P Hornby's Friday BBB RC Interview

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
mickmike wilson
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

P Hornby's Friday BBB RC Interview

Post by mickmike wilson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Good interview by Adam with Paul who explained that Sponsorship is up 200K from 90K & He hope's to add another 50K when the on-line advertising kicks in, So that's really positive news commercially.

Still waiting for the FF-grants peeps to dot the i's & cross the t's before starting building the ** Facility ** probably in Sept/Oct through Kristian Wilkes involvement, Is this the New Bar that was talked about going to be kinda next to the Crossbar on that 5 a side area?

Chatted about crowds could be higher & would be a huge help if we can can keep our average up or hopefully increase it from 1375 last season's average & was hoping for a 1500 average this season & most of the previous debt has been tackled, Implied we are a coiled spring ready to explode once results turn our way & the crowds increase accordingly.

Team is better/stronger this term but acknowledges we're not seeing it results wise yet.
Last edited by mickmike wilson on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: P Hornby's Friday BBB RC Interview

Post by Holkerbird » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Great to hear the positives for a change. Everything isn't all doom and gloom. A lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes and all credit to them. It gives us the lift that keeps us plugging away.
Come on team, get the results that the football you are playing deserve.

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Let's hope today is the start....

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jonty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm

Listened to this. It is generally a positive message, but there is an underlying frustration in mentioning the debts inherited from the previous regime. Many, self included, thought we were staring afresh and debt free. As fans and part owners, we should know exactly what the debts are / were to clear. I would like to know how much is being spent now on things and prevent exactly the same situation happening again. Do you think this is only right to know?
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member

Post by JammyBluebird » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Jonty wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm
Listened to this. It is generally a positive message, but there is an underlying frustration in mentioning the debts inherited from the previous regime. Many, self included, thought we were staring afresh and debt free. As fans and part owners, we should know exactly what the debts are / were to clear. I would like to know how much is being spent now on things and prevent exactly the same situation happening again. Do you think this is only right to know?
Board Rep's report is included in prev copies of the Bluebirds Trust Monthly Meeting.

Might find what you're looking for there. Documents are uploaded to trust website.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks, I’ve had a look at the last AGM minutes and July’s meeting minutes. It doesn’t give figures but uses statements like, “in the region of”, “paying off inherited debt” (how much debt did we inherit??) We /Trust as part owners should know exact figures. We should also know how much we need to be contributing year on year to maintain a contribution similar to other owners. We should know the full breakdown, including works on the the ground, West Terrace etc. FF application for new facility? These are all topics of interest a part owner should know about, have a say in. That’s not meant to be negative, that’s just the Trust having transparency and visibility.

mickmike wilson
Platinum Member

Post by mickmike wilson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Jonty wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm
As far as I know, The inherited debts were a combination of Player Contracts, & Still paying off the (3 was it) ex-managers & the likes of Holts & others contracts, But sadly there were various companies still owed money & several others that came to light when the Cassons abruptly left.

My personal view is that I was very disappointed in the way they left & the way they left some of the debt to the new guys.......BUT.......If they wanted too they could have tried to claw back much more of the money they/he invested so we should be grateful for that at least.

As part owners like Jonty says, We should know more of the finer details of the running costs (when applicable) & there probably will be ways we can help out financially as we all unite to make us as sustainable as possible, Then we all win.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:47 pm

I just think we need some indication on the actual debts inherited.(figures) I’m sorry If that’s an awkward one to answer, but it should be known to all owners. (It’s my view anyway. And then we know where we stand in terms of allocations for budgets etc)

Hadrian
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Hadrian » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:56 pm

There's a limit to the amount of detail that an organisation can sensibly make. I might think we should know how much the club is paying for pies and draft beers or how much is being spent upon non-football staff, which sponsors are paying how much and receiving exactly what in return.

But perhaps there's a fine line between interest and the general situations and just being nosey?

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 pm

The Trust is a 10% owner and therefore has an interest in the financial affairs. Whilst some of the individual Trust share contributors individuals may not be interested, others may be.

mickmike wilson
Platinum Member

Post by mickmike wilson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:15 pm

It's a tricky one for the BOD (RE) Giving out information, It's one of them where they will be damned if they do & damned if they don't.

If they tell us the Profit margin on drinks & pies or whatever You'll get those who will slate the club for making a profit......Even though we all want them to be successful, You know what the forum/people can be like.

In general I agree with the club giving us as much info as possible as im a huge believer in them treating us like adults & seeing if there's any area's our fan base can assist them with etc, However All companies have trading secrets that you keep in house its logical & it might give them an advantage in whatever businesses they are in.

If they bared their souls & detailed the full costs of running a club in the national leagues it would give us all more insight into just how difficult it really is to be competitive & might bring in more offers of help, Volunteers wise, more sponsorship to meet these 'Costs of doing business" etc.

Or would it be counter productive to tell us these things like

Training facilities, costs involved or deals done, Cost of overnight stops, coaches/bus costs, Players Insurance, Pay-offs etc CAN OF WORMS..

blue nige
Gold Member

Re: P Hornby's Friday BBB RC InterviewHi Leah

Post by blue nige » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Totally agree Mike we don't need to know all the nuts and bolts all I know is our owners are decent people doing an absolutely thankless job without having to be scrutinised in minute detail and having to justify their expenditure etc.
Some people have too much time on their hands!

McMark
Platinum Member

Re: P Hornby's Friday BBB RC InterviewHi Leah

Post by McMark » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:31 am

blue nige wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 pm
Totally agree Mike we don't need to know all the nuts and bolts all I know is our owners are decent people doing an absolutely thankless job without having to be scrutinised in minute detail and having to justify their expenditure etc.
Some people have too much time on their hands!
Never mind the nuts and bolts, let’s get down to the brass tacks! Have you seen what they are going for these days. :o Screwfix declined to comment.
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 am

The Club is a company limited by shares and the Trust is a shareholder. In accordance with the Companies Acts the annual accounts of the company are prepared by the directors and presented to the shareholders at the Annual General Meeting for approval. At the AGM, the shareholders vote to approve or disapprove the accounts and on the election /re-election of directors and on any other resolutions proposed by the directors . As a minority (i.e. non - controlling) shareholder the Trust is not entitled to receive any further information, but what the board are doing , rightly and properly , is keeping shareholders informed generally from time to time on the company's progress and the issues affecting it. Minority shareholders are not entitled to and will not receive details on individual items such as players wages, money owed to certain creditors or the cost of pies ! Hope that helps.
Last edited by blumooncrab on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Ever since the Man With No Plan rode off into the sunset, I’ve had a feeling that the new owners will have to pull a sizeable rabbit out of the hat to future-proof the club.

The problem being that as the older supporters start to fade away, youngsters will struggle to find any incentive to visit our ancient mausoleum of a ground. Instead they will follow peer precedent to the local pub to watch their favourite team.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...