BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow v Leyton Orient

A forum for previous match threads.
Tomo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Barrow v Leyton Orient

Post by Tomo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:51 am

Who could blame evatt for leaving the crowds are pathetic this season

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:11 am

Not sure how financially stable Rochdale are but if they can show him they are willing to give him a decent team budget I think he will be off.
Vic Halom did that after building a successful Barrow team and ending up getting the bullet

barrowfan
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by barrowfan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:55 am

Always a problem with a manager who is not used to the football league. He either makes it and shoots up the divisions, or he doesn’t make it and ends up on the street.

Whatever Evatt does I wish him the best – obviously want him to stay with Barrow – but wouldn’t blame him if he took a better offer with a decent budget for players.

Post by 01524 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:40 pm

barrowfan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:55 am
Always a problem with a manager who is not used to the football league. He either makes it and shoots up the divisions, or he doesn’t make it and ends up on the street.
Good point, barrowfan.

John Coleman has done ok by taking Accrington Stanley from the Northern Premier League 1st Division North to Football League One.

Am I right in saying Coley played a handful of games for Barrow, or did I dream that?
Last edited by 01524 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 4

Post by HenneysKnee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Tomo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:51 am
Who could blame evatt for leaving the crowds are pathetic this season
Where are all those people who didn’t want to watch a successful side under Cox because of the style of football? Even just turning the regular 900 home fans into 1200 would make such a huge difference financially to us, lot of work to be done to get people attending Holker Street sadly

Bigfathoss
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bigfathoss » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:56 pm

ant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 am
Bigfathoss wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:15 pm
I didn't feel a moment's guilt as I left at half-time. Some of that play was woeful.
Enjoy your arm chair watching good old sky football mate. cant go wrong eh? ;) Call again when we reach 3rd round of FA cup..
Yeah, coz that's what I do. Sitting on my season ticket (which has zero chance of getting renewed next year).
A=A
Your life, is YOUR life. Live it.

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Bigfathoss wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:56 pm
ant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 am

Enjoy your arm chair watching good old sky football mate. cant go wrong eh? ;) Call again when we reach 3rd round of FA cup..
Yeah, coz that's what I do. Sitting on my season ticket (which has zero chance of getting renewed next year).
Now things like this concern me. Why Hoss and what could be done to try and change your mind?
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm

Intriguing game last night. I enjoyed it, despite the result.

Orient as good a side as any so far this season but certainly not a stand-out best. Reminded me of Lincoln in their promotion season - organised, some very good individual players but a touch of cynicism/nastiness that made me think that I'd quite like to see them back here next year rather than gain success from that attitude. Credit to their fans who turned up in such numbers on a Tuesday evening.

Now bear in mind that we were basically fielding a side missing its normal defence and most influential player and that has trouble putting away chances up front yet we looked every bit as good a footballing side as the opposition for most of the game. We were outrun through midfield for two of the goals (and almost a third) yet spent much of the second half with Orient back-pedalling in the face of our patient attacks.

The managerial team has developed a side that is really comfortable on the ball, even when receiving it under close pressure, and has the confidence to try to play a pass rather than just part with it. Those who shout "get it upfield" from the popular side surely saw the results when that didn't happen - typically, three extremely confident and extremely large defenders being completely untroubled by the threat our forwards presented or the ball just going astray before it got that far.

There were weaknesses in the team last night, inevitable with so many places filled by second-choice options, but everyone seemed to be giving their all once again in a way we have not consistently seen at Holker Street. Castigating your favourite whipping-boy on here is fruitless. It does not help the team or the individuals; it is just unnecessary abuse. I thought there was a general recognition of the efforts that were made, successful or not; perhaps others kept their counsel and just left at half-time.

The attendance from home fans last night was again very disappointing, reminding me of the Wrexham game. A decade or two ago we might have got 1500 for a "big game" fixture like this without the benefit of a big away following and that would have been around the average figure for a top six side in the attendance table. This season 1500 would match the average attendance of a mid-attendance table side. Last night's home attendance of barely a thousand would match a bottom four average attendance figure. I do not subscribe to the "attendance conspiracy" postulated above; gaps on the Pop Side terrace made me fear we would barely reach 900.

Those figures are a worry because they tell us how much income we are short of on a match day compared to so many other teams. They are also after decent efforts to boost attendance figures - improved use of social media, online ticket purchase, significant discounts - the sort of things that were proposed on here as easy ways to redevelop followers on the terraces. Even a £2/pint offer between six and seven didn't seem to bring in the punters. Once hospitality guests had gone for their meal around 6:30 there were not many in the Crossbar. The pie in there was good (although my in-house baking expert thinks they need work on their soggy bottoms; she's been watching too much Bake Off...) but while I was around there weren't many takers this time. I hope the effort that went into the pie and bottle bar is paying off.

Credit to the new owners and to all those supporters who have supported them in so many ways - the trust, NSC, GMV and their supporters, Herby's Hitch and so many individuals. Lots of people are up for the fight; let's hope the naysayers are among them (nothing wrong with constructive criticism) and not just undermining the efforts of others. It is a tough ask but the owners seem up for it and I hope that efforts to rejuvenate non-match day income streams will be successful for them.

As for Ian Evatt, ultimately he will leave us for something bigger and better but he gives the impression of someone who has bought in to the job at Barrow. He was careful with his words in the interview last night but did say he would "be here until tells me otherwise". Of course that someone may be from outside Furness, Mrs Evatt perhaps? Like most others I'd love him to stay for next season.

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Great post Hadrian
Why people don’t come out is beyond me and really frustrating . Anyway keep the faith and spread the news that this is a good team , great manager and a hardcore of loyal support, worthy of support

Bingo
Platinum Member

Post by Bingo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 pm

blumooncrab wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 pm
Great post Hadrian
Why people don’t come out is beyond me and really frustrating . Anyway keep the faith and spread the news that this is a good team , great manager and a hardcore of loyal support, worthy of support
Crap facilities / other things to do / work /, changing priorities / changing demographics / poor public transport loads of reasons why people don't go. I've not been to a home game for a while mainly due to the trains work and also that I no longer have family in Barrow

As for the manager leaving. Why would Rochdale appoint a manager who hasn't yet achieved anything as a manager. I just don't see it.

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Crap facilities / other things to do / work /, changing priorities / changing demographics / poor public transport loads of reasons why people don't go. I've not been to a home game for a while mainly due to the trains work and also that I no longer have family in Barrow

As for the manager leaving. Why would Rochdale appoint a manager who hasn't yet achieved anything as a manager. I just don't see it.
[/quote]

Facilities are crap but apart from that the reasons you give would apply to most towns I get sick of people who ask me after every game what was it like as a club the corporate days are where we should be focusing I'd go to BAE and offer packages where groups who had done well at work would be rewarded I'm sure they'd buy into this it's a win win then get them to sponsor the shirts I'm going to pit "cliff " on the spot with the last suggestion!
We could also look at family groups etc we have just got to keep plugging away!
Last edited by blue nige on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jonty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:15 pm

blumooncrab wrote:
Great post Hadrian
It’s all to do with the modern football landscape. What was a 1500 crowd for this match 10 years ago, is now barely a 1000 crowd. It’s just fact. The next Commercial Manager has to get onto this quickly and tap into the modern fan values to get their attention onto Barrow. If they think reducing ticket prices, or other such strategies will make a change then they are looking into the wrong areas. These don’t work lng term. Cultural / behavioural aspects are where the focus needs to be. What makes the 16-24 year old football fan tick.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

saltcellar
Gold Member

Post by saltcellar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 am

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:03 am

saltcellar wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 am
https://youtu.be/awPJdWFKt_M

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS
Had forgotten just how bad our defending was for their goals/how bad our finishing and final ball was in the first half

ant
Gold Member

Post by ant » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 am

Bingo wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:46 pm
blumooncrab wrote:
Great post Hadrian

hmm.. since coming out of work, missed last two games before orient game. never really been in that position for a long time. but, found myself having to pick which home game to watch. Chose Orient game cos i love night match under floodlights. But prob miss sat game against Aldershot. ( new to me this selecting which games stuff. ) But fully appreciate it now i`m not working. £30 is about half of weekly income... so unless i live on beans and spuds ( nowt wrong with that by the way..:) ) have to be careful. not been in this position really since following the lad`s since 1964...so hurts a l ot yes. anyway, always prepared when possible to give up a meal to watch the lads.
Seasons to be cheerful.Part 10 n 3 /4 :skill: