Official Statement

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
geobarrovian
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Official Statement

Post by geobarrovian » Tue May 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Perhaps a good incentive for members would be for the club to send the starting line-ups via text message as soon as they are released on a match day.

Bingo
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bingo » Wed May 23, 2012 12:26 am

what about joining by text - text the word join to xxxx and the 20 quid comes is charged to your phone bill and you are issued with a members number - special offers could be sent via text.

Matty Bassdriver
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Matty Bassdriver » Wed May 23, 2012 1:10 am

Now we're talking...These are exactly the kind of ideas we need to come up with between us to make the membership scheme more appealing. The same applies to season tickets etc. Incidentally I saw in the local rag today that the BOD have met recently to discuss season tickets (amongst other things). Admirable as that may be, I'm slightly puzzled why this is happening more than 3 weeks after the end of our season!? Kettering were moaning the other day at only selling 75 season tickets so far (without even knowing which league they're going to be in next season) and our dog-fiddling friends across the bay have been advertising 'earlybird' season tickets for the past 5 weeks starting at £199 for a spot on the terrace (less than £9 per game)...meanwhile our BOD are seemingly just starting discussions on the subject :shock: The official website (as of today) is now showing season-tickets as being available at £290 for an adult on the terrace. Although prices are frozen from last season this is only a saving of about £1.40 per game, so by my reckoning the financial benefit of having a season ticket would be eliminated by missing just 3 games during the season! I wonder if the club carried out a comprehensive price comparison of season-tickets and also of season-tickets v aggregated game-by-game admission with other clubs in our league and the north-west before announcing these prices today?
Article on the subject from last season: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -cent.html

Anyway...let's hope we get a 100% turn out from the BOD at John MacKay's planned fans meeting and they listen to ideas of the kind put forward in the three posts above and embrace the widespread enthusiasm of our diehard fan base to do what we can to assist the club. For example I'm sure between say 50 of us we could hit every letterbox in Furness with membership forms etc - about 30,000 houses, so 600 each. Get 100 volunteers and it drops to 300. Either-way, easily achievable...

tictactoe
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tictactoe » Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am

In a previous meeting with Martin Lewis, we discussed the membership. At the time I suggested a junior membership at a reduced price and each junior member received a small gift, stationery, teddies, etc depending what age the child was. This never came to fruition. I also mentioned about the adult membership whereby for the money you pay maybe you could get a couple of home games free admission with your membership and also a gift. To be honest, the vouchers given in the members book probably won't be of interest to a lot of people imo so this was a bit of a non-starter.

This is my suggestion

Adult membership - £15.00 reduced in a hope that more will join, to include two free admissions per season and a voucher to spend in the club shop.

Junior membership - £5.00 to include voucher to spend in the club shop to buy what they want or a gift decided by the club.

This would be for basic membership and obviously if people want to do the silver/gold like was offered last season then obviously more deals to be included, but the basic imo is what will sell most.

I really do hope the club employ someone to take over Martin's role completely and I hope that they have the same success as he did and his "contacts" stay involved with Barrow AFC.

Regarding admission prices - I honestly think the club would benefit if they were reduced. I cannot see this happening but I certainly hope that they are not increased. People are struggling, myself included, at this time and if prices are increased attendance will never improve.
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lancaster Branch » Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 am

tictactoe wrote:
Regarding admission prices - I honestly think the club would benefit if they were reduced. I cannot see this happening but I certainly hope that they are not increased. People are struggling, myself included, at this time and if prices are increased attendance will never improve.
Given the announcement on ST prices I'd say a freeze in the match day prices is the best that we can hope for.

Kieran
Gold Member

Post by Kieran » Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 am

tictactoe wrote:

Adult membership - £15.00 reduced in a hope that more will join, to include two free admissions per season and a voucher to spend in the club shop .
Christ, we don't want much then??

So with a £15 membership you want to give away 2 match tickets (about £30) and a club shop voucher for what, say £20?? So you basically want to gain £15 to give away £50, madness!!

DaveC
Platinum Member

Post by DaveC » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

I love the idea of Junior members packages. Why not include a colour glossy photo of the team as part of the package? I'm sure with the right angle, a little target audience research that this could become a very viable option. I know my lad would've been very into this when he was younger if it was available.

In fact how about for a price, a junior member would get;
BAFC Pen/Pencil
BAFC Rubber
BAFC Colour Glossy Team Pic
BAFC Scarf
Free entry to a draw to be a mascot for a day.

Thoughts?
Dave C

Keep asking questions, don't eat the bullshit!

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach » Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 am

tictactoe wrote:Adult membership - £15.00 reduced in a hope that more will join, to include two free admissions per season and a voucher to spend in the club shop.

wouldnt work

23 home games @ £14 quid = £322

Join as a member 11 times under false/family or friends names at your 15 quid = £165

your 11 memberships would get you into 22 matches if you got 2 free admissions under your idea.

and would also be cheaper than a season ticket.

Not that anyone would ever be so dishonest as to try something like this but it could be done.

i hope my maths is correct (Zak). if im wrong i apologise now. :?

burnzio
Platinum Member

Post by burnzio » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

DaveC wrote: In fact how about for a price, a junior member would get;
BAFC Pen/Pencil
BAFC Rubber
BAFC Colour Glossy Team Pic
BAFC Scarf
Free entry to a draw to be a mascot for a day.

Thoughts?
I think that's a good idea Dave and I would probably get them for my brothers/nephews. However I would scrap the scarf if we were charging a fiver. Cost of some stationery, a letter and a glossy photo <£1. Junior Membership £5 =£4 profit each member. Or add the scarf and call it a tenner.

People need to remember with these ideas, while a lot of them are great it will always boil down to money. If the overall outcome is not profitable the club should not be doing it.

I hope someone can step in for Martin as the membership etc. really needs a kick up the arse and someone to carry these ideas through.

Reg
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Reg » Wed May 23, 2012 1:54 pm

We don't need gimmicks. They just don't work well enough for it to be worth the effort of putting them together.

Even if we somehow got an extra 500 members, how much would it be worth? £10k? Subtract whatever little treats being a member gives you and it's not even that.

What we need are sensible budgets that actually match our income.

At the moment, we're not capable of being in this league and breaking even financially and nor will we be unless we i)get the ground development project or ii)start getting the required amount through the turnstiles to allow us to have a team capable of maintaining our league status without incurring annual losses.

The reality is that the current financial climate of the town and the inflated wages that players in this league expect make it near impossible for us to compete in this division. We need to try and generate fresh money from areas that we don't already tap into. You cannot expect the current fanbase to continue to come up with money, just to keep the wolves from the door on an ongoing basis, which is what you're effectively trying to do by increasing the membership.

If people wanted to be members, they already would be. You can't get blood out of a stone.

If I were in charge, I would give the manager a reduced playing budget next season based on us getting an average crowd of 1200. We might not even average 1200 next season if the tail end of this season is anything to go by, so even that would be a risk. If that budget meant that we ended up with a team that wasn't good enough to stay up, then so be it. If we continue to give managers playing budgets that exceed our income, it can only end in financial disaster, be it this season, next season, or whenever.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley » Wed May 23, 2012 2:01 pm

I thought last season we slashed the budget and brought in 'low earners', young free agents. Our 'top' players this year, Boyes, Macreth were brought in through trials so cant have been on that much to start with.

Hopefully the release of supposed big earners such as Ferrell, Hulbert etc will see us return a little more towards the black.
Bish=God

Reg
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Reg » Wed May 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Steeley wrote:
Hopefully the release of supposed big earners such as Ferrell, Hulbert etc will see us return a little more towards the black.
Maybe not.

You would have to imagine the money saved on the likes of Hulbert, Ferrell, Bolland & Nicholas will go towards pay rises for the likes of Owen, Cook & Mackreth who all increased their stock last season. I would imagine that those three were amongst the lower earners last season. I very much doubt we will have got them back in on similar terms.
The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley » Wed May 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Reg wrote:
Steeley wrote:
Maybe not.

You would have to imagine the money saved on the likes of Hulbert, Ferrell, Bolland & Nicholas will go towards pay rises for the likes of Owen, Cook & Mackreth who all increased their stock last season. I would imagine that those three were amongst the lower earners last season. I very much doubt we will have got them back in on similar terms.
Good point, hopefully we can stumble upon some more decent players from trials again this year.
Bish=God

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by spirit of 1990 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:43 pm

Matty Bassdriver wrote:let's hope we get a 100% turn out from the BOD at John MacKay's planned fans meeting
I hope so as well, although just as important will be the fans turning up to this meeting & I don't mean just a % off here. This needs to be widely advertised (radio, forum, official site, paper & something we can all do....word of mouth)
Matty Bassdriver wrote:I'm sure between say 50 of us we could hit every letterbox in Furness with membership forms etc - about 30,000 houses, so 600 each. Get 100 volunteers and it drops to 300. Either-way, easily achievable...

I think thats very optimistic thinking we could get anywhere near reaching that many households but I'm up for having a go at doing as many as possible.
I think a good starting point would be finding out who is available & from what areas, I would be willing to do the Hawcoat area (where I live) for a few hours over a couple of nights, another dozen & we could probably finish the whole estate in a week. Others in other areas could do the same.
Trouble with all of this is we'd need the BoD's to actually agree with us &, then get volunteers (volunteers are easy to come by until dates are mentioned) then people to co-ordinate it, quite a big task!

As I say, I'll be happy to help out if it comes off.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Exploited

Post by Exploited » Wed May 23, 2012 8:45 pm

[quote="spirit of 1990"] Hawcoat area (where I live) for a few hours over a couple of nights, another dozen & we could probably finish the whole estate in a week. Others in other areas could do the same.
Trouble with all of this is we'd need the BoD's to actually agree with us &, then get volunteers (volunteers are easy to come by until dates are mentioned) then people to co-ordinate it, quite a big task!

ill be happy to help out around hawcoat aswell if all goes according to plan
If you come from barrow then YOU should be a blue