BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Ground Maintenance Area. Sort Code - 15 10 00. Acc Num - 23114065. Ref - 704573807

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 802

Ground Maintenance Area. Sort Code - 15 10 00. Acc Num - 23114065. Ref - 704573807

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:55 pm

After speaking with John Mackay about how it might be useful to have a workshop at the ground for running repairs & storage of equipment for the general upkeep of Holker St, John went to the BoDs with the suggestion & the room under the BDF shop has been given over for this use.

There'll be a clear out of items in there (filled at the moment with all sorts of stuff) & I've taken down measurements so that I can sort out bench's, shelving, a vice - the usual stuff you'd find in a small workshop.
I can sort out quite a few small tools & the steelwork etc but there are a couple of things that would also be needed that we are short of.

1/An electrician to look at the lighting situation, there is obvioulsy power to the shop above but we need to look at somehow connecting it to the workshop. If anyone has any form of lighting that we could use that would also help.

2/Has anyone got any masonary paint they can donate to tidy it up a little.

3/Any tools that might be of use to this sort of project. I know it's asking a lot but things like a welding set, battery tools, pin/bench drill, transformer would be ideal. If anyone has any of these & can't donate them but would be prepared to loan them if & when they were needed that would be a sound back-up.

4/With some of the items that will be left in there a more secure door would be an idea, so open to suggestions on that one.

5/Some form of big trailer or van to transport any of the larger items would also help.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Uncle Peter
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 65

Re: WORKSHOP

Post by Uncle Peter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:08 pm

I've got a solid wood front door i've just taken off and replaced with a double glazed unit. If it's of any use you can have it. It also has a Yale Deadbolt on it.

Let me know if you want it.
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."

Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013

barrowscuba
Posts in topic: 5

Post by barrowscuba » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Doesnt the area under the main stand already have lighting and work benches? Why not use an area already half equipped as a work shop rather than start again trying to sort out the bit unde4r the BDF shop?

You might even find some half useful tools under there.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:29 pm

barrowscuba wrote:Doesnt the area under the main stand already have lighting and work benches? Why not use an area already half equipped as a work shop rather than start again trying to sort out the bit unde4r the BDF shop?

You might even find some half useful tools under there.
I agree, that area is massive & at the moment not being used for anything apart from being used as a dumping ground.
I personally would find it much easier to alter a corner of that for use as a workshop as the area under the shop is limited & not ideal.
I'll drop John an e-mail or, if you are reading this John, would there be any chance of using this far better area as the workshop? I think for storage of materials & workspace it would be much better suited & would tidy up what is basically just a mess & waste of space at the moment.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Uncle Peter wrote:I've got a solid wood front door i've just taken off and replaced with a double glazed unit. If it's of any use you can have it. It also has a Yale Deadbolt on it.

Thanks Peter, I'll just see how this other suggestion goes first if thats ok.

Uncle Peter
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 65

Post by Uncle Peter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:35 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Uncle Peter wrote:I've got a solid wood front door i've just taken off and replaced with a double glazed unit. If it's of any use you can have it. It also has a Yale Deadbolt on it.

Thanks Peter, I'll just see how this other suggestion goes first if thats ok.
No problem, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
"As long as they don't start causing any bother they are welcome to continue reinforcing my belief the Midlands is only good for nuking."

Mr R Ingham, 02/10/2013

Mike Wilson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Mike Wilson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Progressive lads, doffs cap.

Any plans in the future to take advantage of the space under the stand ( not been in 10 yrs, so not sure )

Would it be suitable to use as a bar/function suite/food n drinks out let, if yes I have an idea for a good fund raising scheme, kindly let me know.
At least Mad Russell can hold on to a lead easier than BAFC

DaveBarter
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveBarter » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Mike Wilson wrote:Progressive lads, doffs cap.

Any plans in the future to take advantage of the space under the stand ( not been in 10 yrs, so not sure )

Would it be suitable to use as a bar/function suite/food n drinks out let, if yes I have an idea for a good fund raising scheme, kindly let me know.
Pies????

anthony
Posts in topic: 30

Post by anthony » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:33 pm

there is masonary paint in the unused toilet block by the stewards room Ian.

barrowscuba
Posts in topic: 5

Post by barrowscuba » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

If a corner under the stand is permitted to be used, and as the club appear broke, would the BDF pay to organise a skip? Maybe a good use of everyone's hard earned as opposed to giving money to the club for operational costs.

A small work party could get rid of most of the junk under there in a day as the skip would need to be shifted before a home game takes place.

Just an idea.

mrsenario
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 216

Post by mrsenario » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:27 pm

[quote="spirit of 1990"]After speaking with John Mackay about how it might be useful to have a workshop at the ground for running repairs & storage of equipment for the general upkeep of Holker St, John went to the BoDs with the suggestion & the room under the BDF shop has been given over for this use.

There'll be a clear out of items in there (filled at the moment with all sorts of stuff) & I've taken down measurements so that I can sort out bench's, shelving, a vice - the usual stuff you'd find in a small workshop.
I can sort out quite a few small tools & the steelwork etc but there are a couple of things that would also be needed that we are short of.

1/An electrician to look at the lighting situation, there is obvioulsy power to the shop above but we need to look at somehow connecting it to the workshop. If anyone has any form of lighting that we could use that would also help.

2/Has anyone got any masonary paint they can donate to tidy it up a little.

3/Any tools that might be of use to this sort of project. I know it's asking a lot but things like a welding set, battery tools, pin/bench drill, transformer would be ideal. If anyone has any of these & can't donate them but would be prepared to loan them if & when they were needed that would be a sound back-up.

I,ll donate my clarke 240 v stick welding set and a 4 1/2 inch grinder with discs and flappers etc, also got a reinforsed steel extension to use with the welding set and masks chipping hammers etc...........set has a portable trolley and handle to wheel it around
Got my business TC metalcrafts started many moons ago(anyone remember it in ironworks road then behind the garage on the strand 1993 ish)with it so it could knock a few crash barriers together no problem.....

mrsenario
Gold Member

Post by mrsenario » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

forgot to menton spirit..with you being a rough arsed steelworker.....I will also throw my hand in for any fabricating and fine limit work being an old sheetmetalworker draughtsman and now as you despise.....a planner.......I,ll schedule the material through your facility......and you can check if ive ordered it all..........ha!!

mrsenario
Gold Member

Post by mrsenario » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Also on the subject of paint.....isnt the bluebird club going to be a car garage and general trade paint place......maybe get them to supply or sponsor if relations are in order?

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for all that Tommy, fantastic offers.......any others?

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:15 pm

anthony wrote:there is masonary paint in the unused toilet block by the stewards room Ian.
Thanks Mike, I'll see how the other suggestion goes with John & the BoDs first.