Grimes

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 am

Hitthebar22 wrote:
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:

Over 150 football league appearances but yeah hes [SwearFilter] because he didn't run around a lot.
He is a rubbish player because he scored 2 goals, yes, 2, in 49 appearances for Bury, Walsall and Barow * -

*Source : Wikipedia.


Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Hitthebar22
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by Hitthebar22 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 am

So what?
Is it inaccurate?

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am

Hitthebar22 wrote:So what?
Is it inaccurate?
If you look further down his wiki page youll see something closer to his actual record.

198 Appearances 44 Goals . A goal every 4 games , something Andy Howarth could only dream of. That is not a bad record for a winger/midfielder. Also that doesn't take into account assists created.

But hes shit because he didn't run around a lot like James Owen used to....
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

User avatar
chipmunx
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
Location: Fortress Holker Street
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by chipmunx » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:47 am

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
Hitthebar22 wrote:So what?
Is it inaccurate?
If you look further down his wiki page youll see something closer to his actual record.

198 Appearances 44 Goals . A goal every 4 games , something Andy Howarth could only dream of. That is not a bad record for a winger/midfielder. Also that doesn't take into account assists created.

But hes [SwearFilter] because he didn't run around a lot like James Owen used to....
it doesn't matter whether he's brilliant or rubbish - he doesn't fit the Cox work ethic - and isn't well over 6' tall. you need to either try your heart out or be effective (or both) to be in Cox's plans and sadly Grimes wasn't
Bring it on!!!

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:49 am

chipmunx wrote:
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
If you look further down his wiki page youll see something closer to his actual record.

198 Appearances 44 Goals . A goal every 4 games , something Andy Howarth could only dream of. That is not a bad record for a winger/midfielder. Also that doesn't take into account assists created.

But hes [SwearFilter] because he didn't run around a lot like James Owen used to....
it doesn't matter whether he's brilliant or rubbish

Well it kind of does doesn't it?
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

User avatar
spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 8114
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 am

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
Hitthebar22 wrote:So what?
Is it inaccurate?
If you look further down his wiki page youll see something closer to his actual record.

198 Appearances 44 Goals . A goal every 4 games , something Andy Howarth could only dream of. That is not a bad record for a winger/midfielder. Also that doesn't take into account assists created.

But hes [SwearFilter] because he didn't run around a lot like James Owen used to....
I don't really get this line of "he didn't run around a lot so he's shit" being rolled out as a sarcastic defence of Grimes. I know what your getting at but I just don't think thats the case with him....at times he seemed totally disinterested. Even if the game isn't being played to his strengths he surely has to make the effort, look at Cowps, not the most skilful player but always gave 100% at whatever position he was put in.

I think thats what frustrated a lot of people, not the fact he "didn't run around a lot"
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
If you look further down his wiki page youll see something closer to his actual record.

198 Appearances 44 Goals . A goal every 4 games , something Andy Howarth could only dream of. That is not a bad record for a winger/midfielder. Also that doesn't take into account assists created.

But hes [SwearFilter] because he didn't run around a lot like James Owen used to....
I don't really get this line of "he didn't run around a lot so he's shit" being rolled out as a sarcastic defence of Grimes. I know what your getting at but I just don't think thats the case with him....at times he seemed totally disinterested. Even if the game isn't being played to his strengths he surely has to make the effort, look at Cowps, not the most skilful player but always gave 100% at whatever position he was put in.

I think thats what frustrated a lot of people, not the fact he "didn't run around a lot"

Surely running around a lot is a variant of not making effort?

Sadly the same thing used to happen with Richie Baker. Slated week in week out on here because he was good with the ball at his feet whereas James Owen was hailed because he ran around and got booked.
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Richard Ingham
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4532
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Chorley
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by Richard Ingham » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:08 am

If he was that good, why did he need to drop down to our level in the first place?

Just saying.
"Barrow produces world class feats of engineering on a regular basis. Kettering produces Weetabix" - @bafc_lancaster

"Danny Livesey collects stitches like nectar points" - @bafc_lancaster

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:13 am

Richard Ingham wrote:If he was that good, why did he need to drop down to our level in the first place?

Just saying.

We probably offered him shit loads of cash like we usually do these days and contractors at BAE go where the jobs are so......
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

User avatar
Steeley
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4838
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by Steeley » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:25 am

He was hugely underutilised at barrow, both last seasons managers failed in that respect. He will have been on a good wage and was regarded by a lot at the club as one of the most talented players.
But he really wasn't a player the majority of fans were ever going to warm to.
Bish=God

Moribund
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:30 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by Moribund » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 am

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
spirit of 1990 wrote:
I don't really get this line of "he didn't run around a lot so he's [SwearFilter]" being rolled out as a sarcastic defence of Grimes. I know what your getting at but I just don't think thats the case with him....at times he seemed totally disinterested. Even if the game isn't being played to his strengths he surely has to make the effort, look at Cowps, not the most skilful player but always gave 100% at whatever position he was put in.

I think thats what frustrated a lot of people, not the fact he "didn't run around a lot"

Surely running around a lot is a variant of not making effort?

Sadly the same thing used to happen with Richie Baker. Slated week in week out on here because he was good with the ball at his feet whereas James Owen was hailed because he ran around and got booked.
Oh, the Richie Baker that's spent the prime of his career bumming about in Conference North?
Baker was also twice the player of Grimes and weighed in with double figures.

