Official Statement

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
ant
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Official Statement

Post by ant » Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 am

Jonty wrote:Three years Tony Keen has been pleading with Barrow fans to make becoming a year on year member of the club a prority. This is a massive factor in how far the club can go. We've discussed membership through many many threads, yes its not ideal, the benefits are questioned, but the simple fact is is money for the club. We have 565 members according to the official site. If everyone of these memebers renewed and made a personal effort to introcuce just one more member before kick off, then that will raise in the region of £20k+ in membership before kick off. This will be the easiest most affordable task for individuals that results in the most benefit. We all love the club, why wouldn't you be a club member? It's in every fans best interest.

The fact that its took a crisis like this to prompt people to act is the worst thing about all of this. The club need to take the membership message out to the wider audience and spell out exactly why it is important and put the form in the Evening Mail. Introduce a family membership / junior membership, set up a joining up kiosk at the club- in the Crossbar and fans can become members there and then on match day. Make it as easy as possible to complete.

edit- paypal link for membership is on the official site.

http://www.barrowafc.com/members/register.php
As a one off and we've proved(through the cash raised for sponsorship syndicate) we have the commitment to raise cash.Why don't we just this once pay a £40 membership payment.Wont suit all. And a few cant afford it.But it would be a great help to the club. Equates to double membership numbers and any new members we get will be a bonus.Its not what we get out of it.Its simply a way of showing we care and AFC are our team.I certainly don't ask anything in return.£40 a year.Its cheap.
Last edited by ant on Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seasons to be cheerful.Part 10 n 3 /4 :skill:

Van Der Nipper
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Van Der Nipper » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 am

Membership is already £20.
ISC in the community liason officer-since 7th April 2009

Adam29
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Adam29 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:10 am

ant wrote:
Jonty wrote:Three years Tony Keen has been pleading with Barrow fans to make becoming a year on year member of the club a prority. This is a massive factor in how far the club can go. We've discussed membership through many many threads, yes its not ideal, the benefits are questioned, but the simple fact is is money for the club. We have 565 members according to the official site. If everyone of these memebers renewed and made a personal effort to introcuce just one more member before kick off, then that will raise in the region of £20k+ in membership before kick off. This will be the easiest most affordable task for individuals that results in the most benefit. We all love the club, why wouldn't you be a club member? It's in every fans best interest.

The fact that its took a crisis like this to prompt people to act is the worst thing about all of this. The club need to take the membership message out to the wider audience and spell out exactly why it is important and put the form in the Evening Mail. Introduce a family membership / junior membership, set up a joining up kiosk at the club- in the Crossbar and fans can become members there and then on match day. Make it as easy as possible to complete.

edit- paypal link for membership is on the official site.

http://www.barrowafc.com/members/register.php
As a one off and we've proved(through the cash raised for sponsorship syndicate) we have the commitment to raise cash.Why don't we just this once pay a £20 membership payment.Wont suit all. And a few cant afford it.But it would be a great help to the club. Equates to double membership numbers and any new members we get will be a bonus.£10 per year is pretty cheap anyway IMHO.Its not what we get out of it.Its simply a way of showing we care and AFC are our team.I certainly don't ask anything in return.£20 a year.Its cheap.

Bronze membership - £20

Silver membership - membership and entry to the lottery - £70

Gold membership - membership, entry to the lottery and a season ticket - £340

ant
Gold Member

Post by ant » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

Yes...was on about £20 membership really. readjusted my thread..

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:13 am

ant wrote:Its not what we get out of it.Its simply a way of showing we care and AFC are our team.I certainly don't ask anything in return.£20 a year.Its cheap.
Exactly how I see it.

I don't think that others see it differently, it's just some either get out of the habit or it isn't easy enough (and I know it's been made easier) Perhaps blitzing the radio & Mail about the need for members then setting a stall in two or three places on a Saturday in town might just be worth a try, sort it there & then in two minutes then the club aren't then relying on people going out of their way or doing it online. If it doesnt work at least we'll know it doesnt work & wont still be coming up with ideas like this next season.
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

ant
Gold Member

Post by ant » Thu May 24, 2012 10:32 am

Sorry all. Got numbers mixed up.(just finished nights.) all i meant to say was £20 a year is cheap IMHO.Dont need nothing back in return.am willing to pay£40 per year as a one off to help finances.(but still cheap)Dont really need the higher hits as i think they just put people off in these difficult times.No need to complicate things.£40 a year=acceptable even if i was unemployed.been there and its comfortable if your a fan.All i would add is a prize draw of some kind for members.whom i sure would donate most back to the club.

