My Vision

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Reg
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My Vision

Post by Reg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 pm

People in other professions relocate to Barrow for less money than I presume a lot of BSP players are on.

They're supposed to be professional footballers too, so it's not like they need a plethora of evening activities to keep them occupied. Jesus, we don't live in [SwearFilter] caves!

Up to now, I have not seen one cast iron good reason to think that my idealistic idea couldn't be a possibility at some point in the future.

All I have seen is a bunch of unimaginative people, stuck in the comfort zone of a strategy that has never worked for a sustained period of time.

The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by olbarrafancumbak » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Barrow has a lot to offer that other places do not!

We have the lakes on our doorstep, we have miles upon miles of beautiful coastline, we live in a relatively safe place to bring up kids.....a lot of people would give there left arm to live in our part of the world.

Ffs, its not as if we travel by horse n cart no more, we have reasonable transport links, by car we are just over an hour from Liverpool, an hour an half from Manchester and IF and its a big IF, the bridge over the bay would ever go ahead it would bring these places even closer.

I like Reg's vision, it contains a lot of the things that we all have a moan about but can it be pulled off?

I think our Achilles heal is most definitely the ground and its for both players and potential supporters and with that I mean it is dated, its probably past its sell by date and needs either the new build or a major overhaul? I think it shows intent if either are done and again benefits both us and potential new players?

I dont think location is the big issue but simply an age old excuse thats gone on for too long.

Leo
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Leo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 am

olbarrafancumbak wrote:Barrow has a lot to offer that other places do not!

We have the lakes on our doorstep, we have miles upon miles of beautiful coastline, we live in a relatively safe place to bring up kids.....a lot of people would give there left arm to live in our part of the world.

Ffs, its not as if we travel by horse n cart no more, we have reasonable transport links, by car we are just over an hour from Liverpool, an hour an half from Manchester and IF and its a big IF, the bridge over the bay would ever go ahead it would bring these places even closer.

I like Reg's vision, it contains a lot of the things that we all have a moan about but can it be pulled off?

I think our Achilles heal is most definitely the ground and its for both players and potential supporters and with that I mean it is dated, its probably past its sell by date and needs either the new build or a major overhaul? I think it shows intent if either are done and again benefits both us and potential new players?

I dont think location is the big issue but simply an age old excuse thats gone on for too long.

Yea but an hour and a half there and back is a long time when you just want to nip out and do something of an evening! And if you dont fancy a walk to alleviate your boredom, Barrow is probably not the place an out of towner would want to be. A few deluded people if they think anyone who was brought up in or near a big city will come here and find plentiful things to do
Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain

Hadrian
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hadrian » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:09 am

Not deluded, Leo.

The history of Barrow is that of a place where people from large urban areas, small towns and rural communities to make a living and found plenty of things to do, often by associating with like-minded people to establish organisations.

In the football context a number of the out-of-town players who signed for Barrow in league days remained or returned here to make thier homes and families.

It's a some young people thing to claim "nothing to do" that is not limited to medium-sized towns like Barrow. After all your average Londoner doesn't swan around Mayfair swigging champagne most nights of the week like your typical Mancunian who doesn't go from one trendy spot to another in Castlefield, Deaqnsgate or the Northern Quarter. They live in Blackheath, Deptford or Camden, Prestwich, Ardwick or Openshaw and some bemoan the fact that there is nothing to do.

You'll find people who involve themselves don't get bored.

mally

Post by mally » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Bang on Hadrian and I'd just like to add if I may that back in the league days you never had people going around moaning about how far away Barrow was from everywhere,and back then the roads were indeed s.... -The only thing you might have heard now and again was that the A590 was known as the time tunnel,but on the whole people just got on with it. Its a perpetual myth brought about by greedy impatient and on the whole lazy b....... to use as an excuse not to do or go anywhere.We cant all and indeed don't all,want to live on the edge of the M6.

Leo
Bronze Member

Post by Leo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:48 pm

Just to clarify, as a Barrovian I agree I think there's plenty to do! But I completely understand that any Mancunian, Scouser, Londoner or whatever coming up to Barrow will find that their range of activities is severely limited, compared to what they're used to
Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain

Andy
Gold Member

Post by Andy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 am

I'm originally from Manchester and have been here now for 25 years and would not go back to Manchester even if you paid me. Barrow may not have as much as other places but the quality of life is far superior.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
Friedrich Nietzsche

supporter for life

Post by supporter for life » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

olbarrafancumbak wrote "we are just over an hour from Liverpool"
How do you travel, by plane?

Just over two hours is the norm by car.

Fartvs Antiqvvs
Silver Member

Post by Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 pm

John Very Little wrote:
However I think that persuading players to live here would be an issue as how many from the Liverpool/Manchester/Leeds/Newcastle areas would leave their families and move here where there's very little attractions or much to do compared to the bigger places that we are trying to attract the players from?
When Clark Masters stayed here he said he was a little bit stuck for things to do during the week - on a Monday evening for instance?
Further (again) to JVL posting, Why would a seasoned Northern based and generally Northern team(s) player, miss out on Barrow, add on another 40 odd miles and join our lot?

http://www.forestgreenroversfc.com
Non essere curioso!

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:

Why would a seasoned Northern based and generally Northern team(s) player, miss out on Barrow, add on another 40 odd miles and join our lot?
dont know what you mean by "miss out on Barrow"

but in answer to your question, money

Fartvs Antiqvvs
Silver Member

Post by Fartvs Antiqvvs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 pm

boyliegladbach wrote:
Fartvs Antiqvvs wrote:

Why would a seasoned Northern based and generally Northern team(s) player, miss out on Barrow, add on another 40 odd miles and join our lot?
dont know what you mean by "miss out on Barrow"

but in answer to your question, money
Rather badly put on my part b. But are your scouts, manager or whomsoever doing the full time business in seeking out for your (Barrow FC) apparent desperate needs player wise.?
Non essere curioso!

DIXIE
Veteran Member

Post by DIXIE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Reg, Your vision will not work for a number of reasons. Most people relocating for work are not being offered 9 month contracts. Which correct me if i am wrong, but that is what i understand is on offer at BAFC. But in my opinion for some strange reason the area has never produced footballers who could play at this standard. I know you may throw a few names at me but over the last thirty years, Garry Stevens, Glen Skivington and maybe you could make an argument for Nigel Keen have played at a higher standard. At conference level in that time we have probably had ten decent locals. So where are these players in your vision coming from. We could spend loads of money on an reserve teams, youth teams etc, but the bottom line is if any local player is that good he will bypass BAFC completely.