Ian Evatt

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Hitthebar22
Veteran Member

Re: Ian Evatt

Post by Hitthebar22 »

russell_anderson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:21 pm
djjbafc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Lets just hope evatts agent doesnt try get rooney a move elsewhere..
To be honest, I'm expecting very soon after Evatt is confirmed as manager to see Bolton sign Platt and White on loan.
Very much understand why you say that, but not sure with the financial restrictions on Bolton if that’s allowed.

Walneyshrimp

Post by Walneyshrimp »

Hopefully, local rivalries will prevail and Blackburn will not loan players to Bolton.

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

russell_anderson wrote:
djjbafc wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Lets just hope evatts agent doesnt try get rooney a move elsewhere..
To be honest, I'm expecting very soon after Evatt is confirmed as manager to see Bolton sign Platt and White on loan.
Hopefully not, fingers crossed if they had a choice they might prefer to come here and play with a team they know.
Bish=God

chipmunx
Bronze Member

Post by chipmunx »

Walneyshrimp wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Hopefully, local rivalries will prevail and Blackburn will not loan players to Bolton.
that and Bolton are not allowed to pay money for loanees - whilst we are, so Blackburn would be better off with getting us to pay 50% of their wages rather than Bolton paying nothing.
Bring it on!!!

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

Trying to be level headed thinking about this, he got us promoted, has a potentially good opportunity at a large football club so can see the appeal of him going. We're going to receive a very good fee, and we will get plenty of applicants.

Add to this our top players are all in contract and can't follow the manager as his new club can't buy anyone.

We will also get a significantly higher amount of cash in L2, and if we stay up and invest right the club could be in an even better place in a year's time.
Bish=God

russell_anderson
Gold Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Hitthebar22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm
russell_anderson wrote:
Very much understand why you say that, but not sure with the financial restrictions on Bolton if that’s allowed.
Bolton aren't allowed to pay a loan fee but at Division 2 level many loans don't have a loan fee but merely pay a portion of the players wages. Even if Blackburn wanted a loan fee then that could easily be replaced by paying an increased proportion of the players wages so there's absolutely nothing to stop Bolton signing them if Blackburn agreed as far as I can see - unless somebody knows different?

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Hadrian wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:56 pm
Been waiting to find out what the outcome of this sorry episode was before saying this....but you’ve beaten me to it.
I’ve been saying exactly that to the lads at work. At the time we’d all been taken in by IEs stories of “honesty & love for the club, supporters and board” and surely there could only be one bad guy in that situation and it wasn’t hard to point the finger at Haythornthwaite......the pantomime villain. It looks like we all jumped the gun!

It’s left a very nasty taste has this.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing Ian. I would say my first inkling that he had a first class ego was earlier than Fylde. Very early on in his tenure he did some local interviews with the press in Chesterfield where he made some comments that indicated to me that he was very angry at being snubbed for the Chesterfield job that was given to Martin Allen. Its all water under the bridge but I came to the conclusion that he wanted that job badly but when he didn't get it, he seemed to react poorly and was actually pretty dismissive of Chesterfield thereafter.

And yes I think there was quite a bit more to the Fylde affair than was officially reported at the time. There was clearly a dialogue going on and multiple offers made. Chairman Dave really did think he'd got his man. His anger afterwards was always put down to typical petulance but there was some rage and spite in his reaction - the comments in the press and in the programme - that made me think that Chairman Dave was convinced that someone had made a monkey of him. Again Evatts subsequent comments about Fylde were barbed.

It doesn't detract from the achievement of course. But it does question some of the story that has grown up around the achievement. I think he must have been dismayed when he discovered that Cassons weren't as committed as he thought they might be and can well believe that he must've been close to walking at that point. Ironically the new Board was a God send because it shared both his ambition and his passion - though perhaps for slightly differing reasons that have ultimately diverged. They were never actually on the same path - just parallel ones. Might go some way to explaining why this? why now?

