BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow v Ebbsfleet

A forum for previous match threads.
spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Barrow v Ebbsfleet

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Entertaining game spoilt by three officials totally out of their depth making the big decisions.
Ridiculous how they are deemed fit to officiate at this level.

We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Dan_Buck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dan_Buck » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:29 pm

The man in the middle is a premier league linesman I'm sure

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 pm

I didn't see a referee today
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:47 pm

What an odd bunch of away fans, definateley some of thier hard drives need checking.
A pointless drum played randomly, a weird trumpet at some point in second half and sure one had a loud hailer.
Strange large man in a red hat was an odd chap.
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm
Entertaining game
Sorry Spirit but the second half in particular was anything but entertaining - it was dire.

Yes the officials spoilt it to some extent, but they didn't play any part in the fact that nobody will take a shot at goal - they are too busy pussyfooting around with what they do in the approach play.

On the very view times the goalie was tested he was found to be wanting.

We just need someone to have a go but Evatt persists with his 'pretty' football in and around the box! Most frustrating! :sentoff:
Last edited by barrowfan on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by spirit of 1990 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 pm

barrowfan wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm
spirit of 1990 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm
Entertaining game
Sorry Spirit but the second half in particular was anything but entertaining - it was dire.

Yes the officials spoilt it to some extent, but they didn't play any part in the fact that nobody will take a shot at goal - they are too busy pussyfooting around with what they do in the approach play.

On the very view times the goalie was tested he was found to be wanting.

We just need someone to have a go but Evatt persists with his 'pretty' football in and around the box! Most frustrating! :sentoff:
I can see what you mean, it is frustrating at times but when you hear off some supporters “have a [SwearFilter] shot” when clearly there is no shot on as there’s half a dozen opposition players in front of them.....

Anyway, overall I thought it was an enjoyable game as did the lads stood around me. It’s all about opinions but I thought the effort was there but we were let down spectacularly by the three officials.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member

Post by JammyBluebird » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 pm

HenneysKnee wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm
Was there any mention of a budgeted attendance figure last year? 1000(ish) home fans again
1,200 averaged accross which is about where we are

Soulboy
Veteran Member

Post by Soulboy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 pm

Ebbsfleet set up to defend and control the referee. They did so. We had no wide threat as Kay and Angus were stifled.
Hindle is not centre forward and best from the bench. We didn’t have the refs support and this resulted in frustration and changes.
The penalty should have been awarded and the video will prove such . I agree with previous posts about too many passes and not shooting . We make the ground but back off....get the ball in or shoot it may pay off.
Our manager is doing his best without doubt and he is our future. Not his fault we lack a real striker but next season he will have two .

tictactoe
Platinum Member

Post by tictactoe » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 am

No disrespect but their goalie didn’t look the most athletic and I think many times yesterday we would have been better testing him having a shot rather than trying to play the ball into the net. I much prefer the passing football but there is a time to do it and time not to I think we just need to mix it up a bit. That said our striker options are seriously lacking
everyone is entitled to their opinion, deal with it

Moribund
Silver Member

Post by Moribund » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 am

Soulboy wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 pm
Our manager is doing his best without doubt and he is our future. Not his fault we lack a real striker but next season he will have two .
What does this mean?

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am

For those who haven’t heard it
Ian Evatt’s interview is here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06zghtk
50.55 in

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:02 am

Did not make it yesterday but reading the reports back it feels like another game of passing the ball around without really testing the keeper. Yes we are looking solid at the back, but at the other end we continue to lack the finishing touch in front of goal. We have scored 2 goals in the last 6 games and only Halifax have scored less than us (1)

Our lack of goals is why we sit in 12th and not in the top 7. Sort this out and next season we are a top 7 side.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am

Yes we need a striker
But the strikers also need service
It’s worth remembering that the winning goal v Salford was as a result of a quick short corner and Josh Kay crossing early into the box before Salford were ready for it. We play good football but the mistake we make time and again is to create an opening and then back off - which allows defenders time to get behind the ball and regroup.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Tend to agree with Spirit about needing to have appropriate opportunities in order to take a shot and keeping possession when such opportunities aren't there to try to create something more positive. As he says, different people have different opinions. A particularly unhappy type after the Bromley game - which I thought was quite absorbing with some good football from both sides - shouted when the final whistle went "**** result, **** players, **** game". Perhaps his day was complete when he didn't win the Lottery that night...

Some of the same people near me who decried "hoof ball" now decry patiently building opportunities. No point delivering the ball to opponents unnecessarily - they can't score without it!

Let's try to be positive from the terraces - unnecessary negativity comes across to the players in a small crowd and won't help their performance.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Hadrian wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:46 pm
Tend to agree with Spirit about needing to have appropriate opportunities in order to take a shot and keeping possession when such opportunities aren't there to try to create something more positive. As he says, different people have different opinions. A particularly unhappy type after the Bromley game - which I thought was quite absorbing with some good football from both sides - shouted when the final whistle went "**** result, **** players, **** game". Perhaps his day was complete when he didn't win the Lottery that night...

Some of the same people near me who decried "hoof ball" now decry patiently building opportunities. No point delivering the ball to opponents unnecessarily - they can't score without it!

Let's try to be positive from the terraces - unnecessary negativity comes across to the players in a small crowd and won't help their performance.
There are opportunities but they are not taken and we take an extra touch or a lay off. Its frustrating as our all round game is good.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc