Lack of ball boys and girls ?

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Adam29
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Lack of ball boys and girls ?

Post by Adam29 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 am
Jameston1 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am
Surely if parents were asked to sign a form stating that they agree the club will take no responsibility should a ball land on their son/daughter/child in the cares face then that would be enough to take any liability away from the club?
I'm not sure that signing a form would make much difference legally as it wouldn't absolve the club of its liability based upon its duty of care. A bit like a disclaimer at ASDAs that says the company wont be responsible if one of their trolleys blows across the car park and hits your vehicle. This will not absolve the company of liability if the trolley has been left there by an ASDA employee or for example has been left standing for days without being collected. This is because you cannot contract out of a duty of care.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure most EFLs clubs still use "ball-boys". More Admin overhead than H&S I would guess.
Most EFL Clubs don’t have concrete walls going around the perimeter of the pitch, that is the issue

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member

Post by Suffolk Blue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am

That is very true Adam. There is really nowhere to hide between the touchlines and the walls.

A potentially bigger potential problem might also would be the responsibilities of a ball boy/girl chasing balls that left the ground also - a quite common occurrence at HS. Takes me back to the early 70s when as a ball boy myself I'd end up in Brady's Yard or (god forbid) the Hoop works trying to retrieve footballs. They didn't do risk assessments in those days.

Colin Appleton
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Colin Appleton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:00 am

Watched some of the Torquay v Aldershot match on BT Sport. They have a wall around the perimeter of the pitch yet had ball boys. Doesn't seem to be an issue with them.

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:48 am

Torquay don’t have an actual wall like we have, majority of there’s is just plastic with sponsor hoardings.

Colin Appleton

Post by Colin Appleton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:08 am

Such is the range of topics that are discussed on a football forum that what constitutes a wall or not is given a post, ha. I've been to Plainmoor on countless occasions and three sides of the ground are definitely what I would describe as a wall. The Bristow Bench stand side is the exception but Torquay seem to cope ok, they have ball boys/girls that are aged around 15/16 sat on the playing side of the wall/railings and it works well.

I think the point I'm trying to make in an earlier post is it's only when I watch Barrow's home games that the lack of ball boys/girls becomes an issue. Something needs to be done at Holker Street to get the ball back to the opposition players quicker when it goes out of play. This isn't a problem at other grounds but it is with us. I wasn't at Chesterfield yesterday but I bet it wasn't an issue there.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 pm

No wall at Chesterfield, but lots of ball boy/girls sat on chairs round the ground doing the necessary. If the wall is the issue at Barrow, could the ball boy/girls not sit behind the wall and then go through newly made access points to retrieve the ball. More work for maintenance team. :shock:
Last edited by Middleton Nick on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Middleton Nick wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 pm
No wall at Chesterfield, but lots of ball boy/girls sat on chairs round the ground doing the necessary. If the wall is the issue at Barrow, could the ball boy/girls not sit behind the wall and then go through newly made access points to retrieve the ball. More work for maintenance team. :shock:
To be honest Nick, we’d jump at doing something like that...it really can’t be that much of a problem. As I said earlier, the main issues seem to be H&S and someone to look after the ball boys/girls before, during and after the match with the correct checks.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Van Der Nipper
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Van Der Nipper » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Middleton Nick wrote:
So by the time the ball boy has gone through the access point the player has gone all of one yard to retrieve the ball :roll: there is absolutely no need for ball boys at Holker St
ISC in the community liason officer-since 7th April 2009

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Van Der Nipper wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 pm
Middleton Nick wrote:
So by the time the ball boy has gone through the access point the player has gone all of one yard to retrieve the ball :roll: there is absolutely no need for ball boys at Holker St
Beg to differ Stu :roll: ,but we are not having them anyway. so that's that.
Last edited by Middleton Nick on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jonty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:11 am

There has to be an appetite for it at the club but unfortunately last time around there was none. Its not so much about retrieving the ball that has gone out of play, its about passing out a new ball quickly to keep the flow of the game going. As for looking after the kids, the coach of the junior club doing the ball duties would stay involved with the help pre/post match. Can all be done.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Jonty wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:11 am
Its not so much about retrieving the ball that has gone out of play, its about passing out a new ball quickly to keep the flow of the game going.
Surely that could be the responsibility of one of the subs or the coach.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:26 pm

I agree when it’s by the dug outs, but I’m on about the other side of the ground, goalkeepers walking to corner flags to get the ball etc. You’re right though, it’s down to the club and the Manager to sort it out if they want to speed the flow of the game up. Anything that gives us an edge if we are on top, or indeed trying to back into a game.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

mickmike wilson
Platinum Member

Post by mickmike wilson » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Why not use something like those spongy mats that Gymnasts use, Or something similar & Fix to the wall with the desired thickness & the ball boys/girls sit on a chair directly in front, So if there's a collision the matt absorbs the impact, You'd only need a handful.

As long as it complies with the H & S laws & the ball boys/girls can do their thing.

You need to do everything possible to maximize your chances of winning & if it helps by 0.5% its worth it.

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boyliegladbach » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm

mickmike wilson wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 pm
Why not use something like those spongy mats that Gymnasts use, Or something similar & Fix to the wall with the desired thickness & the ball boys/girls sit on a chair directly in front, So if there's a collision the matt absorbs the impact, You'd only need a handful.

As long as it complies with the H & S laws & the ball boys/girls can do their thing.

You need to do everything possible to maximize your chances of winning & if it helps by 0.5% its worth it.
That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this forum.
Last edited by boyliegladbach on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Bang goes my Velcro costume or drone inside the football idea!😉
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1