Nevertheless its been a very effective partnership with each enabling each other. The last two years has convinced me that the idea of this one man being at the centre of the universe is something of a myth. He seems to work at his best when he is extorting, cajoling and mildly bullying. But he also seems to need the right environment and the right people to feed from and that should be the main concern for those at Bolton that have hired him.

He's a good talker of course. I'll be interested to see how much Bolton have been prepared to shell out for him and however good our negotiating skills have been, I'm willing to bet that Ian Evatt despite not even officially saying a word, has personally been able to convince Bolton that he is worth every penny. Hes good at that.

PerthBluebird

Post by PerthBluebird »

Steeley wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 pm
Trying to be level headed thinking about this, he got us promoted, has a potentially good opportunity at a large football club so can see the appeal of him going. We're going to receive a very good fee, and we will get plenty of applicants.

Add to this our top players are all in contract and can't follow the manager as his new club can't buy anyone.

We will also get a significantly higher amount of cash in L2, and if we stay up and invest right the club could be in an even better place in a year's time.
Agree steeley but very grim this. Have our lads met up lifted the trophy or received medals enjoyed the moment , last week he was on radio saying push for league 1 ect carry on building not over. Will he come back and poach all our talent knowing their contracts inside out but yet at the same time we are in the dark. Must also be noted as off yet nothing has changed and it must be realised that even for evatt the board must have a price to which they will let him go financially you dont even know fully Evatt could even be pushing it as far as he can for the club to get the most they can , we just dont know , If bolton had zero financial issue everyone would turn round and go fair play progression and even id admit that.
Its Barra babi not Barrow

Main Stand SeasonTct

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct »

Steeley wrote:

Absolutely spot on. We thank Evatt for what he has delivered, the board for whatever they have negotiated from Bolton and move on to recruiting another manager.League 2 here we come.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

russell_anderson wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:41 pm
Hitthebar22 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Bolton aren't allowed to pay a loan fee but at Division 2 level many loans don't have a loan fee but merely pay a portion of the players wages. Even if Blackburn wanted a loan fee then that could easily be replaced by paying an increased proportion of the players wages so there's absolutely nothing to stop Bolton signing them if Blackburn agreed as far as I can see - unless somebody knows different?
Dont think he'll have that much of a problem with the embargo Russ. I believe that embargo rules will allow him to have a playing budget of at least £600k for the season. That would probably be enough to keep Bolton afloat next season. Though he'll be a miracle worker if he achieves promotion on that.

So you may well see Platt heading to Bolton. One caveat however - I think there is a time limit on all loans under embargo conditions. It might be 6 months which would mean that season long loans would not be possible.

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

PerthBluebird wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 pm
Steeley wrote:

Agree steeley but very grim this. Have our lads met up lifted the trophy or received medals enjoyed the moment , last week he was on radio saying push for league 1 ect carry on building not over. Will he come back and poach all our talent knowing their contracts inside out but yet at the same time we are in the dark. Must also be noted as off yet nothing has changed and it must be realised that even for evatt the board must have a price to which they will let him go financially you dont even know fully Evatt could even be pushing it as far as he can for the club to get the most they can , we just dont know , If bolton had zero financial issue everyone would turn round and go fair play progression and even id admit that.
Deffo a bit of a stinker that the squad probably won't get a trophy celebration etc but that's how this year's going! I'm sure the club will organise something to celebrate once possible, if not the fans will first home game.
Bish=God

liverpoolann

Post by liverpoolann »

Thought that myself

+[ [[Kris]] ]+

Post by +[ [[Kris]] ]+ »

Thought the Evatt poster sales might need boost

SayitagainSam

Post by SayitagainSam »

'Toast without Jam' - No thanks say Bolton Fans.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/too-b ... att-chase/

£200K plus Peter Atherton as New Manager - We'll take that deal.

CH BAFC

Post by CH BAFC »

+[ [[Kris]] ]+ wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm
Thought the Evatt poster sales might need boost

Heresy....