BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Barrow v Harrogate Town

A forum for previous match threads.
Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Barrow v Harrogate Town

Post by Jonty » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Great buzz around the ground today. Whilst we are building a fanbase we need to come up with more of these under 16’s free games. It will repay itself when these fans get an attachment to the club and come back. These are the fans of the future and we need them in.

Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

BoltonBlue
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BoltonBlue » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 pm

whitty1969 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm
BoltonBlue wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:39 pm
Very enjoyable day out today, dragged a couple along from Bolton who were shocked with the standard of football on display. Looking around HS the U16’s promotion seemed to work... for the sake of additional atmosphere & buzz around the ground & for more fans for these hard working group of players to play in front of the club really needs to continue this promotion ongoing until the end of the season now!.
Shocked because the standard was better than they thought?
Much better apparently Whitty. They have been watching Championship football all season

behind the goals
Posts in topic: 1

Post by behind the goals » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 pm

GTBLUE wrote:
The only time Harrygoat attacked was when lost the ball.
Joel never had a save to make. Apart from the first 15 mins or so we were excellent all game. I love watching this team. Yes, mistakes are made, they are not done on purpose. I look forward to match days now. And it's all down to Ian Evatt. Thank god we managed to get him, even though most had not heard of him. And tonight we learn that he is about to sign a long term contract. That's the best news we all could have heard.( Cheers Stu ) I was fearing the worst and he would go. Great stuff the new owners. We can look forward with hope with I.E still here.
Agree Graham with Evatt staying longer and the new board the future is looking a lot better, just hope we can get decent crowds for the last 3 home games and go into pre-season looking forward to next season with some new signings.

whitty1969
Gold Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by whitty1969 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 am

BoltonBlue wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:13 pm
whitty1969 wrote:

Shocked because the standard was better than they thought?
Much better apparently Whitty. They have been watching Championship football all season
Thought that's what you meant. Glad they enjoyed it. They did witness a decent game.
If you had brought them up 2 weeks ago against Aldershot they might have thought different
However we won a game when playing poor and 3pts is 3pts.....we saw enough poor games last season...
Evatt has assembled a decent footballing side. We have a gem and need to keep hold of him along with most of this team
With some of the off field things planned the future is looking brighter...

Sonofsam

Post by Sonofsam » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:31 am

Was talking to a few old work mates who got together in the corporate they couldnt believe how good the team played and how professional the set up was hope they all come back and back this new ownership because in my view these guys are football people who know how to run a club top class manager with top class players

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 am

First goal was a great move and finish.
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/mat ... /1-3614195
Bullet proof vest not life vest.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 pm

Through gritted teeth I suppose I would have to say that for the neutral that was a top class piece of entertainment. But it was frustrating as our first-half display was so good that 4-0 up at half-time would not have flattered us.

For large swathes of this season I have thought that the football, at times, has been the most pleasing-on-the-eye since as long ago as 1968-69 when our rise and rise came to an end and just before the great decline kicked in. All we need is another Kenny Lowe in the middle of the park and a (fitter) Cowps up front and we would easily be the best in this league. Obviously there are still weaknesses to be addressed, as the two soft goals conceded yesterday clearly show. But the positives far outweigh the minuses and if we can keep Evatt then next season can't come too soon. I can hardly believe the football that this bloke has had the team playing, given that he only arrived late July and had next to no time to prepare for the season. I was saying at half-time yesterday that I agreed with the consensus about Taylor being Player of the Season . . . and then he goes and does that. Apologies for the curse. I wasn't aware I could cast them.

Also agree with the comment about Norrington-Davies . . . what a player! Great pity he's not ours.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Has there been a Barrow side last 25 years who move the ball around the way this team does? A quality finisher short of a top 5 side.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

Arvo
Silver Member

Post by Arvo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 am

Their first goal was a bit unfortunate from our point of view. Still, I remember Neil Doherty scoring one like that, that was even more ludicrous, at Fisher Athletic in the early 90s. The goalkeeper was the much-loved (irony) Paul Bastock. So I guess 28 years or so for that bit of good fortune to even out ain't too bad.
Last edited by Arvo on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Suffolk Blue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Surely the word "Bastock" should invoke some form of swear filter?

saltcellar
Gold Member

Post by saltcellar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:49 pm

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

geobarrovian

Post by geobarrovian » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm

The only thing more disturbing than the way we conceded those two goals was how high up the Harrogate captain's shorts were.

Suffolk Blue
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Suffolk Blue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Thought Dixon was primarily at fault for both goals. Whenever he comes out of his box he does seem to have an issue both with timing and decision making. Hoofing the ball straight toward two oncoming players - not a very low risk option even in hindsight. Could argue that Taylor could've cleared but he was facing he goal and Dixon came willingly for it and in fact got to ball first. Goalkeepers responsibility. Dixon has managed to largely eliminate this flaw in his judgement this season - by choosing not to come out of his area. In this case circumstances dictated that he probably had to come for the ball. Much improved season for him but still plenty to work on.

russell_anderson
Silver Member
Posts in topic: 3

Post by russell_anderson » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm

After watching the highlights, i completely agree. Definite indicision by Taylor for the first goal but Dixon should have hit the ball away from the players coming towards him. Second goal was a combination of bad marking and Dixon failing to get to the corner. A great shame as Dixon has been playing well and some of the football was terrific. This team are playing proper football far and above the level of most teams in the National League and even better when you consider the number of first choice players currently injured. I wouldn't be too harsh in any criticism of Taylor who has been excellent all season and is playing out of position and has generally done a good job until last week.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:51 pm

I think JD has to hold his hands up to that first goal, can’t blame JT really. Keeper is facing what’s happening (Taylor wasn’t) so he should be aware of what could happen....should’ve been booted into the pop side.

First half was probably one of the best 45 minutes of football I’ve seen at HS for a long time, that goal by LH just topped it off.

I hope IE gets to keep who he wants & then a couple of additions (a decent striker...) and we can go into next season looking pretty good.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.