didn't run around a lot"

Surely running around a lot is a variant of not making effort?

Sadly the same thing used to happen with Richie Baker. Slated week in week out on here because he was good with the ball at his feet whereas James Owen was hailed because he ran around and got booked.
Oh, the Richie Baker that's spent the prime of his career bumming about in Conference North?
Baker was also twice the player of Grimes and weighed in with double figures.

Apart from his goal record years before signing for us, what are you basing your argument that he's a good player on?
by Moribund
Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:14 am
Forum: Barrow AFC
Topic: Grimes
Replies: 114
Views: 7718

Re: Grimes

Hitthebar22 wrote:
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
When you are as good with your feet as Grimes is theres no real point in playing it over his head for Cook to nod on for a goalkick .

A team that was all long ball , literally all long ball wont get the best out of a ball playing advanced playmaker
Rubbish, in my opinion. Absolutely no evidence at all that he is/was any good with his feet.
"A ball playing advanced playmaker"....He was a shocker, and weak with it.
He was way way out of his depth. If he was talented on the training ground, more fool him for being unable to transform it onto the meaningful area of the pitch, and demand to be selected.
Not selected by Edmo, not selected by Cox.
Sold by Cox when he still has a contract. We all know Cox gives the impression of being able to spot a player who can thrive in this league.
Personally I can put up with players that aren't that talented as long as they try. Grimes is/was a prima donna, totally unsuited to The National League, and an awful buy for Barrow because he just wasn't interested.
Yeah, but you didn't base your entire opinion of a player on what you'd read about him on the internet before he joined us.
"He's a Ferrari on a go kart track" - or something like that.
by Moribund
Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 pm
Forum: Barrow AFC
Topic: Grimes
Replies: 114
Views: 7718

Re: Grimes

Steeley wrote:
Moribund wrote:
Out of interest, in those 11 appearances, where did you develop the fantasy that he might be actually quite decent?
To be fair he won us the game at Macclesfield

I was there at that one. He won a penalty, fair play to him, but didn't showcase much of his legendary skill (and "world class vision" or whatever the quote was...). A 7/10 for his 15 minute run out
by Moribund
Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm
Forum: Barrow AFC
Topic: Grimes
Replies: 114
Views: 7718

Re: Grimes

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
Moribund wrote:Must have been his lack of height that let him down, nothing to do with him being a yard off the pace and looking generally useless.
....Or the 11 appearances off the bench when being played out of position in a defensive under performing side probably didn't help.
Out of interest, in those 11 appearances, where did you develop the fantasy that he might be actually quite decent?
by Moribund
Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:51 pm
Forum: Barrow AFC
Topic: Grimes
Replies: 114
Views: 7718

Re: Grimes

Must have been his lack of height that let him down, nothing to do with him being a yard off the pace and looking generally useless.

Login  •  Register