Ian Evatt

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Bradders

Re: Ian Evatt

Post by Bradders »

boltonsorry wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am
I’m sure you are royally fed up with Bolton fans posting here, but I’ve read this thread the past few days to keep up with the rumours and as a Bolton fan for over 40 years wanted to say how embarrassing it is to read the fact that some of our deluded fans are not content with ballooning on Twitter they also want to do it with other fans forums.

I’m sorry about what is happening, it is sadly the way football goes. And ultimately it’s happened to us and will again. However, you are all right to point out where our club has fallen to, and frankly we will be in a relegation battle again this coming season. We have hardly any contracted players and whilst we will have an ok playing budget we will be starting from scratch, and certainly won’t be blowing the division away financially. Our road back is long and far from guaranteed. We’ve been here before but there is no guarantee at all we can or will rise again. The landscape is so different now. We fell out of the premiership the year before a new TV deal was done that meant we missed out on the huge settlements clubs get nowadays. This isn’t just the premiership but clubs that get relegated in effect creating a championship that is divided by haves and have nots. Our new owners are good people who can run us with modest investment but our fans don’t seem to realise that means we won’t be going back to the level we were once at. Not in any hurry.

I do personally think it’s quite a good move for IE as he has a chance to start the rebuild - but it’s not going to be fast I shouldn’t think. The idea that having a big stadium means you walk the league is laughable. Players is what matters and in effect we don’t have more than a few promising but not ready yet kids...it’s a big ask.

I would think even with Evatt walking out you are in a far better position than us for the coming season. Longer term it’s probably a different story but next season or so......
Well said didn’t see this when I posted either. Good luck also.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

After listening to all these Bolton supporters I’m starting to feel like I know more about their history than I do about ours.

As many others have said, it’s not the leaving, it’s what looks like all the lies and deceit that has gone on. It’s like he was reading off a script but in reality plotting his next move, made even worse as I now firmly believe there was more to that “handshake”. As dodgy as Haythornthwaite undoubtedly is it looks like he was bettered by the dodgier person.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

cuffy

Post by cuffy »

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am
After listening to all these Bolton supporters I’m starting to feel like I know more about their history than I do about ours.

As many others have said, it’s not the leaving, it’s what looks like all the lies and deceit that has gone on. It’s like he was reading off a script but in reality plotting his next move, made even worse as I now firmly believe there was more to that “handshake”. As dodgy as Haythornthwaite undoubtedly is it looks like he was bettered by the dodgier person.
I agree. Who would have Imagined that Dog Food Dave would have a higher standing on this forum than Devious Ian with some of the contributors.

russell_anderson
Gold Member

Post by russell_anderson »

boltonsorry wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:09 am
I’m sure you are royally fed up with Bolton fans posting here, but I’ve read this thread the past few days to keep up with the rumours and as a Bolton fan for over 40 years wanted to say how embarrassing it is to read the fact that some of our deluded fans are not content with ballooning on Twitter they also want to do it with other fans forums.

I’m sorry about what is happening, it is sadly the way football goes. And ultimately it’s happened to us and will again. However, you are all right to point out where our club has fallen to, and frankly we will be in a relegation battle again this coming season. We have hardly any contracted players and whilst we will have an ok playing budget we will be starting from scratch, and certainly won’t be blowing the division away financially. Our road back is long and far from guaranteed. We’ve been here before but there is no guarantee at all we can or will rise again. The landscape is so different now. We fell out of the premiership the year before a new TV deal was done that meant we missed out on the huge settlements clubs get nowadays. This isn’t just the premiership but clubs that get relegated in effect creating a championship that is divided by haves and have nots. Our new owners are good people who can run us with modest investment but our fans don’t seem to realise that means we won’t be going back to the level we were once at. Not in any hurry.

I do personally think it’s quite a good move for IE as he has a chance to start the rebuild - but it’s not going to be fast I shouldn’t think. The idea that having a big stadium means you walk the league is laughable. Players is what matters and in effect we don’t have more than a few promising but not ready yet kids...it’s a big ask.

I would think even with Evatt walking out you are in a far better position than us for the coming season. Longer term it’s probably a different story but next season or so......
Nice to read a post from a Bolton realist. Nobody could dispute the fact that the natural position of Bolton in the football hierarchy in terms of your potential support is at a higher level than Barrow. However, as you correctly point out, Bolton are quite a long way from its natural position currently. You can get back but your natural place based on potential support is as a good Championship team with the possibility of yo-yoing between that and the Premier League but that will only happen if you have owners willing to spend an awful lot of money because you don't get out of the Championship now without spending an awful lot of money. Ian Evatt has been a very good manager for Barrow but many good managers at one club have been unsuccessful after moving to another so it remains to be seen how he gets on at your place. One thing you can be sure of is that he will insist your players try to play good football but, as is always the case, in the end it boils down to their ability to do it!

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick »

My Bolton mate says you have six players on contract. If you think Evatt can get a squad together and get promoted in the first season you'd better think again. Standby for a struggle for at least two seasons and you won't be taking six points off us. Enjoy.

Bradders

Post by Bradders »

all Bets are off.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro »

spirit of 1990 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am

Trotters Motors have missed out in a first class salesman.

+[ [[Kris]] ]+

Post by +[ [[Kris]] ]+ »

BREAKING! Sky Sports News Exclusive!

Sky going early on this, not sure if it's confirmed yet.

cuffy

Post by cuffy »

+[ [[Kris]] ]+ wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:48 am
BREAKING! Sky Sports News Exclusive!

Sky going early on this, not sure if it's confirmed yet.

You’ve got to thank the internet and modern technology for some things. It made me laugh. Cheers

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

^ Posts such as Kris's above are why this forum really needs a 'like' button. :D
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Cubbins Paratrooper
Veteran Member

Post by Cubbins Paratrooper »

Brought a smile to my dial as well, Poss.

MikeRenney

Post by MikeRenney »

Can’t believe some of the posts which are scathing of Ian Evatt. He got us promotion after 48 years and after that it was alway odds on he would be liable to go to a bigger club, although he has not gone yet. I know this is football and it can be devious and messy but the bulk of the unrest would appear to be caused by Bolton trying to get him on the cheap. If they meet the conditions then he goes, if he wants to, it as simple as that. Good luck to him and eternal thanks to him for what he has done for us. I would have preferred him to stay and stabilise us before he left but such is life.
I think some of the critics should remember similar actions on our part when we have helped ourselves to players from the likes of Workington without too many scruples.
Last edited by MikeRenney on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hearing that Barrow players are currently being called to notify them Evatt has gone before making a public announcement.

russell_anderson
Gold Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Yes. It seems as though an announcement will be made very soon.

Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for the good times Ian but ultimately blinded by the £ signs and had his head turned. Can't wait to beat them at the UNIBOL