BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

The Final Hitch- In Europa

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Bluebirds Trust
Posts in topic: 3

The Final Hitch- In Europa

Post by Bluebirds Trust » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:12 pm

Our intrepid Chair Steve Herbert is setting out on the road for one last fundraising journey.

And this time he is aiming for European Glory!

Read all about Steve's latest plans, and donate to his JustGiving page on the link below

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... =w6VRE2JgJ

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The Final Hitch- In Europa

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 pm

Should have gone 50km up the autobahn to watch a decent team.
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 14

Post by barrowaberdeen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks to all who have donated so far, off to a great start! Whitty (I think), Ron Duxbury, Leitchy, Moritz from Koln, AB, Ste, Brian Shotton the Ashington Chairman, my great mates Sean from Fife and Brads from Carlisle- I thank you all.

It's simply another way of raising money and awareness as we get towards the total!

If amyone wants to sponsor any aspect of the hitch (as I have self funded ferry and plane back, but have not yet booked accomodation) that would be really be great.
Last edited by barrowaberdeen on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks to Ged Oxley from Oz for a brilliant donation, also more of our friends from Germany and what appears to be an ex Aberdeen player and Holland international. Up past £200 this morning. Great stuff.
Last edited by barrowaberdeen on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Up to 280. Thanks Paul, Si, Luke and Kris. Barrow, Dalton, Hibs via Boro and Koln again. Thank you all.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 am

Up to 500 now! Thanks to all, let's keep going and we will push on.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:25 pm

Up to 555! Mark (wow!) Rob, Dave, Mundial Magazine, Pa and Stu Nicholls, Tony huge thnaks

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm

At 605 online plus quite a bit to be added from cash donations Saturday too! Thanks to all.

Also a very kind , wishing to be anonymous source sponsored the Ferry part of the journey.Which is great, thanks.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 am

Saturday donations plus quiz winners kind contribution. Up to £760. Excellent stuff,cheers all.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you Paul. Up to £810. Much appreciated all.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanks Matty and Rich and on to 850 we go!

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:11 am

Jeff, Andy NSC and John, huge thanks. Up to 950 and I know there's 50 transferred into Trust account too. Brilliant effort and huge thanks to the person who's paying my ferry expenses too.Also, really appreciated the donation and radio plug Adam.
Last edited by barrowaberdeen on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Thank you my workmates, absolutely superb and we are up at 1100!

Please keep following and contributing. You can follow the hitch from The Bluebirds Trust FB and Twitter. Hopefully it'll go OK but if you enjoy me suffering and want to contribute that's great too. Butterflies now. Bag packed, signs written. On the road after 6.15am tomorrow from Booths Roundabout, heading for the night ferry from Harwich.

Bluebirds!

Bluebirds Trust
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bluebirds Trust » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:15 am

Steve has already made it to Forton services, in two lifts.

Ulverston to Lancaster provided by John Mills on his way to work at EDF.

Lancaster to Forton Russ taking me a short hop. Off to decorate his daughters house but pining for his French holiday home.

Making excellent progress, we move on to Lift 3, Marian from Bulgaria. His English as sketchy as mine but he's heading for Manchester.

Lift 4. Kevin is carrying stainless steel to Rotherham. Onwards to Yorkshire

Currently marooned in Calderdale #herbieshitch
calder.jpg
calder.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Lift 5 Finally left Hartshead Moor, with Nick who's off Lincolnshire way #Herbieshitch
SOUTH.jpg
SOUTH.jpg (259.5 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... chineuropa

Lift 6. Ian @ezikiah from Carlisle is taking me from Blyth to Peterborough services.

Lift 7. Pawel is picking up a lorry near Cambridge

Laurien is taking me along to Colchester. A nice Romanian chap. Number 8
laurien.jpg
laurien.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
Last edited by Bluebirds Trust on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 pm

Sat on the ferry about to embark. Trying to remember the tune to the Onedin Line (ask yer Nan)

Decent day, the hardest bit by a mile was the last 50 miles. Weirdly reassuring there are other coastal towns appallingly served by transport infrastructure.

Would like to thank the following people:

John who was driving to Heysham for work, nice Barrow chap
Russ, proper Lancashire, who was spending time in the UK decorating his daughter's house but longing for his French holiday home
Marian from Bulgaria who showed me pictures of his kids while smoking and overtaking in an articulated lorry at the same time- great bloke. "Stoichkov!" Pulev!" Wants to go home full time but mafia driving wages down too far.
Kevin from Grangemouth who loved his motorbikes and the Highlands.
Nick, another biker who managed to blag a competition visit to the South African World Cup even though he hated football
Ian, a Yorkshireman, living in Carlisle, wild camper and welder, really lovely bloke, we talked about family
Pawel from Katowice via Cambridge, trying to be an IT Technician as well as a driver who went out of his way to get me on the right road East
Laurien, living in Colchester- 35 now, left Timosaria at 17, lived all over Europe but now in Colchester, , speaks four languages, a wee girl in Denmark. Driving but trying to get into online marketing. Really interestin re Romanian corruption post- revolution (and nice biscuits). Smoked more than my old nan
Paul, commuting into London- stopped at a really difficult spot 'because I've hitched' we spoke about step-parenting
Andrew- Banking consultant bloke from Canary Wharf at the end of his commute who picked me up in the dark. Very clever, had been all over the world. Explained a lot re economics, very simply- I learned a lot. Went 10 miles out of his way to get me to the ferry port.

Love hitching me. People are genuinely mainly good folk, it reaffirms that, always has in 30 years of doing it. Tomorrow it's a real step into the unknown.

All the money goes towards the magic 50,000. So either put into www.bluebirdstrust.co.uk or please sponsor the hitch by clicking the link at the top.

Thanks to Lewis, Sam, Nathan, Cameron and Dave who have today.

ONWARD

All Bluebirds are Blue
Last edited by barrowaberdeen on Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:05 am, edited 5 times in total.