would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow battle to well deserved draw with high-flyers Wrexham

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Post Reply
Barrow Lad New
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm
Status: Offline

Barrow battle to well deserved draw with high-flyers Wrexham

Post by Barrow Lad New » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Barrow: Dixon, Barthram, Norrington-Davies, Granite, Wilson, Jameson, Taylor, Augustien, Rooney, Blyth, Smith
Half Time: Brown replaced Wilson
61: Kay replaced Augustien
76: Hindle replaced Smith

Wrexham: Lainton, Roberts, Jennings, Pearson, Summerfield, Young, Pyke, Walker, Beavon, Lawlor, Grant
27: Rutherford replaced Pyke
82: Fondop replaced Beavon

Booked: Pearson (44, foul on Smith); Walker (75, foul on Taylor)

Barrow battled for 90 minutes to more than earn a draw against third placed Wrexham. The weather and TV football kept the crowd down, with Wrexham supporters making up 116 of the 851 total. Despite the lack of goals, it was end-to-end entertainment with good chances and defending at both ends.

Two minutes in, Barrow tested Wrexham in a goalmouth scramble with a close-range shot and then a header. In the 18th minute, Joel Dixon saved a Luke Summerfield free kick from the left edge of the area.

Bobby Grant headed against Barrow’s left post in the 25th minute just before the Dragons were forced to make an early change, ex-Bluebird Paul Rutherford replacing Rekeil Pyke.

A 25 yard power shot from John Rooney on the half-hour then tested Rob Lainton. Three minutes later, Barrow came close again, a ball in from Kenny Augustien enabling a Tyler Smith shot which was blocked for a Rooney corner.

At the other end, in the 42nd minute, Joel Dixon punched away a dangerous Bobby Grant effort for a Luke Summerfield corner.

Connor Brown replaced Brian Wilson at half-time.

On the hour a good Wrexham counter and through ball from Rutherford gave Grant another chance on goal, but was thwarted by a good save from Dixon. Five minutes later, after Kay came on for Augustien, Barrow also had an excellent chance to score, Lainton saving a Jacob Blyth header from a Rhys Norrington-Davies cross.

With quarter of an hour of normal time remaining, Walker joined his teammate Pearson in the referees book, and Hindle replaced Smith as Barrow stepped up a gear in search of the winner.

A minute later we had two good efforts as Lainton could only parry a Rooney free kick- unfortunately there was no Barrow player in a position to slot in the rebound. Seconds later, a dangerous Hindle cross along the goal-line only needed a touch from Blyth at full stretch.

Fondop then replaced Beavon for the visitors and a battling last ten minutes saw both teams defending well with a 0-0 draw a fair result.

In an excellent team performance, Jason Taylor deserved his man of the match. We climb a place to 14th and travel to bottom-placed Braintree on Saturday.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigfathoss and 29 guests

Login  •  Register