BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Morecambe FC pre season

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Dwayne Beresford
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 am
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Dwayne Beresford » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am

Wintergreen wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:54 am
SKIPPER wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 am
Turn the clock back10 years and arguably our greatest ever transformation -near relegation to play-off promotion - was partly masterminded by a 40 year old midfielder.There are plenty of young bucks in the squad to do all his running and grafting. His age might be to our advantage scaring off possible EFL clubs.
Post of the Week

(Which l am thinking of reviving by the way due to overwhelming demand)
Please, for the love of God, don’t.


#BBB

blumooncrab
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by blumooncrab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 am

Taylor was outfoxed if you ask me . And if we have a better player for the same position he should get the nod.

One thing he had over Taylor was passing and , second, he seemed to have more time on the ball as well as mobility. I would have guessed (wrongly) that Fox was the younger man. If he is consistent and has the same desire as Taylor he would be first choice surely ?
Last edited by blumooncrab on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chipmunx
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 12:16 am
Location: Fortress Holker Street
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by chipmunx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:39 am

Bring it on!!!

User avatar
spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8079
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:50 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by spirit of 1990 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Well I thought their finishing was poor last night but after watching that I was mistaken....it was absolutely woeful.

First half we looked a bit out of sorts but the second half was much better. I can see Byron taking Turners sage and place.
Saltmer looks to be a very decent back-up keeper, bit on the short side but looked handy.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3778
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:28 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by HenneysKnee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 pm

Has Byron been anywhere else during pre season? I’m guessing the wages would be a (very) obvious sticking point this time around

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1076
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:18 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by russell_anderson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:27 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm
Well I thought their finishing was poor last night but after watching that I was mistaken....it was absolutely woeful.

First half we looked a bit out of sorts but the second half was much better. I can see Byron taking Turners sage and place.
Saltmer looks to be a very decent back-up keeper, bit on the short side but looked handy.
It certainly was! Even from the highlights they should have had at least 5 or 6!
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Middleton Nick
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 am
Location: Middleton LA6 Remote
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Middleton Nick » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:38 pm

HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Has Byron been anywhere else during pre season? I’m guessing the wages would be a (very) obvious sticking point this time around
I would think it's getting to the stage of, I've no club and I like Ian Evatt and Barrow, let's see how much they offer and I'm in as I might be out of work otherwise.Overrule the agent for once. I think he can do a good job for us under Evatt and from what i've seen (2 games) prefer him to Quigley.
Last edited by Middleton Nick on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue nige
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2090
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:21 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by blue nige » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm

We really like Byron.’

Barrow AFC boss Ian Evatt says trialist Byron Harrison could be offered a deal as long as club finances allow it.

He was a goalscorer last night.


BBC Radio Cumbria Twitter.
Last edited by blue nige on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 6405
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Jonty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm

The Board will be doing their utmost to get deals over the line for these players. Hopefully too, Harrison and Fox can see what a good side we have and that they want to be part of it. Keeping my feet firmly on the ground as it is pre season, but if that second half is the standard we achieve week in week out we have a top 5 side here.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

the ray wilkie stand
New Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:49 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by the ray wilkie stand » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

We do have a lot of centre midfielders if fox signs, cant see a role for waddington based on what I've seen so far. I agree I prefer Harrison to Quigley too and a far better option than Turner.

Still desperately short at centre back but maybe the lad Graham on loan is the answer.

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:57 pm
Location: Barrow
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by JammyBluebird » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Jonty wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm
The Board will be doing their utmost to get deals over the line for these players. Hopefully too, Harrison and Fox can see what a good side we have and that they want to be part of it. Keeping my feet firmly on the ground as it is pre season, but if that second half is the standard we achieve week in week out we have a top 5 side here.
Are we though? Can't really say that until a few games in when other games are played. We have nothing to benchmark ourselves against yet. Some of the other midtable teams or lower could have recruited well and pushed on.
Last edited by JammyBluebird on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big E
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 651
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Big E » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 pm


ossickbluebird
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:43 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by ossickbluebird » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 pm

I kind of agree with a couple of posters who think we could be a top 5 side if you're going off the quality of football we can play, some of it very slick in that second half, but we could have been well beaten last night if it wasn't for some woeful finishing. Saying that, Angus and our #14 both missed sitters so it could have ended up 4-4. Get a bit tighter at the back and we could have a good season

User avatar
Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 8
Posts: 6405
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Jonty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm

JammyBluebird wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm
Jonty wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm
The Board will be doing their utmost to get deals over the line for these players. Hopefully too, Harrison and Fox can see what a good side we have and that they want to be part of it. Keeping my feet firmly on the ground as it is pre season, but if that second half is the standard we achieve week in week out we have a top 5 side here.
Are we though? Can't really say that until a few games in when other games are played. We have nothing to benchmark ourselves against yet. Some of the other midtable teams or lower could have recruited well and pushed on.
I’m benchmarking on what I’ve seen in conference football over the last 10 years and believe that we now have a side more than capable of breaking into the top 5. We have continuity rolling over from last season, Evatt has a fantastic winning mentality and the players respond to that. He is aiming top 5 and so should the fans
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

User avatar
Mark Johnson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: London
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Morecambe FC pre season

Post by Mark Johnson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:39 pm

Jonty wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:30 pm
JammyBluebird wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm


Are we though? Can't really say that until a few games in when other games are played. We have nothing to benchmark ourselves against yet. Some of the other midtable teams or lower could have recruited well and pushed on.
I’m benchmarking on what I’ve seen in conference football over the last 10 years and believe that we now have a side more than capable of breaking into the top 5. We have continuity rolling over from last season, Evatt has a fantastic winning mentality and the players respond to that. He is aiming top 5 and so should the fans
There can't be that much in the difference of quality between a lot of teams in this league. The main difference comes in perception. We have always perceived ourselves as lucky to be in this league, top 15 finish is a success. Scraping relegation avoidance by 1 point at the end of a season is enough.

Evatt has tried to change that mindset. He speaks about Barrow as a football club in ways that I've never even heard our biggest fans speak about us. This is good, but the measure of it all will be our league position come the end of April. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by Mark Johnson on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: barrow-mike and 28 guests

Login  •  Register