BarrowAFC.net would like to thank Ormsgill Off-Licence And Convenience Store (Middlefield) for their kind support for the past 3 years in enabling you all to use this forum.

Maidenhead v Barrow

A forum for previous match threads.
Colin Appleton
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Maidenhead v Barrow

Post by Colin Appleton » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm

I've noticed in Manager and Board interviews there's often a reference about uncovering debts. I thought the previous regime had left the club "debt free" I thought that had been what had been implied when the new board took over but from listening to recent interviews that appears not to have been the case.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyBlue
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BillyBlue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Colin Appleton wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm
I've noticed in Manager and Board interviews there's often a reference about uncovering debts. I thought the previous regime had left the club "debt free" I thought that had been what had been implied when the new board took over but from listening to recent interviews that appears not to have been the case.
Debt free is anything between 100K & 200K depending on who you believe.The Cassons have a lot to answer for!!
Billy Blue

Big E
Veteran Member

Post by Big E » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 pm

boyliegladbach wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:08 pm
The Buzzard wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:07 pm
Why oh why does the manager persist with 3 at the back & 2 wing backs 😩 yes there have been occasions where this system has been successful against certain teams but overall it’s cost us valuable points,IMO we have looked more solid at the back, created more chances & had more success playing 4-3-3 🤔

Incorrect
But also as I said last week after the Dover debacle, we are just not a good team.
We might not be a good team, but we are far from a poor team. Considering all things, we've done ok the season. I've said it numerous times, consistency at this level is what wins you titles. Any team is capable of beating another 'on their day' .. the sides who win or go up just do it more often. Evatt is on a learning curve as a manager, and coupled with whats gone on with is as a club over the last 18 months, I think we are in a good position.. Let's judge next year..

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Did anyone at the start of the season expect us to potentially finish in 11th place with everything that has gone on at the club this year? I know I didn't. Have we had a settled side? No. Injuries and loanees coming and going make for many changes.
We have been very lucky with the loanees we have had (apart from one who was soon despatched back to where he came from) but they can be recalled back to their parent clubs which leads to uncertainty.
Most of our players have stepped up leagues and have given their all. Over the season they have played entertaining football and appeared to be fitter by a country mile than last seasons lot. Frustrating in the goal scoring department but there have been some edge of the seat moments.
A refreshing change not to be watching stressed out wondering if we are going to be relegated.
We are a work.in progress.

Jo am back
Bronze Member
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jo am back » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 am

Holkerbird wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:31 pm
Did anyone at the start of the season expect us to potentially finish in 11th place with everything that has gone on at the club this year? I know I didn't. Have we had a settled side? No. Injuries and loanees coming and going make for many changes.
We have been very lucky with the loanees we have had (apart from one who was soon despatched back to where he came from) but they can be recalled back to their parent clubs which leads to uncertainty.
Most of our players have stepped up leagues and have given their all. Over the season they have played entertaining football and appeared to be fitter by a country mile than last seasons lot. Frustrating in the goal scoring department but there have been some edge of the seat moments.
A refreshing change not to be watching stressed out wondering if we are going to be relegated.
We are a work.in progress.
Think you have redeemed yourself there Elaine after the kit supplier debate,your absolutely bang on.
Last edited by Jo am back on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 am

BillyBlue wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm
Colin Appleton wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm
Debt free is anything between 100K & 200K depending on who you believe.The Cassons have a lot to answer for!!
Think we have to put it in the past and look to survive financially snd organise a team for next season.

I complained alot about Casson for the promises he was naive and it soon became. clear he did not have the money to deliver what he promised .
We are not in the same position as when Vaughan left.
Its abundantly clear next season will be critical let's hope we have a decent run in the FA cup which could provide income to fund us for a couple of years of we draw a big team

Jim
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Jim » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:22 am

BillyBlue wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm
The Cassons have a lot to answer for!!
I noticed IE mentioned the new owners having a lot more to cope with than they expected.

However, the Cassons did get one thing right though - appointing IE. ;)
Last edited by Jim on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Appleton
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Colin Appleton » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 pm

I seem to recall the Cassons buying the club for what Holker Street was valued at the time. I think the sum of 630 thousand was mentioned. The new owners which of course also includes the Trust, paid, I think I'm right in suggesting, 500k so maybe this came with some debt. As in the Cassons wanted their full purchase price back If that was the case it's clearly not been made clear to the new board because I get the impression from hearing interviews with Ian Evatt and the Board the club have uncovered a number of debts over the last few months they were unaware of when they took over.
Last edited by Colin Appleton on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bingo
Platinum Member

Post by Bingo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Colin Appleton wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 pm
I seem to recall the Cassons buying the club for what Holker Street was valued at the time. I think the sum of 630 thousand was mentioned. The new owners which of course also includes the Trust, paid, I think I'm right in suggesting, 500k so maybe this came with some debt. As in the Cassons wanted their full purchase price back If that was the case it's clearly not been made clear to the new board because I get the impression from hearing interviews with Ian Evatt and the Board the club have uncovered a number of debts over the last few months they were unaware of when they took over.
As far as I understand the 500k was not handed to the Cassons it was to be used to complete this season, the new owners seem to be trying to put things in place to make the club more sustainable

Jonty
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Jonty » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Maybe in the close season, the full extent of the financial situation will be known. I suspect we had / have a number of bills to settle.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Why oh why are we still banging on about debt the owners have said it's manageable albeit carrying over to next season.
It seems people on here seem to love to keep looking for negativity FOR GOD'S SAKE MOVE ON ! :roll:

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:44 pm

blue nige wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Why oh why are we still banging on about debt the owners have said it's manageable albeit carrying over to next season.
It seems people on here seem to love to keep looking for negativity FOR GOD'S SAKE MOVE ON ! :roll:
Because we thought we were debt free and we’re not. It will affect the budget for next season

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:56 pm

HenneysKnee wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:44 pm
blue nige wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Because we thought we were debt free and we’re not. It will affect the budget for next season
And you know that because......................?

barrowfan
Platinum Member
Posts in topic: 10

Post by barrowfan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:05 pm

My understanding is that the Cassons put in around £3M and haven’t put that debt onto the club.

Any debts they have left must tail into insignificance if that figure is true, but hey why be positive when you can moan and groan all the time?

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Exactly!