BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow v Bromley Match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Pedro
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Barrow v Bromley Match thread

Post by Pedro » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:48 pm

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am
Everybodys entitled to think what they want but sometimes a reality check is needed. Firstly stats can often tell a misleading story but by my reckoning we've lost one league game in the last twelve, playing Fylde twice, Salford, Wrexham and Solihull during which we've conceded I think 8 goals. Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.
Love this reply. The defensive stats have been fantastic lately and whether you feel it's a fair reflection or not - we have kept numerous clean-sheets. In fact, we have kept 8 clean-sheets in our last 12 league fixtures. There's no need to get rid of players that have heavily contributed to this, at least in my eyes anyway!

Small pockets of the squad need to be improved, that's a given - this includes replacing the loanees that will return to their parent clubs at the end of the season. But, I think a number of these players have shown they have the quality to at least remain at the club next season, if they want to. If we go on to finish in the top-half, which looks possible, I think it would further highlight that mass change isn't all that neccessary and it would simply be a case of replacing outgoing loanees and filling in the gaps, with improvements in a few areas.
The main thing is we should stay up,something I did not think would happen.
The fact we need a finisher is obvious ,I was hoping Bennett would be loaned back.
We just need to get to the end of the season and stay in the league.
I have no doubt we will see a lot different team next season based on quality and the available budget.
Let's hope we can have a run in the FA cup which will give us a buffer

prague bluebird
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by prague bluebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Well its all got a bit grey, gloomy and miserable on the forum all of a sudden to match the February weather! So much gloomier than on that warm and pleasant afternoon in April when an overpaid disinterested rump of a squad did its damndest to get itself relegated against a Chester side bankrupt and full of schoolboys. A squad which then included Dixon, Jones and Bartram who just about everybody agrees have now raised their games by at least one playing level this season.

Everybodys entitled to think what they want but sometimes a reality check is needed. Firstly stats can often tell a misleading story but by my reckoning we've lost one league game in the last twelve, playing Fylde twice, Salford, Wrexham and Solihull during which we've conceded I think 8 goals. We've lost the most capable midfield player we've seen in years thanks mainly to his a**ehole agency and also a very talented striker in Tyler Smith who's since started scoring for a team two divisions higher. Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.

The problem, as is obvious, is in the goals scored column. Our average is barely one per game. Were this average closer to 1.5 the fact is that we'd be a play-off contending team. Both Blyth and Hindle are very hard workers but they have not consistently demonstrated an ability to score goals. To be fair to Hindle he still may well finish the season with a double figure goal tally and that wouldn't be that bad in a team with lots of attacking flair. Jacob Blyth is an enigma. He has lots of the right attributes for a decent striker and he is not lazy. But he lacks mobility on the ground and in the air and has the demeanour of a guy who's body, even at a relatively young age has taken quite a bit of abuse.

So here we are in early February contemplating the seasons end already with such gloom. Anybody really think this is really better than last season when we all traipsed off to far fung places hoping that our uncannily good away form might save us? Who's up for not bothering to turn up in April?

If the complaints are about the core of the squad then they probably have some merit. One of Ian Evatts unforeseen qualities has been his ability to work with talented but raw U-23s from decent EFL sides who we couldn't afford to buy in a month of sundays but can utilise temporarily. All of them have improved. Many have added to their value and we are increasingly seen as a safe haven for youngsters in development which in turn leads to better quality players being recruited. Norrington-Davis is a shining example of this, a guy bemoaned in this thread when he doesn't play. As an aside JJ Hooper who scored the Bromley goal yesterday is a loanee from Grimsby via Port Vale who I think has scored 9 in his last 11 games. I doubt Bromley would be in such a comfortable (boring) mid table position without him. We are not unique.

So there is a noticeable quality gap between our retained squad and our loanees all of whom we lose at the end of the season anyway. This is a reality of our club now trying to operate within a less generous budget so rather than moan about it lets embrace it. Early safety therefore would constitute an opportunity to look at the core and where possible stengthen it and broaden it. And I cant think of anybody I'd rather entrust with this than Ian Evatt.

I'm a cup half empty guy and therefore probably fit the average profile of a BAFC supporter pretty well. But I'll say now that as far as I'm concerned we are looking at one of our best seasons in recent years, better certainly than those rather frenzied months under Cox when people were dreaming of play-offs and promotion, but when in reality these aspirations were built on vapour. This season we've gone through a change of ownership, change of management and a significant change in playing style with a reduced budget. Yet I dont detect any imminent threat or approaching cataclysm and the supporters courtesy of the Bluebirds Trust are bearing down on a 50k share in the club. And still here we are sat in the top half of the table as I write.

Perhaps we are a group of supporters that are so used to feeling the drama around us that we actually derive some wierd adrenolin rush from it and miss it when its not there.

