Grimsby

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Toffeebluebird
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grimsby

Post by Toffeebluebird » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:48 pm

I see the benefits of resting players but it all depends on how the players feel, they will be on a high at the moment so I don't see any reason to mess around, however, it sounds like Boyes might need a bit of a break so maybe bring Rowe/Ruthers in and play him and Dawson as a front 3 with L Rowe up top, obviously gives us the chance to make it tight in midfield if needed as well.

We need the points in every game so lets do it.

Mike Wilson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mike Wilson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Jim wrote:
Mike Wilson wrote:Why O Why won't DB use his subs, especially now as we have a fully fit squad, extra players & lots of games to fit in in a short time frame ?

Most managers make changes around the 60/65 min, Even drop zone managers, If DB also did this it would rest those coming off & give the subs valuable game time to keep the squad fresh and in tune with each other, Intelligent rotation IMHO will be better for our chances of staying up.
On the bench there were 2 defenders and a keeper. It would have been madness to disturb our defence with subs. That leaves Ruthers, who came on, and Rowe. Who should he have replaced with Rowe?

'Ireland's dullest priest' was asked around the 70 min mark if he would make subs and even he said it was a very difficult one to call.
Jim & Hadrian, I was meaning for the run in as we now have a squad fit and chomping at the bit as our form recently is very good (we shouls have a few more wins under our belts but as we all know we've been unlucky with conceding last min goals or our lack of punch) but playing wise we have been good.

So use 2 or 3 subs per game IMO as each game merits etc, Example tell player/s xxx give me a 90 min showing in 60 min then swap them out,the sub gives his all for the last 30, I am sure you catch my drift.
At least Mad Russell can hold on to a lead easier than BAFC

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I always remember Ray Wilkie saying 'if I thought the players on the bench were better than those on the pitch I would have started with them.'

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Don't buy DB's sub policy, even when there is decent options he never uses them, the subs are rarely seen warming up.
Bish=God

AdamRyanDawson

Post by AdamRyanDawson » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I disagree, we will beat Grimbsy tommorow! The moods good and were hyped for the game.

K-Man
Platinum Member

Post by K-Man » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:47 pm

AdamRyanDawson wrote:I disagree, we will beat Grimbsy tommorow! The moods good and were hyped for the game.
Good lad

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:44 pm

I like it when our footballer's come on here (so long as it really is you Adam!!) & just add little post's.....God help you when a pass of your's goes astray & someone off the pop side comment's though :lol:

Bag a goal for us all tomorrow.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

HarryWiggins76

Post by HarryWiggins76 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 pm

AdamRyanDawson wrote:I disagree, we will beat Grimbsy tommorow! The moods good and were hyped for the game.
Like the positive attitude, think a point would be a great result tomorrow . The 3 home games next week are gonna decide if we stay up or not, big week.

Barrowabc
Gold Member

Post by Barrowabc » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:59 am

You'll do for us Adam ;) we'll batter them like fish ;)
Love many, trust afew, but always paddle your own canoe ! My spelling is gash

Reg
Platinum Member

Post by Reg » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:19 am

That is good to hear.

I was just taking the long view. With a thin squad, you have to pick your battles.

It doesn't really matter how we do against Grimsby, because our season will be decided by how we do in our next two home games, which is why I made the original post.

Good luck today. Picking up the points would be a huge bonus!
The views expressed on this site are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer