Official Statement

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Wintergreen
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Official Statement

Post by Wintergreen » Sat May 19, 2012 7:15 am

Well at least we have some communication going, I hope to see a few more updates in future. And well done to the Fan’s Liaison Rep John McKay; to get such a wide-ranging and comprehensive official statement together in such a short space of time was an outstanding achievement.

If this is the level of communication he can achieve on behalf of the rank and file supporters then his appointment in this role will be a boon for everyone. Not that I/we should make a regular habit of annoying him with queries I just think we needed something out there at this particular time.

Things aren't too rosy in our garden but they never are, so as one or two other posters have suggested now would be a good time to rally round by buying season tickets, renewing memberships etc.

We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:29 am

Even though there were rumours flying around that Martin was going, it's still a real shocker. Thanks for everything Martin & best of luck for the future.

I hope John can continue the updates both on the official site & here as they really are needed, especially when the stories about directors leaving, redevelopment stalling, money worries are reaching fever pitch. I've had replies to e-mails almost straight away when I've needed to get in touch with John......it looks like a good appointment by the board.

Back to the official statement, I was going to say "reading between the lines" but it's quite obvious that the club need people to renew there memberships & try to get back some of the other 500+ that we should have as members......and that'd be just for starters. The gates really do need to improve (back to that one again but it's a fact if we want to conntinue going in the right direction) we need some of the missing 300-400 to come back, we need some of the Trophy, FA cup, promotion supporters to make the odd appearance.
I think it pretty obvious from reading that, that if things don't change pretty quickly we won't be looking at another season in the BSP this time next year, the missing supporters need to realise that.

Next season could be the most important we've had for a long time.
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Sat May 19, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Chris Benoit
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chris Benoit » Sat May 19, 2012 11:01 am

I see some are worrying about potential players being put off by this statement but I see it differently. I'm glad the club have come and given us this statement rather than denying everything and claiming everything is fine. Some of us supporters (myself included) never bothered to renew memberships etc. Maybe now this will give us all a kick up the arse to do things like this. It's only a little one off payment to us all (and I appreciate that a lot of us are struggling too) but the money you'd have probably spent at a game could pay for your membership. Hopefully we will all pull together and help make the situation a bit more positive.
Steve Herbert supports the nob theory - Saturday 4th February 2012.

If this bus crashed and everybody on it died, Barrow football would end - Daz Boyle, Boston away, August 9th 2014.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lancaster Branch » Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am

Wintergreen wrote: Things aren't too rosy in our garden but they never are, so as one or two other posters have suggested now would be a good time to rally round by buying season tickets, renewing memberships etc.
We need to announce the prices first :)

ST's aren't for me for a few reasons but if Puma/their agent get their backsides in gear and stick some half decent merch in the club shop I'll buy something. If there was a range of baby stuff I'd fill my boots too. Proper stuff I mean, not the tat that's currently on offer.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim » Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 am

Eric Cartman wrote:I see some are worrying about potential players being put off by this statement
... and surely the rumours and dark hints about problems on this forum create the same problem anyway.

Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator

Post by Ste Story » Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 am

jim wrote:
Eric Cartman wrote:I see some are worrying about potential players being put off by this statement
... and surely the rumours and dark hints about problems on this forum create the same problem anyway.
I think rumours on here from people who if we're honest probably know a great deal less then they like to think they do are more harmful to the club then anything else...
BarrowAFC.net Site Admin - Contact Me
Spatiari ut Progrediaris

Chris Benoit
Gold Member

Post by Chris Benoit » Sat May 19, 2012 11:40 am

jim wrote:
Without doubt Jim but if it came to choosing between keeping the clubs finances secure and signing a player I know what I would pick. I think it's good that we seem to be rallying around for support wherever possible. If a potential player wants to read into that how they do then sod em :-)

I also agree with Lancaster Branch - I would go mad buying baby stuff which there was a distinct lack of last time I looked.
Steve Herbert supports the nob theory - Saturday 4th February 2012.

If this bus crashed and everybody on it died, Barrow football would end - Daz Boyle, Boston away, August 9th 2014.

