Guess who's back

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
sanddevil-temp
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 3
Location: Fulham. Or is it Hammersmith? West London any road.

Re: Guess who's back

Post by sanddevil-temp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Manchester Branch wrote:[swear filter] hell. By reading some of the comments on this thread you'd think he'd shot someone, chopped their head off and then shat down their neck at some point around April last year.

He was an average player playing in a poorly performing team, but arrived at about the time we started to turn it around. What if he hadn't got that early goal against Lewes? We could easily have gone on and lost that game, the way we were playing. Then what? I'm not naive enough to say he turned our season around but he put a shirt on and gave it a go. Hopefully he will do the same if he comes back and maybe does a bit better.
And he could also have cost us the game away at Weymouth when he got sent off - but thankfully we won anyway. But then we were a striker short for the key home game v Woking when he was suspended - and we lost that in the last minute. It's really all hypothetical but we stayed up and that's all that matters. I can't imagine there's anyone on here who doesn't want him to succeed, but:
1. It's well chronicled he's been a disruptive dressing room influence at his previous clubs;
2. He ain't cheap. Rumours in the non-league world last time around put his weekly wage with us at £1k;
3. He is predisposed to being a big beefy [swear filter] and as he hasn't been playing much - well let's just say I am not optimistic he'll be doing too much running around!

Any rate, his arrival hasn't been confirmed yet, but if it eventually is, I would imagine he's only bench-warming material whilst Blundell is out.

Me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/badzillacouk
Creator and developer of the extremely annoying Barrow AFC Twitter Bot https://twitter.com/BarrowAFCbot

Mark Johnson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mark Johnson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

WELCOME BACK McEvra!!

just been welcoming him back on his Official facebook fans page! lets rally around and show the big man some support..

Stu_Barrow_Afc
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Stu_Barrow_Afc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:48 pm

McEvilly was booked and then subbed with 10mins to go on Saturday....playing for Marine. Might as well sign Joe McMahon off them whilst we're there
Sticks and Stones may break my bones but Daz and Dave excite me

Optimism
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Optimism » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

With reports of his star waning, I'd class this move as a gamble.

We might collect on the bet, time will tell.

Mark Johnson
Silver Member

Post by Mark Johnson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Stu_Barrow_Afc wrote:McEvilly was booked and then subbed with 10mins to go on Saturday....
exactly what we're after.. a team player with passion

Manchester Branch
Silver Member

Post by Manchester Branch » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:13 pm

sanddevil-temp wrote:And he could also have cost us the game away at Weymouth when he got sent off - but thankfully we won anyway. But then we were a striker short for the key home game v Woking when he was suspended - and we lost that in the last minute. It's really all hypothetical but we stayed up and that's all that matters. I can't imagine there's anyone on here who doesn't want him to succeed, but:
1. It's well chronicled he's been a disruptive dressing room influence at his previous clubs;
2. He ain't cheap. Rumours in the non-league world last time around put his weekly wage with us at £1k;
3. He is predisposed to being a big beefy [swear filter] and as he hasn't been playing much - well let's just say I am not optimistic he'll be doing too much running around!

Any rate, his arrival hasn't been confirmed yet, but if it eventually is, I would imagine he's only bench-warming material whilst Blundell is out.
All valid points (if a little heavy on word like 'rumours', 'chronicled' and 'could have'...). I'm not saying we shouldn't have concerns, but some of the posts about him here are going over the top.

Also, at Weymouth - a game we were never, ever going to lose (depsite what I said earlier about the Lewes game!) - I thought McEvilly was daft at worst but he was harshly treated by the ref that day. He was putting himself about a bit and if the second 'yellow' hadn't been right in front of their bench/main stand he might have stayed on. But yeah, he was daft. I'm spending a lot of time defending him, it seems, but it's in aid of balance as I don't think there's been much of that so far.
Quomodo es? An bene? Quid scis?

GTBLUE
Platinum Member

Post by GTBLUE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Who are we going to bring back next.Cowps,Fred Else,Jimmy Mullholland Dave Storf.This could be embarrassing.

burnzio
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 1

Post by burnzio » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 pm

The fact he was playing for Rochdale not that long ago shows he has the ability. He's obviously just a bit of a nob. If D&D could sort him out he could be a quality player.

I can't see why we would sign him mind we've only just got Chadwick, Blundell won't be out for long and that young lad looked like he was worth a punt probably for [swear filter] all money.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:38 pm

If he is anywhere near fit, if he is anywhere near committed to owt apart from his fixed odds coupon then he could be inspired.

But I doubt it- if your reading this Lee, good luck and prove me wrong!

Oh, and what about the 3.30 at Haydock?

Stu_Barrow_Afc
Platinum Member

Post by Stu_Barrow_Afc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Has Luke Powell left?
Sticks and Stones may break my bones but Daz and Dave excite me

Ste Story
BarrowAFC.net Administrator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ste Story » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Stu_Barrow_Afc wrote:Has Luke Powell left?
I sincerely hope not. I thought he was one of shezzas college lot, so may be just around when needed and training with the squad? I may be wrong of course.

On the subject of McEvillys facebook page, gotta laugh at one guys pure and simple comment: "WHY DON'T YOU TRY"
BarrowAFC.net Site Admin - Contact Me
Spatiari ut Progrediaris

Van Der Nipper
Gold Member

Post by Van Der Nipper » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:03 pm

Ste Story wrote:
Stu_Barrow_Afc wrote:Has Luke Powell left?
I sincerely hope not. I thought he was one of shezzas college lot, so may be just around when needed and training with the squad? I may be wrong of course.

On the subject of McEvillys facebook page, gotta laugh at one guys pure and simple comment: "WHY DON'T YOU TRY"
I think you are wrong,i thought he was released by Everton and had lost his way and lost interest in football.
ISC in the community liason officer-since 7th April 2009

tictactoe
Platinum Member

Post by tictactoe » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 pm

I hope this is a wind-up. They are having a laugh if it is true, what happened to signings that showed the club mean business etc. This just shows us as a joke imo. He was a waste of oxygen last time and would bet that it will be the same this, just picking up any money that the club are stupid enough to throw at him. I would rather Luke Powell got given a chance, was impressed with his attitude and the committed performance he gave last time. As stated on another topic I am worried about our close season run in, and, if true, this makes it more worrying.

And relax .....
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

The Real Slim Azza
Platinum Member

Post by The Real Slim Azza » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

It's Neil Campbell
Taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
BIG BADGE MISTAKE POLOS
END OF POST

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 am

GTBLUE wrote:Who are we going to bring back next.Cowps,
Not a bad idea, Graham. At least we'd get some decent mild in the Crossbar (although the big lad would probably scoff it all ;) ).