BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

The Mail

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
SKIPPER
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

The Mail

Post by SKIPPER » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 am

Someone with fat fingers at the EM. According to Ian Evatt "We have noT got a team to go to war with". Bit worried till I realised the error.

Wintergreen
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Mail

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 am

SKIPPER wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:38 am
Someone with fat fingers at the EM. According to Ian Evatt "We have noT got a team to go to war with". Bit worried till I realised the error.
Can’t make head nor tail of this post. Anyone?
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

chipmunx
Veteran Member

Post by chipmunx » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:16 am

Wintergreen wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 am
SKIPPER wrote:
Can’t make head nor tail of this post. Anyone?
As per (Evening) Mail standard typos it should say "We have now got a team to go to war with"
Bring it on!!!

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am

SKIPPER wrote:

Got it - thank you.

That’s so funny. I wonder what Bob Herbert would make of the modern day journos? There were some really good readers photos in the Mail a few weeks back, one showed a lovely shot of Walney channel with Black Combe and the Lakeland peaks. The caption read something like ‘A large body of water typical of the south lakes’.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Main Stand SeasonTct

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:50 am

Wintergreen wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am
SKIPPER wrote:

Got it - thank you.

That’s so funny. I wonder what Bob Herbert would make of the modern day journos? There were some really good readers photos in the Mail a few weeks back, one showed a lovely shot of Walney channel with Black Combe and the Lakeland peaks. The caption read something like ‘A large body of water typical of the south lakes’.
Its sad to see that The Mail is lacking in any Barrovians as reporters. The last ones jumped ship when Newsquest took over. Nothing against this very "young" group of reporters currently working for The Mail but IMO a local paper needs a sprinkling of born and bred locals working for the local paper. That being said with sales at little over 5000 copies a day the daily edition is looking increasingly under threat.

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am

To be honest, there can't be many towns of Barrow's size that still have a daily local paper. Even though it isn't really Barrovian any more.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm

I have no idea how The Mail keeps going as a daily newspaper

tictactoe
Platinum Member

Post by tictactoe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Sooner it’s weekly or not at all the better - it’s chip paper at best nowadays
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

Arvo
Silver Member

Post by Arvo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 pm

tictactoe wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 pm
Sooner it’s weekly or not at all the better - it’s chip paper at best nowadays
It's been weakly since long before I stopped living in Barrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zXDo4dL7SU
Last edited by Arvo on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:01 pm

HenneysKnee wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:08 pm
I have no idea how The Mail keeps going as a daily newspaper
No different to most of the regional press in that sense with groups such as Newsquest, MEN, Johnston Press buying up titles then titles sharing some stories as well as cutting staff and costs, centralising production and services such as IT.

As far as sales go in the north-west (average daily paid-for figures for July - December, 2018 according to ABC)
The Mail, Barrow: 4860
News and Star, West Cumbria: 1671
News and Star, North-East Cumbria: 4338 (the two N&S titles have high degree of commonality but present as proper editions, more so than the different 'editions' of The Mail)
Lancashire Evening Post, Preston: 7916
Lancashire Evening Gazette, Blackpool: 7010
Lancashire Evening Telegraph, Blackburn: 7023
Bolton News: 7873

Weeklies (average daily paid-for figures for July - December, 2018 according to ABC)
Cumberland News: 14502
Whitehaven News: 6183
Hexham Courant: 9174
Cumberland and Westmorland Herald: 11390
Keswick Reminder: 3400 (not ABC audited)
Westmorland Gazette: 14894
West Cumberland Times and Star: 7670
Lancaster Guardian: ? (not ABC audited)
The Visitor, Morecambe: ? (not ABC audited)
Rossendale Free Press: 4944
Accrington Observer: 4603

So, Barrow's paper is not too different from other regional dailies, taking size of population into account. The smaller circulation presumably means a smaller staff, mainly based at Kendal nowadays, and their inexperience and lack of local knowledge has become fairly obvious of late. There must be a risk of merger, perhaps to produce a rebadged 'Cumbria' title and that would be a shame with the inevitable focus on Carlisle again, as in so many areas since 1974. There really is not a great commonality between the Carlisle area and Furness & the South Lakes.

Not sure how someone can believe that the town would be better without the paper. don't buy it or look at he website if you feel that way. Maybe you have top ideas on what the 'local press' should be? Perhaps you and like-minded could test your ideas using Blogger or Wordpress to see if there's a potential following?

It is important for Barrow to avoid losing another local amenity but I can only imagine that being the end result given the readiness of people to be so critical, perhaps with some justification, of The Mail. (I acknowledge that some people are just negative by nature.) Maybe the new editor will be able to turn things around with the print edition but the web site seems to follow a company template with rubbish 'Clickbait' items mingled among the news stories. Letting numpties run riot in the Comments section of stories doesn't help - it really needs stricter moderation but then there's a cost involved in that.

Anyway, we have gone deep into 'Off Topic'. Sorry.

tictactoe
Platinum Member

Post by tictactoe » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 pm

I don’t buy it I read it online as last time I did buy it it contained a lot of news from up the coast and not barrow and surrounding area so to speak
I appreciate your opinion we are all entitled to one after all sorry if mine isn’t the same as yours
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am

No apology necessary - we are all entitled to opinions.