BERSATUBOY
Bronze Member

Post by BERSATUBOY » Sat May 19, 2012 12:09 pm

The statement comes at a very good time as a lot of supporters are quite rightly becoming concerned.
I thank the BoD for this. I have been continuously stating this lack of communication for months and at last we have something coming from them.
We all know the financial restraints and all of us as supporters must now look deeply in our pockets and get the finances ticking over on a regular basis.
We can now put to bed this rumour of going part time again.
This is still a good Club to play for and to watch so let us all now hope that we can attract the players that Bayles wants including ALL those that have been offered
contracts.
Martin Lewis deserves all our thanks for the hard work he has put in. Without this commitment we would be a wee bit worse off . Thank You Martin.
:flag:

Cokey
Platinum Member

Post by Cokey » Sat May 19, 2012 12:20 pm

All the best Martin. Enjoy the bowls! :)
He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jonty » Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 pm

Three years Tony Keen has been pleading with Barrow fans to make becoming a year on year member of the club a prority. This is a massive factor in how far the club can go. We've discussed membership through many many threads, yes its not ideal, the benefits are questioned, but the simple fact is is money for the club. We have 565 members according to the official site. If everyone of these memebers renewed and made a personal effort to introcuce just one more member before kick off, then that will raise in the region of £20k+ in membership before kick off. This will be the easiest most affordable task for individuals that results in the most benefit. We all love the club, why wouldn't you be a club member? It's in every fans best interest.

The fact that its took a crisis like this to prompt people to act is the worst thing about all of this. The club need to take the membership message out to the wider audience and spell out exactly why it is important and put the form in the Evening Mail. Introduce a family membership / junior membership, set up a joining up kiosk at the club- in the Crossbar and fans can become members there and then on match day. Make it as easy as possible to complete.

edit- paypal link for membership is on the official site.

http://www.barrowafc.com/members/register.php
Last edited by Jonty on Sat May 19, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator

Post by Ste Story » Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Jonty wrote:a crisis like this
?
BarrowAFC.net Site Admin - Contact Me
Spatiari ut Progrediaris

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jonty » Sat May 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Ok, not a crisis, but lets stop it getting worse and the best and most immediate way to raise revenue without busting your wallet is to become a member. The point is, year on year we struggle to increase membership numbers. why is this? If we had over 1000 year on year members some of these financial worries may be alleviated.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Sat May 19, 2012 1:53 pm

I will add my thanks and best wishes to Martin who has really moved things on for the club off the field . Using the training rooms from time-to-time I have found him to be welcoming, helpful and approachable.

Martin's departure leaves the club with a minimal business/hospitality infrastruture and a tremendous gap to fill (with more volunteers?)

As for becoming a member, it really couldn't be much simpler - use Jonty's link above to the BAFC website and pay by Paypal or call in at the shop at the ground.

Someone joining now could look upon their fee as a donation to help cash flow in-between seasons and it should give them access to the agm next month/July. (Obviously Gold & Silver membership would not at this point bring the ticket benefit since memberships run to July 31st 2012 as things stand at the moment. Maybe the club would consider activating next season's memberships early for new members and to encourage existing members to renew early? Both would help short-term cash flow.)

Good suggestion to ask people in the Crossbar at the start of next season - something that a volunteer could assist with, perhaps?

The availability of ten reasonable monthly payments for gold/silver membership is a good idea and encouraged me to select the Gold option for last season even though a season ticket doesn't make economic sense for me due to the number of home matches I am likely to miss in a season. As fans we should try to make more people aware of it; word-of-mouth is effective.

K-Man
Platinum Member

Post by K-Man » Sat May 19, 2012 1:55 pm

A little constructive criticism from me while people brought it up. The clothing they have in the shop is woeful. The designs aren't the best, but what gets me is the quality. I usually get a polo every year and the last 2 I've probably worn it once every 2-3 weeks for the past 6 months and it's naker fluffy and uncomfortable. If it was better quality I'd get a couple.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly » Sat May 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks Martin for all the hard work and good work you have done. Sorry to see you leaving the post.