Van Der Nipper
Gold Member

Post by Van Der Nipper » Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 am

I pay the £36 a month for gold membership which is good value for me.
ISC in the community liason officer-since 7th April 2009

ant
Gold Member

Post by ant » Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 am

Van Der Nipper wrote:I pay the £36 a month for gold membership which is good value for me.
+1

Matty Bassdriver

Post by Matty Bassdriver » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:
ant wrote:Its not what we get out of it.Its simply a way of showing we care and AFC are our team.I certainly don't ask anything in return.£20 a year.Its cheap.
Exactly how I see it.

I don't think that others see it differently, it's just some either get out of the habit or it isn't easy enough (and I know it's been made easier) Perhaps blitzing the radio & Mail about the need for members then setting a stall in two or three places on a Saturday in town might just be worth a try, sort it there & then in two minutes then the club aren't then relying on people going out of there way or doing it online. If it doesnt work at least we'll know it doesnt work & wont still be coming up with ideas like this next season.
I have no doubt marketing / promotion of this kind WILL increase membership numbers. Us Barrovians like things made easy for us - handing over £20 at a stall whilst in town is easier for most than specifically driving to the ground - which may well not even be open during business hours now Martin has gone? The stall in town would ideally co-incide with the release of the new replica kits for the coming season (1st day earlybird offer?) - if that is happening anytime soon? Perhaps another item on which no action can be taken until the still 4 week away fans meeting!!?

I know Reg and others on here have recently questioned how much of a financial difference membership can make to the club. Whilst this is a valid point I, like many others, am sure that our club is a million miles away from being as dynamic as it needs to be in tapping all sources of additional income and fan-bases - membership, merchandise, realistically priced and promoted season tickets, lottery sellers and subscribers, wider interaction and engagement with schools and junior football teams...etc. I know moves are afoot in some of these areas. Martin also moved things on massively on the corporate side, but there's still so much more that can be done - and no doubt we can discuss further at the fans meeting.

I do agree though with Reg's point that the BOD should be setting sensible budgets - as without more widespread admission offers (free or cheaper primary school age child admission etc) or our team playing like Brazil and being 20 points clear at the top of the league, it's hard to see how in the current financial climate we can average above crowds of 1,200 for Saturdays & 1,000 for weeknights. If we can also develop additional income in the areas referred to above and save money by using suitably qualified volunteers for tasks the club are currently paying for (e.g. running the official website) surely we can balance the books, pay off any debts and have a good enough playing squad to retain our BSP status :)

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu May 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Reg wrote: What we need are sensible budgets that actually match our income.

If I were in charge, I would give the manager a reduced playing budget next season based on us getting an average crowd of 1200. We might not even average 1200 next season if the tail end of this season is anything to go by, so even that would be a risk. If that budget meant that we ended up with a team that wasn't good enough to stay up, then so be it. If we continue to give managers playing budgets that exceed our income, it can only end in financial disaster, be it this season, next season, or whenever.
Although I don't share Reg's pessimism with regards to the possibility of increasing Barrow's income through these various initiatives, I do agree completely that we should be budgeting for a minimum level of income. If we get more cash - whether through successful membership initiatives or a cup run - then we can use that money to: cut our debts; improve the ground; or to spend more on players who are on one season contracts/pay a bit more to get better loan players for a season.

I get the impression that over the last season, the BoD have budgeted as if we were going to get the increases that they hoped. If this is the case, it needs changing.

--
Note - have just read that I have basically repeated Matty's post above. The point still stands though!

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Thu May 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Van Der Nipper wrote:I pay the £36 a month for gold membership which is good value for me.
+2 but I'm not paying it for two months when there's no football. If I can get to the same games next year, I'll get it again in July probably.

It's reasonable value. What I like about it is that it just comes out of the bank and you aren't coppering for a midweek home at the end of the month.

tictactoe
Platinum Member

Post by tictactoe » Sat May 26, 2012 11:16 pm

Kieran wrote:
tictactoe wrote:

Adult membership - £15.00 reduced in a hope that more will join, to include two free admissions per season and a voucher to spend in the club shop .
Christ, we don't want much then??

So with a £15 membership you want to give away 2 match tickets (about £30) and a club shop voucher for what, say £20?? So you basically want to gain £15 to give away £50, madness!!
I was thinking more of a £5.00 voucher for the club shop. That way people would probably have to spend money with it to buy something and that is where you make up some shortfall. Also, with the free admissions, hopefully people would use some of the money they are saving in the bar before/after the game. All ifs and buts and I agree probably not the best idea, but imo the way it is at the moment member numbers are not going to increase.
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Sun May 27, 2012 2:42 pm

We don't just want member numbers to increase though - we need more net income from member numbers.