Ian Evatt

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Re: Ian Evatt

Post by Wintergreen »

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Max Ehrmann
Barrow Supporters Branch
Indiana USA
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

There seems to be an awful lot of people on here who if offered a new job with doubled/trebled/quadrupled/whatever their wages plus better facilities to work at they would turn it down. In the real world and taking aside our own strong loyalties to Barrow AFC that just wouldn’t be the case

I get why people are angry with the way things have played out because Bolton are in League Two but say for example it was Sunderland who came calling (another bigger club than us that’s fallen on bad times) people wouldn’t be getting so worked up; and to be honest we would probably have only had him for another year anyway.
Evatt has got us what we’ve always dreamt of, and possibly a nice £200k bonus on top of that. Yes it’s bad timing because it’s delayed the planning for the new season but we have to move on now and trust the board to get his successor correct

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

With apologies to Wintergreen:

Promotion earned,
Head turned,
Barrow spurned.
Fingers burned?

Paulmichael

Post by Paulmichael »

Will these peaceful bolton fans be saying what a genuine guy he is, when he leaves them in the lurch as soon as another club offer more money

DaveP
Gold Member

Post by DaveP »

"we sure as hell have the resources"

Tell that to all the local businesses you didn't pay!

Moribund
Gold Member

Post by Moribund »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:12 am
There seems to be an awful lot of people on here who if offered a new job with doubled/trebled/quadrupled/whatever their wages plus better facilities to work at they would turn it down. In the real world and taking aside our own strong loyalties to Barrow AFC that just wouldn’t be the case

I get why people are angry with the way things have played out because Bolton are in League Two but say for example it was Sunderland who came calling (another bigger club than us that’s fallen on bad times) people wouldn’t be getting so worked up; and to be honest we would probably have only had him for another year anyway.
Evatt has got us what we’ve always dreamt of, and possibly a nice £200k bonus on top of that. Yes it’s bad timing because it’s delayed the planning for the new season but we have to move on now and trust the board to get his successor correct
You know it's not as simple as "anyone else would've taken a pay rise". He's 38, not 58 - there is no rush to climb the ladder. If he'd have hung on and given us a good season, he'd have been looking at a much bigger job and a much bigger pay increase.

Anyway, most of the ire isn't even because he's leaving, it's because he's told us all how much the club means to him and he can't wait for next season, knowing full well that he's got an offer on the table from Bolton. It's the deceit.

Nigel Bamford
Platinum Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

Announcement later today, says NWEM:
https://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/1855016 ... wanderers/
It all comes 'round again.

steel panther

Post by steel panther »

Agree entirely about deceit. Like most people say he was always going to leave at some point, it`s just the way its happened. Talks about loyalty and trust in interviews, quite laughable really !

Chrisj

Post by Chrisj »

DaveP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 am

That was nothing to do with the current regime they can do nothing about the past that lies with Anderson he is responsible for those businesses not getting paid in full FV have paid all what they were supposed too in the terms of the takeover and since then everyone is being paid in full and on time therefore please do not bring the past in when talking about our new owners judge them since the takeover

blue future

Post by blue future »

Who even cares about Bolton!!!!!!!

Bingo
Platinum Member

Post by Bingo »

I love it when the big clubs fall on hard times they always think it can't get worse than this.. Then it does

Let's not try and change history Evatt and his team need to be thanked, the board need to be thanked. They backed him and he was given a chance by Barrow. Thanks to the Cassons for giving him the job, but if they had stopped he would probably have been gone after the first 9 games this season.

Let's also stop the bullshit about us having a bottom 3 budget, PH said the other week this was false and it was more like a top ten budget.

Thanks for the memories, thanks for the great football and thanks for getting Barrow into the football league. Good luck in life, hope Bolton is a disaster for you tho

cuffy

Post by cuffy »

Chrisj wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am
DaveP wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 am

That was nothing to do with the current regime they can do nothing about the past that lies with Anderson he is responsible for those businesses not getting paid in full FV have paid all what they were supposed too in the terms of the takeover and since then everyone is being paid in full and on time therefore please do not bring the past in when talking about our new owners judge them since the takeover
Pass me a tissue, boo hoo

boltonsorry

Post by boltonsorry »

I’m sure you are royally fed up with Bolton fans posting here, but I’ve read this thread the past few days to keep up with the rumours and as a Bolton fan for over 40 years wanted to say how embarrassing it is to read the fact that some of our deluded fans are not content with ballooning on Twitter they also want to do it with other fans forums.