Apart from his goal record years before signing for us, what are you basing your argument that he's a good player on?

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 am

Moribund wrote:
The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:

Surely running around a lot is a variant of not making effort?

Sadly the same thing used to happen with Richie Baker. Slated week in week out on here because he was good with the ball at his feet whereas James Owen was hailed because he ran around and got booked.
Oh, the Richie Baker that's spent the prime of his career bumming about in Conference North?
Baker was also twice the player of Grimes and weighed in with double figures.

Apart from his goal record years before signing for us, what are you basing your argument that he's a good player on?
Baker did well because at the time we had to fill the bench with Dave Bayliss and one other sub so competition for places wasn't really that high. Baker was guaranteed to start in behind the striker and was rarely/never forced to play out of position up front or out wide like Grimes. Baker took all penalties and free kicks which helped his final double figures but he will be on a very good wage at Fylde and it's close to his home. Fair play to him if that is comfortable enough for him to live with

I think when your captain for the last two seasons describes him as the best player he has ever played with is proof enough.

Ashley Grimes was underused and underutilised by both managers. End of.
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Grimes

Post by russell_anderson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:31 pm

"End of" in your mind! In my mind when I saw him "End of" was that he actually didn't contribute anything. Hovered in a 15 yard radius; never got in a decent position to receive the ball; never put in a challenge to win the ball; never passed the ball more than 10 yards sideways; never had a shot on goal or even got near enough to have a shot. Granted a few away matches isn't a lot to go on but it's enough to judge whether a player is contributing anything and he wasn't! He's certainly not the worst player I've seen play for Barrow but there aren't many I've seen contribute less in a game. IF Simon Grand said that then he hasn't played with many decent players and he obviously disagrees with his former manager who hardly ever picked Grimes and got rid of him as soon as he could! And even managers like Cox who obviously think big players are a bonus in this league don't get rid of smaller ones if he thinks they have something to offer as shown by the fact that he kept Harvey who was very impressive in the games I saw him play. Grimes may or may not have been decent (a relative term at the level he's always played) but he certainly wasn't when I watched him.

User avatar
The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 30
Posts: 6941
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:56 pm

russell_anderson wrote:"End of" in your mind! In my mind when I saw him "End of" was that he actually didn't contribute anything. Hovered in a 15 yard radius; never got in a decent position to receive the ball; never put in a challenge to win the ball; never passed the ball more than 10 yards sideways; never had a shot on goal or even got near enough to have a shot. Granted a few away matches isn't a lot to go on but it's enough to judge whether a player is contributing anything and he wasn't! He's certainly not the worst player I've seen play for Barrow but there aren't many I've seen contribute less in a game. IF Simon Grand said that then he hasn't played with many decent players and he obviously disagrees with his former manager who hardly ever picked Grimes and got rid of him as soon as he could! And even managers like Cox who obviously think big players are a bonus in this league don't get rid of smaller ones if he thinks they have something to offer as shown by the fact that he kept Harvey who was very impressive in the games I saw him play. Grimes may or may not have been decent (a relative term at the level he's always played) but he certainly wasn't when I watched him.
Hovering a 15 yard radius is exactly what players do when they play just off the striker. Thats like criticizing Andy Cook for his goal kicks. Players like Grimes want the ball to feet but our game plan last season was to get it on cookys head and hope the bounce favours us.

What "if"? Go on Simon Grands twitter its all there.

He kept him on for 6 months so he didn't really "get rid of him as soon as he could" did he?

Go home Russell , you're drunk.
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Hitthebar22
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:40 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Grimes

Post by Hitthebar22 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:58 pm

The Real Slim a former member of this forum wrote:
russell_anderson wrote:"End of" in your mind! In my mind when I saw him "End of" was that he actually didn't contribute anything. Hovered in a 15 yard radius; never got in a decent position to receive the ball; never put in a challenge to win the ball; never passed the ball more than 10 yards sideways; never had a shot on goal or even got near enough to have a shot. Granted a few away matches isn't a lot to go on but it's enough to judge whether a player is contributing anything and he wasn't! He's certainly not the worst player I've seen play for Barrow but there aren't many I've seen contribute less in a game. IF Simon Grand said that then he hasn't played with many decent players and he obviously disagrees with his former manager who hardly ever picked Grimes and got rid of him as soon as he could! And even managers like Cox who obviously think big players are a bonus in this league don't get rid of smaller ones if he thinks they have something to offer as shown by the fact that he kept Harvey who was very impressive in the games I saw him play. Grimes may or may not have been decent (a relative term at the level he's always played) but he certainly wasn't when I watched him.
Hovering a 15 yard radius is exactly what players do when they play just off the striker. Thats like criticizing Andy Cook for his goal kicks. Players like Grimes want the ball to feet but our game plan last season was to get it on cookys head and hope the bounce favours


What "if"? Go on Simon Grands twitter its all there.

He kept him on for 6 months so he didn't really "get rid of him as soon as he could" did he?

Go home Russell , you're drunk.
Haven't seen many supporters for your scintillating football analysis on here.
Perhaps that's because you are unrelentingly obnoxious as well as wrong.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: russell_anderson, Wildwolf and 25 guests

Login  •  Register