Decisions being made

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Re: Decisions being made

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Further to the above I've checked the rules that apply to promotion and relegation to and from the EFL. I found the following clause.

5.3 Subject to the provisions of the Articles of Association and these Regulations, The League may from time to time and upon such terms and conditions as it may think fit admit any Association Football club as a member or expel or accept the retirement of any member from The League provided always that no member may be expelled without the sanction of a special resolution passed at an Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting of The League. Any casual vacancy occurring in the membership of The League may be filled by the Board.

The constitution of the EFL allows for no more than 72 clubs and for no more than 24 clubs in each league.

So as far as I can see, should the EFL choose to have its full compliment in League 2 next season, it has full discretion to do so without infringing on FA rules or regulations. Doesn't mean that they would have to choose us of course and if the NL season were voided any decision to admit a 24th club probably could only be taken at the EFL AGM and who knows when that would be. But personally I dont think running a club light sits well with the EFL so I dont see any reason why it wont fill the gap.

One other thought comes to mind. Were the NL to actually make the decision to have winners this season and chose Barrow then I'm not sure that the EFL, by their own rules, would necessarily be duty bound to take us especially if, in their infinite wisdom the EFL decided that they weren't going to recognise promotion or relegation in their own ranks. They could choose to stay with 23 clubs if they really wished and could use the rationale that the season had not been satisfactorily concluded to do so.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

Lets all just see what happens, we are in the strongest position to be promoted to League 2 and it would be the fairest outcome, based upon league positions and PPG.

Lets have that glass half full Barrow fans!!
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Whatever happens I hope we don’t have to wait and see if the Premier League finishes (July?) before each division below can make their own decision

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Although if it does go to a vote between member clubs on whether to void the season or go on PPG it might be time to try and source a load of hampers for each clubs chairman, a load of toilet rolls each should do it at the moment

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Agree with that Jonty.

All I'm saying is please dont anybody slit their wrists if and when the FA accedes to the NLs request to close the season. They probably will do so and soon as there wont be any other choice. Just dont get hung up on what the NL do and judge the NL on what they are able to do for its members to help keep them afloat.

We will be at the Top of whatever NL League table represents the closed season. It is not struck from the record. We are allowed to refer to it. But beyond that point the NL doesn't matter that much in terms of this issue.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:16 pm
Whatever happens I hope we don’t have to wait and see if the Premier League finishes (July?) before each division below can make their own decision
As I read the rules, the EFL can make a decision to admit whenever they want but would probably need to ratify this at an AGM or EGM.

andyg

Post by andyg »

So 48 years on we are again at the mercy of a football league decision at an AGM

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Whatever the outcome, we will not have the joy of seeing Barrow finally clinch promotion at a game at Holker Street, as we did so memorably in 1967 or, probably, the pleasure of celebrating with our management and team.

sandbee

Post by sandbee »

Jim wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 am
Whatever the outcome, we will not have the joy of seeing Barrow finally clinch promotion at a game at Holker Street, as we did so memorably in 1967 or, probably, the pleasure of celebrating with our management and team.
Of course that might not have happened regardless. Teams often clinch promotion at distant away matches, or as a result of the outcome of a rival's match elsewhere.

If ( fingers crossed ) you do go up, when this crisis is finally over, there are other ways to celebrate. An open top bus parade through the streets perhaps?

I was at the Morecambe v Barnet match years ago, Morecambe's first ever football league fixture. How Morecambe celebrated pre kick off! I still remember it now. Hopefully that can be you in August ( or whenever the new season starts!).

Hope everything works out for you. It ought to, considering Bury's demise.

Pedro
Silver Member

Post by Pedro »

sandbee wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:59 am
Jim wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:42 am
Of course that might not have happened regardless. Teams often clinch promotion at distant away matches, or as a result of the outcome of a rival's match elsewhere.

If ( fingers crossed ) you do go up, when this crisis is finally over, there are other ways to celebrate. An open top bus parade through the streets perhaps?

I was at the Morecambe v Barnet match years ago, Morecambe's first ever football league fixture. How Morecambe celebrated pre kick off! I still remember it now. Hopefully that can be you in August ( or whenever the new season starts!).

Hope everything works out for you. It ought to, considering Bury's demise.
As usual those in charge are ditherers as is common Jobs for the Boys but Boys who cannot do the job.

We had this procrastination when Vaughan was in charge.
The authorities would not make a decision because they thought we would get relegated to Northern Premier League as we were in trouble ,players left because we had no money.

We managed to stay up against all the odds and then they made a decision to relegate us.
At the same time some people from Workington wanted us relegated two leagues below

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Probably has to go to their AGM, so I don't think we'll know for a while.

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

Latest statement is that people have taken the statement yesterday the wrong way

National Leagues stance is still to finish the season at the safest time possible and have only asked the FA for guidance in postponing the final games

It’s all cloak and dagger and he said she said nobody has a clue and that includes the people who are calling the shots

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen »

andyg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 am
So 48 years on we are again at the mercy of a football league decision at an AGM
yes

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

barrowaberdeen wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:39 pm
andyg wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 am
yes
Would be an ironic twist of fate though if it led to our re-admission.

Nigel Bamford
Platinum Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

National League 'may be played to a fin ... l/52048930

Confusion reigned and we all got wet.
It all comes 'round again.