Wrexham v Barrow

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
McMark
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Wrexham v Barrow

Post by McMark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:11 pm

Middleton Nick wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:08 pm
Did they give the number of away support ?
283 bud

Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JammyBluebird » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:15 pm

I think heads dropped on and off the park yesterday once the equaliser went in. Everyone was hoping for a repeat of last season (myself included).
I think the style of football we play has a few folk thinking we have can always be getting points at the big money teams in this league. We're still small fry by all accounts, and fans and players alike need to put 100% in if we want to improve on last season.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Jonty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:11 pm

JammyBluebird wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:15 pm
big money teams in this league. We're still small fry by all accounts
It’s a total mindest thing. We should have gone on and won yesterday. Wrexham expect to beat us based upon history and perception that we are just little old Barrow. Unfortunately half of our fans think the same way. I’m saying nowadays there is probably little in it in terms of what is on the pitch. It sounds like they had one real danger man in Hooper who they are all raving about and a the other end we should have finished the game. Fine margins.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Should have been 3-0 or 3-1 up at half time. Daft free kick to give away for the first. Poor defending for the second or a good team effectively isolating an opponents weakness?

On we go.

McMark
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by McMark » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

BoltonBlue

Post by BoltonBlue » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 am

blumooncrab wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 am
Kieran wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:37 am

You think? I thought Barry did OK but Brough was awful. Slow, weak, got caught out of position a lot and gave posession away too often second half.
He didn’t look too slow when he raced 80 yards up the pitch and presented Angus with a golden opportunity, do you think ?
Fair point. But for their second goal to allow an attacker to out jump you at the back post without your feet even leaving the ground isn’t acceptable.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by barrowaberdeen » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:09 am

Kieran
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kieran » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:44 am

blumooncrab wrote:

He didn’t look too slow when he raced 80 yards up the pitch and presented Angus with a golden opportunity, do you think ?
Fair comment, although at the time I didn't think he exactly 'raced' up the pitch at a great pace and watching the highlights has confirmed that for me. I just though he got exposed more than he should've done, both for pace and strength. He also wasn't particularly good with possession in the second half but he wasn't the only one guilty of that.

I'm not writing him off, I just thought he was a bit of a weak link for us on Saturday.
Last edited by Kieran on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Just watched the highlights and it looked as though Wrexham were on top for most and deserved to win. Some decent football from Barrow, though, and a lovely move at the end and really good attempt from Angus. He missed a much easier chance in the first half, of course, but looks dangerous. Also liked the look of Greaves from the highlights. Granite seemed to struggle against Hooper and a poor attempt to defend for the second goal by a defender from the header across goal who seemed to let the forward jump without any challenge.

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am

Lets put a little perspective on this game. If anyone was asked before the fixtures came out who would you NOT like on the opening day ,then a trip to the hostile Racecourse would easily have been in the top half dozen.Yes we won there last season but that was partly due to poor selection and tactical decisions by Wrexhams' recently appointed new manager. Yet with a little bit of composure we could have come away with a point at least.One thing quite noticeable in the game is that gobby Pearson has not changed,throwing himself to the ground and waving his arms at the referee every time he went into the box.Lets draw a line and move on. I'll be far more concerned if we don't come up with the goods in our next two games.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 am

BoltonBlue wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 am
blumooncrab wrote:

Fair point. But for their second goal to allow an attacker to out jump you at the back post without your feet even leaving the ground isn’t acceptable.
I have to agree, the “jump” was virtually nonexistent. Anything more than what he did do would’ve seen him get to the ball first.

Poor defending really.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Moribund
Silver Member

Post by Moribund » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 am

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:00 am
BoltonBlue wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:41 am

I have to agree, the “jump” was virtually nonexistent. Anything more than what he did do would’ve seen him get to the ball first.

Poor defending really.
You can see from the highlights that he thought he had a free header. He's complaining that nobody told him there was a man behind him. He should've been aware, but I don't think he can be criticised for not jumping.

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am

New review of the game is now on www.footballgroundguide.com , courtesy of yours truly.

Jim
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:09 am

Steelworks End wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 am
New review of the game is now on www.footballgroundguide.com , courtesy of yours truly.
Took me a bit of time to find your review, so this is a direct link (I hope):

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/lea ... row-3-8-19

It reminded me that the last time I was at the Racecourse Ground it was to see Barrow (then in Div 4) play Wrexham in the FA Cup. I think it was twice in a couple of years. Memories of Tommy Dixon scoring a good goal (maybe two) and Barry Lowes giving away one with a horrible backpass from the half way line that was intercepted, resulting in us losing the game 3-2 :(
Last edited by Jim on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.