Grimsby

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Reg
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Grimsby

Post by Reg » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:41 am

If I were in charge, I'd rest as many of our stronger players as possible on Saturday.

The two games against Hyde and Ebbsfleet are way more important.

We have a full squad available to us just at the right time of the season.

We probably have little chance of beating Grimsby and it could take valuable energy out of the players for the two following games, which are easily our two biggest games of the season.

Players I would definitely not play would be, Boyes, Harvey, Baker & Skelton.

Let the flaming of my suggestion begin :)

The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer

Bennyfromormsgill
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grimsby

Post by Bennyfromormsgill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:14 am

We can beat grimsby they havnt won there last 6 games including trophy final,i know 4 games in a week is a lot but we must keep this momentum up,we need our best players out on that pitch.Dave could always substitute them if he feels the time is right.Come on we can do this :)
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 am

I'm not sure Reg, I can see your point but I've never been a fan of changing a winning team. Keep the momentum going, can always bring 3 of them (say Boyes, Harvey and Baker) off after 60/70mins if we are getting thrashed

Barrowabc
Gold Member

Post by Barrowabc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 am

HenneysKnee wrote:I'm not sure Reg, I can see your point but I've never been a fan of changing a winning team. Keep the momentum going, can always bring 3 of them (say Boyes, Harvey and Baker) off after 60/70mins if we are getting thrashed
I'm with you ! Why change a winning team, I also think we'll turn them over been honest :shock: there's no one who's way above us and hopefully cookie will play shat ;) don't care what anyone says I still think we could win every game only one worry for me would be mansfield the flash [SwearFilter] ;)
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash

Jim
Platinum Member

Grimsby

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am

It risks breaking up cohesion and team spirit. I would start with the same team, if fit, but make some early (2nd half) subs.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 am

Not too sure about resting players although I'd be happy with DB juggling the team about a bit to accomodate D M Rowe & Ruther's if both are are back to full fitness.
I thought Boyes did a fantastic job in an unusual role for him - even helping out when Hunter was pulled out of position. As I said though with other players coming back Boyes need's to be up front chasing balls, harrasing defender's, forcing opposition player's into making mistsakes, something that D L Rowe doesn't do enough of.

Boyes & D L Rowe have to start up front for me on Saturday....& for the remaining games.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator

Post by Ste Story » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:23 am

Nuneaton rested alot of their players against Mansfield on Tuesday and nearly scraped a point :D

But for me, I think we should be looking at every game as the chance of points at the moment, look at FGR and Newport this season where we've picked up unexpected points, they're in dreadful form and a point may not be beyond our reaches.
BarrowAFC.net Site Admin - Contact Me
Spatiari ut Progrediaris

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 am

Id be thinking more along the lines of go there and try and win the game, nothing to lose, they will be massive favourites, and would a point be any good to us? Everyone else seems to be winning games. Saying that theres not much chance of DB going there to attack.
Bish=God

thegaffer77
Platinum Member

Post by thegaffer77 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 am

Need the points whoever plays. As much chance as beating them as we have Ebbsfleet and Hyde. Take a draw though! ;)
Stood behind Ray Wilkie for years. Best education I ever had.

Mike Wilson
Silver Member

Post by Mike Wilson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Why O Why won't DB use his subs, especially now as we have a fully fit squad, extra players & lots of games to fit in in a short time frame ?

Most managers make changes around the 60/65 min, Even drop zone managers, If DB also did this it would rest those coming off & give the subs valuable game time to keep the squad fresh and in tune with each other, Intelligent rotation IMHO will be better for our chances of staying up.
At least Mad Russell can hold on to a lead easier than BAFC

Jim
Platinum Member

Grimsby

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Mike Wilson wrote:Why O Why won't DB use his subs, especially now as we have a fully fit squad, extra players & lots of games to fit in in a short time frame ?

Most managers make changes around the 60/65 min, Even drop zone managers, If DB also did this it would rest those coming off & give the subs valuable game time to keep the squad fresh and in tune with each other, Intelligent rotation IMHO will be better for our chances of staying up.
On the bench there were 2 defenders and a keeper. It would have been madness to disturb our defence with subs. That leaves Ruthers, who came on, and Rowe. Who should he have replaced with Rowe?

'Ireland's dullest priest' was asked around the 70 min mark if he would make subs and even he said it was a very difficult one to call.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Mike Wilson wrote:Why O Why won't DB use his subs, especially now as we have a fully fit squad, extra players & lots of games to fit in in a short time frame ?

He probably thinks that they are not as suitable as the first eleven he chose. Ruthers came on last night after 67 minutes; not sure whether tactical or due to Dawson runnning out of steam or injury.

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm

Six weeks ago I would have said this was a nailed on home win and the use of a calculator was recommended. Since then Grimsby's title challenge has stalled and they are now clinging on to a play-off place ( of course this could have been pre-FAT induced). Their woeful display at Wembley when only the keeper saved them from a hammering within 90 minutes has only alienated the fans more.They have however taken swift action dispatching Brodie, the fans no.1 scapegoat, back to Crawley and bringing in Cleveland Taylor a winger on loan from Burton (wasn't he once at Carlisle ?). There is also a rumour on their board that Liam Hearn their top scorer last season who is yet to kick a ball this term after a pre-season injury could be on the brink of a return. This will undoubtedly lift the crowd.Pressure will be on them more being the home team and they are desparate for points to re-ignite their title challenge. I hope we don't go to park the bus. Invariably that would lead to one slip ,we'd start to chase the game and the floodgates would open.We need to go at them from the kick-off. If its still goalless after half an hour or so the crowd will start to get on their back.Whats more we need to start praying that some of our rivals stutter.
Last edited by SKIPPER on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 pm

I always get a bit excited after a win thinking- yep this is our strongest line up now, then you know what happens. But after last night I'm thinking we are playing with more consistent performances than 10 games ago and any team with Hurst, Hunter at right back, Hessey in the Centre Back, Owen breaking things up in the middle, ARH making attacking runs and Boyes up top then we've got a a chance. I think these are our key players and any from our small squad around this core and I think we've got a strong line up.

edit-

we can get something down there. We are playing our best football now at the right time and creating good chances.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Leo
Bronze Member

Post by Leo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Barrow-in-Furness - The 19th happiest place in Britain