30 years ago today

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Paulmichael

30 years ago today

Post by Paulmichael »

Where did the time go? 30 years since that first trophy win, great day, great times, the 2 legs against colne were just as memorable as the final for me, didn't go to yeovil but did the rest of them that year, anyone on here go to all the trophy games that year?

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Re: 30 years ago today

Post by pjdaly »

Yes, it certainly is difficult to believe that 30 years have gone by. It seems vivid, it feels very recent. In fact, it somehow feels more recent in my mind than the final of 10 years ago. This begs deep philosophical questions such as "what is time?" and "is time an illusion?" and "is perception of time more real than time itself?" . . . . . and then I looked in the mirror and I thought "no, time is real sure enough . . . "

RedWeb

Post by RedWeb »

Must also be about 30 years since that lad, Martin Wingfield, wrote that book about Barrow. Think it revolved around the Trophy run. Was a good book (more of a large magazine) but it later came out he was some sort of National Front fruitcake. Anyone remember this or have the book - my copy is around here somewhere.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch »

‘In the beginning there was the end’

I never had a copy, mind.

RedWeb

Post by RedWeb »

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:59 am
‘In the beginning there was the end’

I never had a copy, mind.
That's the one. Was a very good read. Haven't seen mine for a couple of years but it's definitely here somewhere :D

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

I've never heard of that publication, sounds intriguing. Pre-internet days of course so was it like a Xerox type format?
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

RedWeb

Post by RedWeb »

Wintergreen wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:46 pm
I've never heard of that publication, sounds intriguing. Pre-internet days of course so was it like a Xerox type format?
Think of a old fashioned travel brochure - like that but with a slightly stiffer cover and pics in black and white. Think it was around 80-90 pages. Very professionally produced.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

Here are the front and back covers of the above-mentioned magazine. The "end" relates to going out of the FL in 1972 and the "new beginning" is suggested as a consequence of winning the FA Trophy 30 years ago today. I remember there was political controversy attached to the writer, Martin Wingfield, but I have no idea who he is/was even though within his publication he suggests he had followed Barrow AFC from afar since 1964.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 572 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 572 times

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

“51 year fight for survival”? Is that what it was?
Eee, it’s grim up northwest Barra.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

goalie6789

Post by goalie6789 »

In the Beginning - There was the End by Martin Wingfield. Available on Amazon.

On Wikipedia Martin Wingfield is described as being on the 'far right'.

Shaun
Gold Member

Post by Shaun »

Only went to the home Colne 2nd leg and the final itself, so a bit part-time of me really, but all of that was just Heaven on Earth. Will never forget either day.
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."