BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Ground Maintenance Area. Sort Code - 15 10 00. Acc Num - 23114065. Ref - 704573807

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Holkerbird
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 315

Re: Ground Maintenance Area

Post by Holkerbird » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Just a mention that Mrs Hornby and son also appear every Sunday morning too. A nice family outing. 😂
Probably the only time she gets to see him between work and the football. 😕
It's not all about you men you know. All the wives at home keeping things ticking over there. 😀

BillyBlue
Posts in topic: 4

Post by BillyBlue » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Can anyone donate corrugated sheeting, guttering and downspout with associated fittings please? We're going to refurbish the 'nodding gate' and these are urgently required. If anyone's noticed we've already done the lighting for that gate and are going to do the lighting for the whole of the walkway from the gate to the terracing. Luckily the lighting etc. has already been donated so now waiting for a nice, warm Sunday morning.
Billy Blue

Colin Appleton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Colin Appleton » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:12 pm

I don't know how much it would cost but has the club ever considered pressure washing the terracing ? I'd imagine it's never been done and I'm sure it would make the ground look a lot better. A cathedral where I live has recently had the once over and it's transformed the place.

Keep up the good work, you're all a credit to the club.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 802

Post by spirit of 1990 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:04 pm

Colin Appleton wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:12 pm
I don't know how much it would cost but has the club ever considered pressure washing the terracing ? I'd imagine it's never been done and I'm sure it would make the ground look a lot better. A cathedral where I live has recently had the once over and it's transformed the place.

Keep up the good work, you're all a credit to the club.
Power wash the terraces....did you bug our chat with Paul, Mark & Rob yesterday? That’s what was spoken about! Well done.

It’s something that will probably happen over summer, hopefully it’ll include a cherry picker so we can power wash the Ray Wilkie stand roof as well.
Now this is when we’ll really need volunteers as it’ll be a huge job.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 19

Post by HenneysKnee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Do they still get apprentices in (from Furness College iirc) to paint the ground?

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:08 am

HenneysKnee wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 pm
Do they still get apprentices in (from Furness College iirc) to paint the ground?
That was an arrangement we had with the college and was quite a while ago now. It was always difficult arranging times and knowing exactly what level skill-wise they were up to. Along them lines, a gentleman has been in touch with me who has several lads he teaches who’d be willing to help out with a lot of these outside jobs, I’ll speak with him further when the weather starts to pick up.

Many thanks to Dodger for giving us six doors after we asked the other day and once again a huge thank you to capman & his mate who met me after work yesterday to transport the doors back to the ground. Andy also donated a very decent amount of guttering for us to use on the away supporters toilets.

One thing we are still stuck with are all these kitchen appliencies, a car with a tow bar would have it sorted for the club within an hour. Any offers would really help us out.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 315

Post by Holkerbird » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 am

Can't over estimate the value of support Capman gives the volunteer team. Materials, donations, professional advice and time. Always there to help when needed.
Thank you Andy.

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 26

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 am

Holkerbird wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 am
Can't over estimate the value of support Capman gives the volunteer team. Materials, donations, professional advice and time. Always there to help when needed.
Thank you Andy.
Best General builder in Barrow
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

Adam29
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Adam29 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 pm

The interview i did with Neil and Peter from the volunteers and Mark Hetherington will be broadcast this Friday on the sports hour from 6pm - 7pm

Adam29
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Adam29 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

Incase people didn’t catch tonights sports hour featuring my interview with the maintenance team and mark hetherington from the board it can be found here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p070qh19

McMark
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 31

Post by McMark » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Adam29 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm
Incase people didn’t catch tonights sports hour featuring my interview with the maintenance team and mark hetherington from the board it can be found here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p070qh19
Cheers Adam! Firstly Ian Evatt interview starts 38:25 in and Adams interview follows on 50:30
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

whitty1969
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 132

Post by whitty1969 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 am

Another visit tomorrow. Quite a few regulars missing
If the weather stays like this it will only be indoor work.
Doors open at 8.30 this week. All welcome

whitty1969
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 132

Post by whitty1969 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:34 pm

Lots of regulars missing this week, but a total of 7 there to help
Barrowaberdeen was down and also Mike who has joined up with us.

Home changing room shower lighting now fixed properly
Study centre lighting. 4 lights back up and running. Need 2 fittings replacing still
Floodlight base plates measured up
Ground cleared (mainly wind rubbish)
All the old fridges/electrical appliances now at the tip except one which the tip people refused to take
Crossbar cleaned
Lighting been worked on in preparation for cellar work
Demolishing of the old lean too toilets in the away end has started and will be progressed during the week.

Well done all.....a good mornings work.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 pm

For those interested, there’ll be a ground visit on Sunday - as always (and especially after a home game) there’ll be plenty to do. We really need a couple of people to do a bit of litter picking inside the ground - but all skills are appreciated & really help the club out. If you can help out just pop down anytime after 9:00am.

Brews and buns will be supplied by the Bob In Cafe who have done this for the last five months, which has been really appreciated by everyone who turns up.

Without your help & donations this couldn’t carry on, so thank you.
Last edited by spirit of 1990 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Another fantastic turnout at the ground today, I think there were 13 involved with various jobs.

X Bar had its usual post match clean by Elaine & Young Becca. The old floodlight room has had its “falling apart” door replaced. The gap in the X Bar path fencing has been closed off with two new fence panels. The litter picking department seemed very popular today with a couple of local VIPs (😁) picking up the discarded rubbish from yesterday in the shape of Trust chairman and RC match commentator.

A few thank you’s.

Once again to The Bob In Cafe for supplying the breakfast buns for everyone. He has done this every Sunday we’ve been at the ground since Sept/Oct.

Nick for donating an electric drill for our workshop.

And Dave Fletcher who gave us a very generous cash donation yesterday.