BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow v Bromley Match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Shaun
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Barrow v Bromley Match thread

Post by Shaun » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 am

Middleton Nick wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:31 pm
After fearing relegation it looks like we will finish around mid table and after everything thats gone on I'll settle for that.
This bit.

"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

olbarrafancumbak
Bronze Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:40 am

I think the two breaks due to cup have not helped at all.. I think sometimes it can break the momentum.
I think IE will keep pushing to the very end and although a difficult ask, we still have a chance to make playoffs and until we are mathematicaly out of it, I will keep believing.. you can knock me for this but without belief there is no point in supporting the team!!

barrowfan
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by barrowfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 am

boyliegladbach wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:15 am
It was awful, we were shit.
I think Adam said exactly that on RC. :lol:

TaylorBAFC
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TaylorBAFC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 am

Why should we make wholesale changes? There has been too much of that in recent years. It'll be nice to have some consistency, especially since this is a young squad that is capable of improving. Keeping the majority of the squad and making slight improvements is the way forward for me.

We have done exceptionally well, in my eyes, as many tipped us for relegation and we have kept away from that battle this season. We only need another 9 points or so to confirm our status, which I'm confident we can do given the amount of games we have left.

Have to say the goal music was a surprise, I quite liked it. But of course, many won't.

I've really enjoyed this season, supporting the club home and away. Let's continue to do so. :scarf:
Last edited by TaylorBAFC on Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 am

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 am

Have to say the goal music was a surprise
Let's hope we hear it many more times this season! :D

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boyliegladbach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 am

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Why should we make wholesale changes? There has been too much of that in recent years. It'll be nice to have some consistency, especially since this is a young squad that is capable of improving. Keeping the majority of the squad and making slight improvements is the way forward for me.

We have done exceptionally well, in my eyes, as many tipped us for relegation and we have kept away from that battle this season. We only need another 9 points or so to confirm our status, which I'm confident we can do given the amount of games we have left.

Have to say the goal music was a surprise, I quite liked it. But of course, many won't.

I've really enjoyed this season, supporting the club home and away. Let's continue to do so. :scarf:
We need big changes, forgetting loans there is only one player evatt has signed that I would keep and that's Taylor. Blyth Rooney kay Wilson Turner jennings molynuex brown can all disappear at the end of the season for me.
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 am

I would certainly keep Blyth and Kay. The rest of those players are up for debate, personally.

Rooney is frustrating as whilst he does have occasional bits of quality, on the most part he can't hit the target and backs out of tackles.

Wilson and Turner are too injury prone, I agree with you on letting them go. Brown isn't great, simply put.

Molyneux could be useful for having an option. Whilst we haven't seen much of Jennings, so you can assume he will be leaving.

You forgot to include Elsdon and Hird, but we haven't seen enough of them yet - so I assume this was purposeful.

It's difficult to see many, if any, of the loan players coming in permanently. But it's important to keep the core of the squad, much more than 3 or 4 in which the poster I'm referring to said.

Keep: Dixon, Barthram, Jones, Granite, Molyneux, Taylor, Kay, Waterston, Hindle, Blyth

Then you can add the young trio - Stephens, Sloan, Dawson.

Hird and Elsdon are up for debate, for now. Although Iike what I see from Elsdon, especially.
Last edited by TaylorBAFC on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:50 am

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Why should we make wholesale changes?
There’s the loanees that will need to be replaced for a start; then there’s plenty of contracts expiring - some we’ll be wanting to keep, some that need to be waved off to the Evostik.

Who knows what’ll happen?

Personally I think we’ll start next season with 8-9 new players in the first team.

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 am

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:50 am
TaylorBAFC wrote:
Why should we make wholesale changes?
There’s the loanees that will need to be replaced for a start; then there’s plenty of contracts expiring - some we’ll be wanting to keep, some that need to be waved off to the Evostik.

Who knows what’ll happen?

Personally I think we’ll start next season with 8-9 new players in the first team.
I would be fine with welcoming new players, it's just important to keep the core of the squad. As stated, too many times we have completely rehauled the squad. It would be nice to see some progression on what we have. Totally agree that some players do need to go though - and to a much lower league haha

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 am

Much has been said about keeping the core of the squad, but what if the core of the squad is of poor quality?

