A forum for previous match threads.
Moribund
Platinum Member

Re: Chesterfield FC (A) match thread

Post by Moribund » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:21 pm

barrowfan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:50 pm
Moribund wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:01 pm

What do you want him to say?
What he's actually going to do to sort it rather than just repeating the team's shortcomings, which we can see for ourselves.

To be fair not sure if he's ever been asked the question.
You want him to detail his training plans and tactical changes in the wake of a football match? Sounds plausible.

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran

Post by barrowfan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Well whatever training plans and tactical changes he’s made to date haven’t exactly been a roaring success have they?

McMark
BarrowAFC Veteran

Post by McMark » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 pm

Think Ian Evatt does very well in the main with his interviews. You have to remember he has to be guarded with some of his comments especially when emotions are running high so close to the finish of a game. Of course he is going to protect his players from public scrutiny in a live interview.
Team moral is everything as he strives to get the formula right. Wasn’t there yesterday but followed the game via radio and media. There have been signs we are getting there as a complete unit. Confidence has to be built on that’s all. Some people get carried away with pre season hype. :mrgreen:

barrowfan
BarrowAFC Veteran

Post by barrowfan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:02 pm

McMark wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 pm Think Ian Evatt does very well in the main with his interviews. You have to remember he has to be guarded with some of his comments especially when emotions are running high so close to the finish of a game. Of course he is going to protect his players from public scrutiny in a live interview.
Team moral is everything as he strives to get the formula right. Wasn’t there yesterday but followed the game via radio and media. There have been signs we are getting there as a complete unit. Confidence has to be built on that’s all. Some people get carried away with pre season hype. :mrgreen:
Fair comment.

I’m just as frustrated as anyone else that we haven’t been able to hang on leads and we seem to struggle to play consistently for 90 minutes but I suppose at our level that’s to be expected.

On the plus side we do at least seem to be getting in shots, which we weren’t doing a few weeks ago, so perhaps Evatt’s training methods are bringing some positive results.

It was frustrating to listen on Saturday to hear that we seemed to miss so many great chances. Even their manager said as much.

I just hope that we keep getting chances and we can turn them into goals and play decently for the best part of 90 minutes.

Let’s hope that happens tomorrow. :)

Hadrian
Platinum Member

Post by Hadrian » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:04 pm

The goals came - at least in part - from mistakes on our part and while they were avoidable they are exactly the sort of mistakes you are likely to find at our level. Not sure they would be easy to eradicate completely.

The defence yesterday was pretty strong with Taylor organising effectively as well as leading by example. I would judge him as our Man of the Match. (Took a few significant knocks; I hope he will have recovered to play tomorrow.) Hird also had a good game.

Overall it was a decent performance and deserved three points.
Last edited by Hadrian on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wintergreen
BarrowAFC Veteran

Post by Wintergreen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:36 am

An away draw is always a decent result in my opinion. Like Evett we should maybe try to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and don’t mess with Mr Inbetween.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Pedro
Gold Member

Post by Pedro » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:36 am An away draw is always a decent result in my opinion. Like Evett we should maybe try to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative and don’t mess with Mr Inbetween.
Yes but it should have been a away win.
When teams go ahead they seem more organised hence the thumping by Harrogate at home.
I still think we could get a decent centre half from a league below look at how Kenny Gordon improved
First time he just booted the ball out second time he came after playing for Morecambe he actually tried to play the ball out.
IE is working within the budget he has and he is good at speaking so maybe he could get someone to scout a player and he put the charm offensive on.