Prediction for the season

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Prediction for the season

Post by Suffolk Blue » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:40 am

McMark wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:19 am
Predictions are exactly what it says on the tin! Some will be more pessimistic than others and some will be overly optimistic.
All I know is we have come such a long way together in such a short length of time and if we continue to work together both financially and structurally then it can only benefit the club and it’s townsfolk and outlying areas.
This ship will sail only as far as it’s passenger crew will allow ultimately, as it is all hands on deck. Who knows what new horizons we can discover together!
Your exactly right. Predictions are just that. There are no right ones or wrong ones at the time they are made. I over-analysed the issue after several beers. But I also think your second point is very important. It is not true that there is no correlation between a happy, better run club and on field attitudes or potential success. As an ex-pat its often easy to divorce the immediate fortunes of the club from the viability of the club as a community asset. In that respect what has been achieved in the last few months has been impressive. Whether we have a good August or not doesn't change this.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jonty » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:24 am

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:20 pm
Jonty wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 pm
No one outside the Barrow camp believes we will be anywhere near the play offs. Absolutely no one. Tipsters, bookies, sticking with the usuals.
Truth is we have nothing in our profile or history which remotely suggests any likelihood for league success. So we are not immediately identifiable as potential winners. As Barrovians we see ourselves as distinctive, even unique when compared to the urban dross or the suburban masses. From the alternative perspective however its we who are invisible, insignificant if occasionally seen as quite quaint. Any BAFC fan of many years standing will have come to realise and experience this. Its just the way it is.

This is probably what gets Ian Evatt scratching his head about BAFC supporters i.e. how a group that can be so vocal, passionate and at least on occasions, supportive of the club and town never seem to be able to bring themselves to really believe that the outcome should be positive. As for what evidence there is, it all suggests that we are at this point significantly stronger and more efficient as a team/club than we were 12 months ago both on and off the field and are much better equipped to actually deal with the prospect of doing well (a strange prospect I know).
Are we vocal though, away yes, but at home, definitely not. If we could generate at Holker Street the vocal support the team gets on the road then that would be brilliant. The whole place would be lifted.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Si_Nichols
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Si_Nichols » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:15 am
Si_Nichols wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 pm
Mark that was a very boring and long post that I didn't get to end of!! :sentoff: :D

Truth is no-one has a clue right now. Pre season means bugger all. We look better and more together off the field than we have done for years but that counts for nothing on it.

Our August fixture list is tough on paper. Let's see where we are as the summer is a distant memory and the rain and leaves start to fall
Yes Si. I do long and boring really well dont I? Obviously too much time on my hands these days. Optimism is for arseh*les.
I hope you could tell I was joking Mark :lol:

I have to say I have never been so optimistic about a new season but most of that does stem from off the pitch activities and the real business of football now begins. I will be more than happy if we can repeat last season's performance but maybe flirt with playoffs a bit more plus have a bit of a cup run. Mid-table mediocrity can be very dull

DaveC
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DaveC » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:26 pm

I haven't seen a whole game so far, just a 20-25 minute spell against a Blackpool XI. My observations are based on that, not best I know, but it's all I have.

We still don't seem to be able to shoot much, over elaborate in the final third of the field, we need to score goals to succeed (obvious I know).
Midfield seemed very comfortable passing the ball around, look good in possession, hopefully that will bode well for us.
Defensively speaking we looked okay in spells, then seemed to switch off and allow the other team to attack at will.
The keeper(s) are decent, but only as good as the defence in front of them, if they both stay fit they will do us well.

I reckon a mid table finish will be good for us.
Dave C

Keep asking questions, don't eat the bullshit!

Mr Zebedee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mr Zebedee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Doubtful if we're good enough for the playoffs, but I don't think we'll be relegated either.
13th or 14th perhaps

If there's one thing Evatt should change for this season, it's that he should tell the forewards not to be afraid to shoot at goal whenever they see a scoring opportunity. Obviously it won't work every time, but it's getting the ball in the net more times than the opponents that earn the league points.

olbarrafancumbak
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by olbarrafancumbak » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:50 am

Mr Zebedee wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm
Doubtful if we're good enough for the playoffs, but I don't think we'll be relegated either.
13th or 14th perhaps

If there's one thing Evatt should change for this season, it's that he should tell the forewards not to be afraid to shoot at goal whenever they see a scoring opportunity. Obviously it won't work every time, but it's getting the ball in the net more times than the opponents that earn the league points.
This^^ I think anywhere there is a sniff of a chance around the 18yd box, the players should have a pop!
I think trying to walk it home sometimes ruins the elements of suprise, gives defence time to take stock and for the majority, mop up the danger!
Law of averages surly mean for every 10 strikes, at least 1 will go in??
I'm sure it's all to do with not loosing possession for Ian, keep the ball mens no counter attack I guess and limits opposition chances? Is that the mark of a former defender? Or a cautious modern thinking manager?

More goals scored had got to be a good thing right?

olbarrafancumbak
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by olbarrafancumbak » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am

Still gonna stick my neck out and say playoffs at least!!

Without belief, we may as well not bother getting out of bed!

#believe