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:08 am

Maybe not all of the ‘core’ will want to stay.

Anyway, it’s not something we can control so no point worrying about.

Onwards!

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 am

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:08 am
Maybe not all of the ‘core’ will want to stay.

Anyway, it’s not something we can control so no point worrying about.

Onwards!
Very true. Time will tell. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season knowing that we have little to worry about. Hopefully the players will continue to give good performances, as it is easy for mid-table sides to just switch off.

Few more wins and then we can breath easy, no doubt.
Last edited by TaylorBAFC on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Suffolk Blue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am

Well its all got a bit grey, gloomy and miserable on the forum all of a sudden to match the February weather! So much gloomier than on that warm and pleasant afternoon in April when an overpaid disinterested rump of a squad did its damndest to get itself relegated against a Chester side bankrupt and full of schoolboys. A squad which then included Dixon, Jones and Bartram who just about everybody agrees have now raised their games by at least one playing level this season.

Everybodys entitled to think what they want but sometimes a reality check is needed. Firstly stats can often tell a misleading story but by my reckoning we've lost one league game in the last twelve, playing Fylde twice, Salford, Wrexham and Solihull during which we've conceded I think 8 goals. We've lost the most capable midfield player we've seen in years thanks mainly to his a**ehole agency and also a very talented striker in Tyler Smith who's since started scoring for a team two divisions higher. Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.

The problem, as is obvious, is in the goals scored column. Our average is barely one per game. Were this average closer to 1.5 the fact is that we'd be a play-off contending team. Both Blyth and Hindle are very hard workers but they have not consistently demonstrated an ability to score goals. To be fair to Hindle he still may well finish the season with a double figure goal tally and that wouldn't be that bad in a team with lots of attacking flair. Jacob Blyth is an enigma. He has lots of the right attributes for a decent striker and he is not lazy. But he lacks mobility on the ground and in the air and has the demeanour of a guy who's body, even at a relatively young age has taken quite a bit of abuse.

So here we are in early February contemplating the seasons end already with such gloom. Anybody really think this is really better than last season when we all traipsed off to far fung places hoping that our uncannily good away form might save us? Who's up for not bothering to turn up in April?

If the complaints are about the core of the squad then they probably have some merit. One of Ian Evatts unforeseen qualities has been his ability to work with talented but raw U-23s from decent EFL sides who we couldn't afford to buy in a month of sundays but can utilise temporarily. All of them have improved. Many have added to their value and we are increasingly seen as a safe haven for youngsters in development which in turn leads to better quality players being recruited. Norrington-Davis is a shining example of this, a guy bemoaned in this thread when he doesn't play. As an aside JJ Hooper who scored the Bromley goal yesterday is a loanee from Grimsby via Port Vale who I think has scored 9 in his last 11 games. I doubt Bromley would be in such a comfortable (boring) mid table position without him. We are not unique.

So there is a noticeable quality gap between our retained squad and our loanees all of whom we lose at the end of the season anyway. This is a reality of our club now trying to operate within a less generous budget so rather than moan about it lets embrace it. Early safety therefore would constitute an opportunity to look at the core and where possible stengthen it and broaden it. And I cant think of anybody I'd rather entrust with this than Ian Evatt.

I'm a cup half empty guy and therefore probably fit the average profile of a BAFC supporter pretty well. But I'll say now that as far as I'm concerned we are looking at one of our best seasons in recent years, better certainly than those rather frenzied months under Cox when people were dreaming of play-offs and promotion, but when in reality these aspirations were built on vapour. This season we've gone through a change of ownership, change of management and a significant change in playing style with a reduced budget. Yet I dont detect any imminent threat or approaching cataclysm and the supporters courtesy of the Bluebirds Trust are bearing down on a 50k share in the club. And still here we are sat in the top half of the table as I write.

Perhaps we are a group of supporters that are so used to feeling the drama around us that we actually derive some wierd adrenolin rush from it and miss it when its not there.

