The Non-League Paper

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Hadrian
Gold Member

The Non-League Paper

Post by Hadrian »

I remember when the Non-League Paper was first published, I thought it was such a good idea but would never last. What do I know?

It hasn't been all plain-sailing over the years but the NLP is still with us, bringing an incomparable range of news, photos, results, tables and articles on a Sunday morning throughout the season. (Unless you live in Carlisle when it only turns up on a Monday. :roll:) Out of season, news stories - including all the latest signings throughout the pyramid - mix with reviews of the previous season, historical articles and pieces previewing the season to come plus extensive coverage of pre-season friendlies. All for £1.50.

How have they coped with the current unusual circumstances? Very well, in fact, with a wide range of really good articles. In fact, I would venture the whole package is at least as good a read as the regular season version and the football matches don't get in the way! It is well-worth supporting.

But this is the Barrow forum - why here rather than General Football?

How many times have you thought in recent weeks "This can't be happening!" and then there's football. "Barrow top of the league - but the league is snatched away in the final weeks. It must be a dream!"

On my daily exercise this morning, I picked up this week's paper and on my return sat with a morning coffee to read it. It was then I realised.
It had been a dream and I had slept through the end of the season. :shock:

On April 1st, I read, Barrow had lost the vital TV game at Harrogate 2-0 to raise hopes in North Yorks. But Town had then failed to capitalise with mixed performances while Ian Evatt had driven the side on to an unbeaten run to the end of the season to become Champions by a margin of seven points!

Then, of course, I noticed yesterday's date on the paper. What was I looking at?

It was a two-page spread about a simulation of the end-of-season run-in for the NLP by Sports International, creators of the Football Manager game. Nonsense, of course, but a good effort and definitely worth a look. In the same way, the paper is definitely worth supporting at this difficult time.

Desmond2-2

Re: The Non-League Paper

Post by Desmond2-2 »

Have to agree the coverage of non league is exceptional through this paper. I’m an attendance geek so love it for that really, we use to get very little mention until our recent successes but hey it’s doing a great job on us nowadays, enjoy it while it lasts, Cos this is football, or not.

xerxes
Silver Member

Post by xerxes »

Desmond2-2 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:23 am
we use to get very little mention until our recent successes
Let's hope they never need to mention us again from next season !

jaycarter

Post by jaycarter »

xerxes wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 pm
Desmond2-2 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:23 am
we use to get very little mention until our recent successes
Let's hope they never need to mention us again from next season !
Except to say how good we are doing in League 2.

Mr Zebedee

Post by Mr Zebedee »

Hadrian wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm
It hasn't been all plain-sailing over the years but the NLP is still with us, bringing an incomparable range of news, photos, results, tables and articles on a Sunday morning throughout the season. (Unless you live in Carlisle when it only turns up on a Monday. :roll:)
Given that Carlisle are likely to remain in League 2 for at least another 12 months, presumably distribution problems in Carlisle won't be too much of an issue for the time being. (Likewise I expect sales of NLP will go down in Barrow if common sense prevails regarding promotion and relegation)

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

Good reading again this week and further coverage of 'the dilemma' in this week's paper. Suggestion that the majority of clubs in NL divisions see no prospect of play-offs, season should be made null and void. Their panel all hint/expect Barrow to replace Bury.

But then they don't make the decision.

If you can spare £1.50 when doing your weekly shop, it is well-worth supporting.

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

Mr Zebedee wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 pm
Hadrian wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:59 pm
It hasn't been all plain-sailing over the years but the NLP is still with us, bringing an incomparable range of news, photos, results, tables and articles on a Sunday morning throughout the season. (Unless you live in Carlisle when it only turns up on a Monday. :roll:)
Given that Carlisle are likely to remain in League 2 for at least another 12 months, presumably distribution problems in Carlisle won't be too much of an issue for the time being. (Likewise I expect sales of NLP will go down in Barrow if common sense prevails regarding promotion and relegation)
Be able to buy their sister paper the football league paper instead

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Hadrian wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 pm
Good reading again this week and further coverage of 'the dilemma' in this week's paper. Suggestion that the majority of clubs in NL divisions see no prospect of play-offs, season should be made null and void. Their panel all hint/expect Barrow to replace Bury.

But then they don't make the decision.

If you can spare £1.50 when doing your weekly shop, it is well-worth supporting.
Frustrating isn't it.? So many objective observers seem to think we'll take the Bury slot. But no one can agree on an acceptable reason for doing so. I think I'd be happy with the NL just admitting they dont really feel like promoting anyone but then admitting that our case was the strongest and then just leave it up to the EFL. If you cant actually promote us then dont prevent somebody else from doing so.

barrowaberdeen
Platinum Member

Post by barrowaberdeen »

The EFL want some sort of steer from the NFL. In my opinion. The paper is barking up the wrong tree with the likes on Dunleavy's column who basically blamed everyone above us, rather than showing some cojones.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

A little guy showing some cojones might find the big dog next door biting them off because it is under the control of the even bigger dog next door that rules the neighbourhood.

Desmond2-2

Post by Desmond2-2 »

Unbelievable this!! I have continued buying this paper to support them through this tough time. Today I notice they have our league printed incorrectly, they have us 1 point ahead of Harrogate, useless [SwearFilter] I won’t be buying again.