Favourite home games

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Paulmichael

Favourite home games

Post by Paulmichael »

Following on from the recent 'favourite away days' thought I'd relieve the current doom and gloom with everyones recollections of their favourite home games
My 5 in no particular order

Altrincham trophy 88
Colne trophy 90
Boston league 98
Nuneaton fa cup 2002?
Brentford fa cup 2008

Matty
Platinum Member

Re: Favourite home games

Post by Matty »

Salisbury Trophy 2010
Brentford FA Cup 2008
Oxford FA Cup Replay 2009
Chesterfield and Salford 3-2 victories last season are up there for me.
Popular side since '03.

Conference North Champions 2014-15

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

Nuneaton - fantastic comeback; Brentford '67 for promotion, what can you say? But there's only one winner: Southampton, 28th January 1967 FA Cup 3rd round.
It all comes 'round again.

Bingo
Platinum Member

Post by Bingo »

Barrow 1 v Boston 0 to win the league
Barrow 6 Chorley 2 coming from 2 nil down
Barrow 2 Fleetwood 0 - cowps making a boxing day comeback as to help us out - when scored that goal what a moment
Barrow 1 Runcorn 0 - in torrential rain
Barrow 2 Torquay 1 this season

Paul

Post by Paul »

Away draw at Oldham in the FA Cup - mostly for one of the best atmospheres I can remember.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Just realised the thread's about home games - too many beers in the sunshine, ha ha.

AugustusCorpa
Bronze Member

Post by AugustusCorpa »

Barrow 4-0 Fleetwood
Barrow 1-1 Colne ( trophy 2nd leg)
Barrow 1-2 Enfield (for the atmosphere)
Barrow 3-1 Wrexham (the one just after Fleetwood in 2011)
Barrow 2-1 Brentford
Last edited by AugustusCorpa on Fri May 08, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue not manky tangerine..

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Barrow 4v3 Nuneaton; would love to be able to see the highlights of that but guess they don’t exist
More recently destroying Fleetwood was fantastic, Agent Edwards returns to base

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

These are my all-time top 5 home matches and in order! Unfortunately I have had to omit the best match which was the one we didn't play recently which clinched promotion back to the Football League after 48 years.

Barrow 3 Crewe Alexandra 2, League Division 4, 24th April 1967
I notice Nigel Bamford has gone for the Southampton match and I find it hard to disagree as the atmosphere for that was unreal. However, I know I have said this before on this forum but for me the greatest football match I have ever seen anywhere in my life was this game against Crewe in front of a poor attendance of 6425 - - - yes, poor, bearing in mind what was riding on it. It might seem odd putting this one in and not the promotion-clincher against Brentford on 6th May 1967. So why have I done it? Although the Brentford game would have to rank very highly, I think I somehow felt confident we were going to get over the line whereas the Crewe match was an almost death-or-glory decider against rivals who were pushing us hard for a top four spot. And the match itself was so dramatic that words are inadequate. You just had to be there. You just had to be there to KNOW. Trailing 1-2 at half-time we simply had to turn this around or Crewe would surely overtake us as promotion favourites. And we did, with a winning goal in the dying minutes which remains the greatest goal I have seen at Holker Street. Jimmy Mulholland scored it, but it was set up by astonishing wizardry by Roy McCarthy which led Bob Herbert to famously proclaim in the Evening Mail that he felt the Town Hall Clock should be awarded to our flying winger. And the monsoon rains in which the match was played added to the drama of the occasion.

Barrow 2 Southampton 2, FA Cup 3rd Round, 28th January 1967
Nearly 16,000 packed in, many on the Popular Side (Ray Wilkie) roof and many hanging from half way up the floodlight pylons. Sardines never ever complained again after hearing about this because they realised they didn't have it so bad after all. The atmosphere was like nothing on Earth. Southampton were of course top-flight and had internationals in their team, including winger Terry Paine who had played for England in the 1966 World Cup Finals tournament just months earlier. It's timely to mention that Brian Arrowsmith later stated that this was perhaps his best performance for Barrow, up against the Welsh International, Ron Davies, who was a colossus in the air. The tension was unbearable as Barrow led 2-1 half way through the second half but a rare error by one of our greatest ever players, George Smith, allowed Davies in for an equaliser and it finished 2-2.

Barrow 1 Crystal Palace 0, Football League Cup 2nd Round, 13th September 1967
This simply has to be in here. Why? Because I am quite certain it represents our greatest ever victory in the sense that Palace were our highest-ever ranked victims. I am fairly sure we have never beaten anybody higher in the pyramid. Palace were near the top of the second flight and, at the time, we were new to the old 3rd division. But what I remember most is not just that it was our greatest win but the manner in which we played. We were Rolls-Royce that night. Jimmy Mulholland won it with the only goal of the game in the 57th minute at the Holker Street end in front of an attendance of 7908.