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am
Everybodys entitled to think what they want but sometimes a reality check is needed. Firstly stats can often tell a misleading story but by my reckoning we've lost one league game in the last twelve, playing Fylde twice, Salford, Wrexham and Solihull during which we've conceded I think 8 goals. Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.
Love this reply. The defensive stats have been fantastic lately and whether you feel it's a fair reflection or not - we have kept numerous clean-sheets. In fact, we have kept 8 clean-sheets in our last 12 league fixtures. There's no need to get rid of players that have heavily contributed to this, at least in my eyes anyway!

Small pockets of the squad need to be improved, that's a given - this includes replacing the loanees that will return to their parent clubs at the end of the season. But, I think a number of these players have shown they have the quality to at least remain at the club next season, if they want to. If we go on to finish in the top-half, which looks possible, I think it would further highlight that mass change isn't all that neccessary and it would simply be a case of replacing outgoing loanees and filling in the gaps, with improvements in a few areas.
Last edited by TaylorBAFC on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dodger

Post by dodger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am
Well its all got a bit grey, gloomy and miserable on the forum all of a sudden to match the February weather! So much gloomier than on that warm and pleasant afternoon in April when an overpaid disinterested rump of a squad did its damndest to get itself relegated against a Chester side bankrupt and full of schoolboys. A squad which then included Dixon, Jones and Bartram who just about everybody agrees have now raised their games by at least one playing level this season.

Everybodys entitled to think what they want but sometimes a reality check is needed. Firstly stats can often tell a misleading story but by my reckoning we've lost one league game in the last twelve, playing Fylde twice, Salford, Wrexham and Solihull during which we've conceded I think 8 goals. We've lost the most capable midfield player we've seen in years thanks mainly to his a**ehole agency and also a very talented striker in Tyler Smith who's since started scoring for a team two divisions higher. Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.

The problem, as is obvious, is in the goals scored column. Our average is barely one per game. Were this average closer to 1.5 the fact is that we'd be a play-off contending team. Both Blyth and Hindle are very hard workers but they have not consistently demonstrated an ability to score goals. To be fair to Hindle he still may well finish the season with a double figure goal tally and that wouldn't be that bad in a team with lots of attacking flair. Jacob Blyth is an enigma. He has lots of the right attributes for a decent striker and he is not lazy. But he lacks mobility on the ground and in the air and has the demeanour of a guy who's body, even at a relatively young age has taken quite a bit of abuse.

So here we are in early February contemplating the seasons end already with such gloom. Anybody really think this is really better than last season when we all traipsed off to far fung places hoping that our uncannily good away form might save us? Who's up for not bothering to turn up in April?

If the complaints are about the core of the squad then they probably have some merit. One of Ian Evatts unforeseen qualities has been his ability to work with talented but raw U-23s from decent EFL sides who we couldn't afford to buy in a month of sundays but can utilise temporarily. All of them have improved. Many have added to their value and we are increasingly seen as a safe haven for youngsters in development which in turn leads to better quality players being recruited. Norrington-Davis is a shining example of this, a guy bemoaned in this thread when he doesn't play. As an aside JJ Hooper who scored the Bromley goal yesterday is a loanee from Grimsby via Port Vale who I think has scored 9 in his last 11 games. I doubt Bromley would be in such a comfortable (boring) mid table position without him. We are not unique.

So there is a noticeable quality gap between our retained squad and our loanees all of whom we lose at the end of the season anyway. This is a reality of our club now trying to operate within a less generous budget so rather than moan about it lets embrace it. Early safety therefore would constitute an opportunity to look at the core and where possible stengthen it and broaden it. And I cant think of anybody I'd rather entrust with this than Ian Evatt.

I'm a cup half empty guy and therefore probably fit the average profile of a BAFC supporter pretty well. But I'll say now that as far as I'm concerned we are looking at one of our best seasons in recent years, better certainly than those rather frenzied months under Cox when people were dreaming of play-offs and promotion, but when in reality these aspirations were built on vapour. This season we've gone through a change of ownership, change of management and a significant change in playing style with a reduced budget. Yet I dont detect any imminent threat or approaching cataclysm and the supporters courtesy of the Bluebirds Trust are bearing down on a 50k share in the club. And still here we are sat in the top half of the table as I write.

Perhaps we are a group of supporters that are so used to feeling the drama around us that we actually derive some wierd adrenolin rush from it and miss it when its not there.
Very good post!