I’m sorry about what is happening, it is sadly the way football goes. And ultimately it’s happened to us and will again. However, you are all right to point out where our club has fallen to, and frankly we will be in a relegation battle again this coming season. We have hardly any contracted players and whilst we will have an ok playing budget we will be starting from scratch, and certainly won’t be blowing the division away financially. Our road back is long and far from guaranteed. We’ve been here before but there is no guarantee at all we can or will rise again. The landscape is so different now. We fell out of the premiership the year before a new TV deal was done that meant we missed out on the huge settlements clubs get nowadays. This isn’t just the premiership but clubs that get relegated in effect creating a championship that is divided by haves and have nots. Our new owners are good people who can run us with modest investment but our fans don’t seem to realise that means we won’t be going back to the level we were once at. Not in any hurry.

I do personally think it’s quite a good move for IE as he has a chance to start the rebuild - but it’s not going to be fast I shouldn’t think. The idea that having a big stadium means you walk the league is laughable. Players is what matters and in effect we don’t have more than a few promising but not ready yet kids...it’s a big ask.

I would think even with Evatt walking out you are in a far better position than us for the coming season. Longer term it’s probably a different story but next season or so......

Play with my balls

Post by Play with my balls »

boltonsorry wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am
I’m sure you are royally fed up with Bolton fans posting here, but I’ve read this thread the past few days to keep up with the rumours and as a Bolton fan for over 40 years wanted to say how embarrassing it is to read the fact that some of our deluded fans are not content with ballooning on Twitter they also want to do it with other fans forums.

I’m sorry about what is happening, it is sadly the way football goes. And ultimately it’s happened to us and will again. However, you are all right to point out where our club has fallen to, and frankly we will be in a relegation battle again this coming season. We have hardly any contracted players and whilst we will have an ok playing budget we will be starting from scratch, and certainly won’t be blowing the division away financially. Our road back is long and far from guaranteed. We’ve been here before but there is no guarantee at all we can or will rise again. The landscape is so different now. We fell out of the premiership the year before a new TV deal was done that meant we missed out on the huge settlements clubs get nowadays. This isn’t just the premiership but clubs that get relegated in effect creating a championship that is divided by haves and have nots. Our new owners are good people who can run us with modest investment but our fans don’t seem to realise that means we won’t be going back to the level we were once at. Not in any hurry.

I do personally think it’s quite a good move for IE as he has a chance to start the rebuild - but it’s not going to be fast I shouldn’t think. The idea that having a big stadium means you walk the league is laughable. Players is what matters and in effect we don’t have more than a few promising but not ready yet kids...it’s a big ask.

I would think even with Evatt walking out you are in a far better position than us for the coming season. Longer term it’s probably a different story but next season or so......
Well said.

Ian Evatt is a great manager and if he does eventually end up at Bolton (as is looking likely now) I expect he will do a fantastic job for you.

Managers come and go these days - it’s rare a manager lasts more than 3 or 4 seasons nowadays. The second results take a turn the manager is sacked so I don’t really blame Ian Evatt or other managers for looking after themselves! Am I annoyed he is leaving us? Yes. Will I get over it? Yes.

We’ll move forwards and hopefully with someone that can keep us playing in the same style.

4kidsMike

Post by 4kidsMike »

Time to move on and welcome the next manager of Barrow AFC . Sick of most of these Bolton fans although I totally agree with the bloke above admitting the problems ahead yes IE is good but he isn't a miracle worker. Although what he did with us is one I feel taking on that job is as they say "a bridge to far" already looking forward to going to the Reebok. Macron's. Unibol whatever the ground is called and looking at 25,000 empty seats and a Barrow victory of course
Football, Bloody hell