This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum in a very long time.
Last edited by prague bluebird on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prague Bluebird

BoltonBlue
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BoltonBlue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

We have lost just once since the Eastleigh game in November last year despite playing some of the big spending sides named above. The fact is we have become a hard team to beat these days under IE. Can only be a positive.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lancaster Branch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Those who want to dismantle the defensive part of the squad and get a new one must therefore have some great replacements in mind.
I don’t think anyone wants to dismantle the defence - but two of them aren’t ours and the rest are out of contract at the end of the season, bar Elsdon, notwithstanding any ‘options’ we may have on them.

There will be changes.
Last edited by Lancaster Branch on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitthebar22
Veteran Member

Post by Hitthebar22 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Good stuff from Suffolk Blue.
Some posts before that were contemplating who to keep and who to release.
In my opinion the most important person to keep is Ian Evatt, by far. He got (on paper) an average squad playing excellent football, then things changed and he got them playing a different style but effectively. Perhaps we don’t have the quality individually,and that’s our problem on occasions, but as I see it, largely he’s got an average group playing well and if it stays as it is we’ve done better than most expected last August. Most of the squad he inherited and weren’t his choices.
The loanees he’s brought in have done well in the main, and been well treated. Hopefully Barrow will be an attractive place for ½ decent players to come next season and improve their abilities, particularly under Evatt. How he dealt with Augustin’s agents, and the lad from Birmingham who couldn’t get out of bed, were examples of a strong character with proper values.
He won’t be Barrow manager for ever, but if he isn’t offered a more prestigious job and he gets in players of his choice in the close season, I’m full of optimism.
I know this is a bit soon and there’s still a long way to go, but we need to keep this guy as long as possible.

geobarrovian

Post by geobarrovian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm

It's too early to be talking about next season it is only February, a lot can happen between now and the end of this season.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:07 am

geobarrovian wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm
It's too early to be talking about next season it is only February, a lot can happen between now and the end of this season.
I was about to post similar. We should not be discussing retained list in February.

mr_grey

Post by mr_grey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 am

Jim wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:07 am
geobarrovian wrote:
I was about to post similar. We should not be discussing retained list in February.
Still 1/3 of season to go.40 points still to play for...looks like people have said that's it?..get behind the lads and see where we end up?

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by HenneysKnee » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 am

How long is Evatt contracted for?

saltcellar
Gold Member

Post by saltcellar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 am

Colin Appleton

Post by Colin Appleton » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 am

Have the club officially said what injury
Josh Granite has ? How long is he expected to be out? Presuming Erico Sousa who we had on loan from Accrington went back to his parent club before Xmas, can't see anywhere where that was mentioned.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam29
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Adam29 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm

It is unknown how long Josh will be out for, it is an ankle ligament injury and he is currently in a protective boot, injury can’t be further assesed until the boot comes off

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member

Post by Suffolk Blue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Jim wrote:
geobarrovian wrote:
Other than perhaps a couple of posts above, I dont think we are seriously discussing the retained list and I agree there's plenty left in the season to go well or not so well. This is BAFC after all and perhaps our motto (in Latin if there are any Latin scholars out there) should read something like "Never take anything for granted".

What we perhaps can and should be doing (and hopefully are beginning to do) is to construct a strategy for next season that we dont then have to put in a brown paper envelope headed "Only to be opened on 1st May in the event of survival". Planning is something we all do but at a club like ours tends to be something of a luxury. If we achieve nothing else this season than the ability to think ahead and plan for the future then we will have achieved something meaningful. Strangely this was always something the Cassons used to bang on about but for one reason or another never really achieved.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 pm
Jim wrote:

Other than perhaps a couple of posts above, I dont think we are seriously discussing the retained list and I agree there's plenty left in the season to go well or not so well. This is BAFC after all and perhaps our motto (in Latin if there are any Latin scholars out there) should read something like "Never take anything for granted".

What we perhaps can and should be doing (and hopefully are beginning to do) is to construct a strategy for next season that we dont then have to put in a brown paper envelope headed "Only to be opened on 1st May in the event of survival". Planning is something we all do but at a club like ours tends to be something of a luxury. If we achieve nothing else this season than the ability to think ahead and plan for the future then we will have achieved something meaningful. Strangely this was always something the Cassons used to bang on about but for one reason or another never really achieved.
Well written I think people will be glad to survive in this league but it's important that we plan for next season.
We have had a lot objectives without planning and realism

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

After watching the Bromley highlights video, and seeing a bit of Dior Angus for the first time it looks to me as though he could be a very decent player and his record of scoring 14 goals at a team as bad as Nuneaton would also suggest the same. Unfortunately, I can't see much else on the attacking front to inspire much confidence and it looks as though goals are going to be hard to come by. I've only seem Blyth live once - at Havant - other than in highlights videos but I'm failing to see anything that he brings to the team.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.