Barrow 1 Colne 1 (2-1 aggregate), FA Trophy Semi-Final second leg, 14th April 1990
It could have been Salisbury in 2010 but Colne in 1990 was even more memorable because it was to become our first ever visit to Wembley. The attendance was 5707. There was an added edge as well because Colne were a "moneybags" outfit who had big plans. Having won the first leg away at Colne with a Billy Gilmour goal, we looked good for Wembley when Kenny Lowe floated in a looping shot, from 25 yards out, into the Holker Street goal. What I will always remember about that was that I was square to the shot (on the Ray Wilkie side) and as Kenny's shot was half way to the goal I felt sure it was going over the bar by some distance. How it dipped to finish in the top corner I will never know. I guess Kenny Lowe had some kind of magic. Colne equalised late to make it 2-1 to us on aggregate but the last few minutes were hard to take as we hung on. It was surreal at the final whistle, hard to comprehend that little Barrow would be playing at Wembley Stadium. Colne ceased to exist not long afterwards.

Barrow 12 Gateshead 1, 3rd Division North, 5th May 1934
Not exactly a tense, riveting contest but this just has to be in here because of the scoreline, our record victory of course. Jimmy Shankly scored 5 and it leads me to wonder how many other players have scored 5 for us in one match. Anybody? I don't think even Cowps managed that. Jimmy was of course the brother of the legendary Bill Shankly. This was the final game of that season but there was still a respectable attendance of 3330 even though there was nothing really hanging on it for us as we finished 8th in the table.

whitty1969
Gold Member

Post by whitty1969 »

Great read that...thanks

mall
Veteran Member

Post by mall »

Does anyone know the attendance for the match against Altrincham in the trophy replay of 1988.
I remember it was a delayed kick off that evening because of the massive queues to get in-I remember thinking I aint ever seen the Holker End as rammed.
Evening Mail headlines the day after read....'Bluebirds Of Paradise'.

Paulmichael

Post by Paulmichael »

mall wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 am
Does anyone know the attendance for the match against Altrincham in the trophy replay of 1988.
I remember it was a delayed kick off that evening because of the massive queues to get in-I remember thinking I aint ever seen the Holker End as rammed.
Evening Mail headlines the day after read....'Bluebirds Of Paradise'.
Think it was 5100 odd, was Tommy Docherty altys manager that night ?

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

5121 according to 'The Definitive BAFC'.

Shaun
Gold Member

Post by Shaun »

pjdaly wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:30 pm
Barrow 1 Colne 1 (2-1 aggregate), FA Trophy Semi-Final second leg, 14th April 1990
It could have been Salisbury in 2010 but Colne in 1990 was even more memorable because it was to become our first ever visit to Wembley. The attendance was 5707. There was an added edge as well because Colne were a "moneybags" outfit who had big plans. Having won the first leg away at Colne with a Billy Gilmour goal, we looked good for Wembley when Kenny Lowe floated in a looping shot, from 25 yards out, into the Holker Street goal. What I will always remember about that was that I was square to the shot (on the Ray Wilkie side) and as Kenny's shot was half way to the goal I felt sure it was going over the bar by some distance. How it dipped to finish in the top corner I will never know. I guess Kenny Lowe had some kind of magic. Colne equalised late to make it 2-1 to us on aggregate but the last few minutes were hard to take as we hung on. It was surreal at the final whistle, hard to comprehend that little Barrow would be playing at Wembley Stadium. Colne ceased to exist not long afterwards.
This one for me. (With special soft spots for the 2-2 City friendly and the FA Cup win v Brentford.)
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

xerxes
Silver Member

Post by xerxes »

1964-5 Barrow 4 Hartlepools 2 (Div 4) - my first ever Barrow match - four goals in the first 11 minutes (1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2)
1966-7 Barrow 2 Tranmere 1 (FA Cup round 2) - nearly 10,000 in the ground, snow covered pitch, exciting finish
1966-7 Barrow 2 Southampton 2 (FA Cup round 3) - enough said
1966-7 Barrow 1 Brentford 0 (Div 4) - a thunderstorm as the gods welcomed Barrow into the 3rd division
2008-9 Barrow 3 Oxford Utd 0 (Conference) - first game back at this level for several years, a thumping victory against one of the fancied teams, a big crowd on a sunny summer's day