BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

SQUAD

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
DaveP
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 2

SQUAD

Post by DaveP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:55 am

Manager says he wants 20 and currently has 18 who look very good.

Where do we need the other two?

A dominant centre half?

Another striker or midfielder?

Moribund
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 3

Re: SQUAD

Post by Moribund » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 am

One will be another striker, whether that's Turner or someone else, and the other should really be someone who can cover at left-back and centre-back. I'm used to us having a squad-ful of triallists for pre-season!

memories of 67

Post by memories of 67 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:20 am

Definitely a centre half (Can't see Wilson passing muster) and a left sided full back/wing back (we only have Brough for those positions).
Remember, doing a good job that goes unseen is like wetting yourself in a dark suit.
YOU GET A WARM FEELING BUT NO ONE ELSE NOTICES.

DaveP
Gold Member

Post by DaveP » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:21 am

perhaps he's gonna wait and see what trialists turn up he might just find a gem

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Suffolk Blue » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

DaveP wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:21 am
perhaps he's gonna wait and see what trialists turn up he might just find a gem
Could be. Though you get the impression that this will be a very different pre-season during which the primary aim will be to bring the squad to the boil rather than seek additional squad members. If Turner can prove his fitness IE has made it pretty clear that he'll stay with us this season. Wilson - not so sure. Clearly we need to beware of Jacob Blyth like injuries which might change things but at best/worst I can only see a couple of additional bodies (perhaps one of those might also be a short term loan if required).

Therefore I would guess that IEs primary objective will be to assess fitness and form and who plays well with whom and where so that he has some proven options available from the get-go. This will be a tremendous step forward for the squad though it'll make the usual A N OTHER and S O ELSE watch a little less interesting.

chipmunx
Veteran Member

Post by chipmunx » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:15 am

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we get a 2nd season long loanee from Sheff Utd. And Tyler Smith's half brother does play in the defensive positions mentioned above - and as mentioned on another thread he has been liking Barrow posts on twitter.
not sure if we will get another striker - we have Hindle, Penfold, Dior Angus, Quigley and Oliver Greaves who can all play up front and Kay who can play the winger role.
looking forward to Saturday to see the team and learn more about who the new guys are.
Bring it on!!!

Hitthebar22
Veteran Member

Post by Hitthebar22 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm

I’d like to see someone in the squad who is devastatingly quick....maybe a wing back or midfielder. Perhaps used as an impact player. Anyone remember the Dover game last season? They brought on a black lad mid way through the second half I seem to remember who played on the left hand side and tore us to shreds....he made one and scored one I think......all done with electrifying pace and we couldn’t handle it. A really valuable player to have in this league, but like hens teeth, as most will be playing in the football league. But, might be a potential loanee out there somewhere......?

Moribund
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Moribund » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Hitthebar22 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:56 pm
I’d like to see someone in the squad who is devastatingly quick....maybe a wing back or midfielder. Perhaps used as an impact player. Anyone remember the Dover game last season? They brought on a black lad mid way through the second half I seem to remember who played on the left hand side and tore us to shreds....he made one and scored one I think......all done with electrifying pace and we couldn’t handle it. A really valuable player to have in this league, but like hens teeth, as most will be playing in the football league. But, might be a potential loanee out there somewhere......?
Anthony Jeffrey is the player you're referring too - currently available on a free

Hitthebar22
Veteran Member

Post by Hitthebar22 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Yes, definitely Anthony Jeffrey. Thanks for that.
Not a bad asset to our (so far impressive) squad if we could get him......or someone like him...
Have to say at the moment I’ve 100% confidence in IE, and as far as I’m concerned he can bring in who he likes......

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:17 am

Very rare that we have a team sorted so early in the season all looks good.
Now up to the fans to support the team.
Please can we gave a run in the FA Cup and get drawn away to one of the lesser teams in the Premier League like Liverpool,Man Utd or City
Build a bank balance

mrsenario
Gold Member

Post by mrsenario » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 am

Radio Cumbria saying he wants a centre back and another forward... sounds about right

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 am

Hitthebar22 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:39 pm
Yes, definitely Anthony Jeffrey. Thanks for that.
Not a bad asset to our (so far impressive) squad if we could get him......or someone like him...
Have to say at the moment I’ve 100% confidence in IE, and as far as I’m concerned he can bring in who he likes......
My memory is poor but l do remember that guy coming on and setting about business as if Real Madrid were watching him. Similar to our first glimpse of Sunderland’s Joel Dixon playing for Boston was it? Outstanding -although setting a standard probably impossible to maintain.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jonty » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

He turned the game on its head that lad and we could not deal with his direct pace. That is what we need, players who can impact games. With that in mind I would still like to see if Kemy Augustien is available. A player who we missed when he left, and who, as the commentator said, "has that bit of magic in his boots". Without a club last time I checked. 32/33 but the experience and skill would really benefit the younger players and the way we play.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

memories of 67

Post by memories of 67 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Jonty wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm
He turned the game on its head that lad and we could not deal with his direct pace. That is what we need, players who can impact games. With that in mind I would still like to see if Kemy Augustien is available. A player who we missed when he left, and who, as the commentator said, "has that bit of magic in his boots". Without a club last time I checked. 32/33 but the experience and skill would really benefit the younger players and the way we play.
Why are so many people on here obsessed with bringing back Ex-players, I say once they've gone they're gone. Augustien is just a mercenary, leave well alone, I'm sure IE will be of the same opinion. I would rather see us sign a 21-22 year old who has ambition to improve and us having a good chance of making some money, just like we are doing with the likes of Hardcastle, Penfold & Waddington.
Remember, doing a good job that goes unseen is like wetting yourself in a dark suit.
YOU GET A WARM FEELING BUT NO ONE ELSE NOTICES.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jonty » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:21 pm

And likewise, when mentioning ex players, do some people insist on it being an obsession?
I want players to benefit our side and the best measure of that i have as a fan is having seen them play. For me Augustien would bring that extra quality and experience. The fact hes played for us previously under Evatt and shown what he can do reinforces that.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc