Barrow clock up another 7-0 win to progress to 3rd round of FA Trophy

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Post Reply
Barrow Lad New
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Barrow clock up another 7-0 win to progress to 3rd round of FA Trophy

Post by Barrow Lad New »

Barrow: Dixon, Brough, Taylor, Hird, Rooney, Quigley, Kay, Platt, White, Harrison, Barry.
63: Dyson replaced Rooney, Angus replaced Quigley
70: Hardcastle replaced White

GOALS: Barry (16), Kay (35), Rooney (45, 62 penalty), Harrison- or Doyle OG (68), Angus (84, 88)

FC United of Manchester: Belford, Morris, Dodd, Griffiths, Doyle, Jones, Ennis, Potts, Owolabi, Curran, Linney
Half-Time: Donohue replaced Ennis
56: Lenehan replaced Potts.
69: Sinclair-Smith replaced Curran

Booked: Potts (52, foul on Barry); Owolabi (56, foul on Hird)
Sent Off: Doyle (78, handball in area)

Barrow AFC gave FC United of Manchester a masterclass in quality possession football and incisive finishing, recording a second 7-0 home victory on the trot to the delight of the 1,376 Barrow supporters. Hats off then to the 516 away supporters who sang and cheered their team throughout with good humour- a credit to the game. The 1,892 total crowd was an excellent turnout for the Second Round of the FA Trophy, especially given the windy wet conditions.

Only 5 minutes in, a good ball forward by Tom White gave Brad Barry a cross which was cleared off the line. In the 10th minute a long ball from Sam Hird to Josh Kay gave John Rooney a cross on goal which was parried by Cameron Belford. Both Scott Quigley and Rooney then had shots saved before Barrow’s 16th minute opener. A Rooney throw was latched upon by Quigley who crossed for Brad Barry to poke in from close range.

In the 27th minute a Rooney shot was blocked by Cameron. Three minutes later, following a foul on Patrick Brough, he placed a 20 yard free kick just wide of the left post.

In the 35th minute a good build up by Kay and Rooney saw Barry cross to the advancing Kay for another close range goal.

In the 43rd minute a sharp shot from Quigley was parried by Cameron but two minutes later Rooney made it 3-0. Another close range finish, this time from a low Quigley cross.

All Barrow- and so it continued. FC United replaced Paul Ennis with Michael Donohue at half-time but within two minutes Kay had put Quigley through on goal for his shot to be parried. Two minutes later Quigley was fouled and Rooney’s free kick again went just wide of the left upright.

Finally, FC United had a chance in the 51st minute. Regan Linney was though on goal but Joel Dixon’s close range block kept the clean sheet. FC United’s captain Mike Potts was replaced by Jack Leneham in the 56th minute. He had just been booked and, seconds after the change, Tunde Owolabi followed him into referee Gareth Rhodes’s notebook.

Two minutes later a great run by Rooney gave Kay a chance for his second but his close range shot flew over the bar.

In the 62nd minute, White again put Kay through on goal but this time he was tripped by Aaron Morris in the area, Rooney making no mistake with his penalty for 4-0.

Rooney and Quigley were then replaced by Olly Dyson and Dior Angus. Five minutes after the change, a good cross from the left from Patrick Brough was either headed by Chris Doyle into his own net - or by Byron Harrison who was congratulated by the Barrow players.

Lewis Hardcastle then came on for Tom White as the visitors replaced Curran with Sinclair-Smith.

In the 78th minute, intense Barrow pressure saw Kay’s shot parried from a Platt assist, Dyson then firing over the bar- thanks to the hand of Chris Doyle in the way, compounding his earlier own goal by being given a straight red. Byron Harrison stepped up to take the penalty but fired into the right post.

A melee near the touchline then ensued as tempers were stoked by the dismissal.

In the 84th minute, Barrow finally made it six as Hardcastle’s through ball was calmly latched on to by Angus who stroked it into the net.

Two minutes later, Hardcastle himself came agonisingly louse to making it seven when his shot first went into the right post, then across the goal and coming out off the left post!

Hardcastle and Angus teamed up again for almost a carbon copy of the sixth goal to finally making it 7-0 in the 88th minute

A goalline cross by FC United’s Donohue from a Sinclair Smith ball forward in the first minute of added time had no-one to meet it, so no consolation goal for the still singing away fans.

Brad Barry was awarded Barrow’s man of the match and we emphatically progress to the third round.
Last edited by Barrow Lad New on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests