Players' contracts

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Jim
Platinum Member

Players' contracts

Post by Jim »

Which of our players are out of contract at the end of this season?

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Re: Players' contracts

Post by Lancaster Branch »

None of them by the sounds of it - all those that would have expired have been given extensions so that they can qualify for the furlough scheme.

Richard Ingham
Platinum Member

Post by Richard Ingham »

https://barrowafc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26578 lists the end of contract dates for this (19/20) seasons squad.
"Barrow produces world class feats of engineering on a regular basis. Kettering produces Weetabix" - @bafc_lancaster

"Danny Livesey collects stitches like nectar points" - @bafc_lancaster

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

On the assumption that we would've gone up by now in normal circumstances we'd be eagerly discussing whether the retained group was good enough or whether we had too many extended contracts.

If we do manage to gain promotion, and with all the chaos surrounding football, I'm more inclined to the opinion that being able to retain the core of a familiar squad may actually prove to be very beneficial as long as we can get back on the pitch that is.

Other teams not so lucky. Colchester for example have just lost 4 of their best players simply due to the fact that they are high earners. Other squads furloughed. One thing that will almost certainly happen once we do play again is that the average squad strength of most of our opponents will have weakened.

NORTHERNSOUL

Post by NORTHERNSOUL »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 pm
On the assumption that we would've gone up by now in normal circumstances we'd be eagerly discussing whether the retained group was good enough or whether we had too many extended contracts.

If we do manage to gain promotion, and with all the chaos surrounding football, I'm more inclined to the opinion that being able to retain the core of a familiar squad may actually prove to be very beneficial as long as we can get back on the pitch that is.

Other teams not so lucky. Colchester for example have just lost 4 of their best players simply due to the fact that they are high earners. Other squads furloughed. One thing that will almost certainly happen once we do play again is that the average squad strength of most of our opponents will have weakened.
Add to that there will be a surplus of FL players desperate for contracts which could well mean there may well be some willing to sign for Barrow that maybe wouldn't do so under more normal circumstances. And you would imagine that PL and Championship clubs will be more than willing to loan out their scholars in order to reduce the number they have to look after on a day to day basis while they wait for games to restart at that level.

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:32 am
Suffolk Blue wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 pm

Add to that there will be a surplus of FL players desperate for contracts which could well mean there may well be some willing to sign for Barrow that maybe wouldn't do so under more normal circumstances. And you would imagine that PL and Championship clubs will be more than willing to loan out their scholars in order to reduce the number they have to look after on a day to day basis while they wait for games to restart at that level.
If they haven't restarted we won't have restarted so why would we want to take on their costs? PL are far more likely to restart before the National League (oops!, sorry, League Two :D )
It all comes 'round again.

NORTHERNSOUL

Post by NORTHERNSOUL »

Nigel Bamford wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am
NORTHERNSOUL wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:32 am

If they haven't restarted we won't have restarted so why would we want to take on their costs? PL are far more likely to restart before the National League (oops!, sorry, League Two :D )
But we.re not talking first-team squad players tho are we ? So I wouldn't imagine getting the Academy leagues that these lads play in getting going again will be seen as much of a priority whereas reducing the number of players they have around the academy complexes with no games to play will be.

Rob

Post by Rob »

If we are promoted, then Barrow will be in an unusal position next season. Most clubs across football will be looking at cutting costs due to very reduced budgets, while very few - perhaps in England only Newcastle, Leeds, WBA, Barrow and maybe Harrogate (I'm presuming that promotions within the EFL don't result in huge budget increases, especially this year) - have increased budgets. In a normal season promoted teams obviouslty have a big budget increase, but other clubs too would in general be at least sustaining theirs, whereas this year almost all others will have to make cuts. I'd imagine that this could put us in a very strong position to build a squad.

Hadrian
Gold Member

Post by Hadrian »

We have a decent squad already. No doubt their wages would increase if in League 2 and that there would be some squad strengthening but I can imagine the board and managerial team not wanting to 'splash the cash' to any great extent given the large increase in off-field, match-day and managerial support staff that will be necessary, in addition to meeting the FL ground requirements by the due date next season.

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Evatt seems to love the group we have here; obviously there will be a few additions but whatever level we are at whenever next season happens I can’t see him going out and making loads of signings

philbrownstan

Post by philbrownstan »

Which areas do we think need strengthened? Another keeper to challenge Joel is a must for me, and some cover at full back

NORTHERNSOUL

Post by NORTHERNSOUL »

philbrownstan wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:33 pm
Which areas do we think need strengthened? Another keeper to challenge Joel is a must for me, and some cover at full back
I would imagine they may well go for a PL academy keeper as its the one position that they don't ask you to contribute to their wages so long as you name him as your no 2 keeper and have him on the bench every game. Its a case of getting them acclimatised to the matchday routine. But an off the top of my head suggestion would be the lad at Middleboro who broke his leg badly two years ago playing for Carlisle now apparently fit and raring to go and desperate to be playing games at a decent level

bigmac95
Veteran Member

Post by bigmac95 »

philbrownstan wrote:
I think the beauty of this team is that we don't need to add anything to be competitive so those coming in can be upgrades to challenge for a first team spot rather than squad players (with the exception of a backup keeper). I agree that a versatile defender would be great alongside 2 (or 1 if Platt stays) centre half's, a no.6 (to replace Taylor) and a centre forward to compete with Dior.
And on the 7th day god created football

philbrownstan

Post by philbrownstan »

NORTHERNSOUL wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm
philbrownstan wrote:
I would imagine they may well go for a PL academy keeper as its the one position that they don't ask you to contribute to their wages so long as you name him as your no 2 keeper and have him on the bench every game. Its a case of getting them acclimatised to the matchday routine. But an off the top of my head suggestion would be the lad at Middleboro who broke his leg badly two years ago playing for Carlisle now apparently fit and raring to go and desperate to be playing games at a decent level
Is that Adam Collin? Or am I thinking of the wrong fella

sambino
Veteran Member

Post by sambino »

What’s the crack with the lads we had on loan are they now back with their parent clubs obviously love to sign platt and white should Blackburn be cutting their staff down