Barrow in the cup

For all things Barrow AFC. Keep discussions civil and fair, we're all Barrow aren't we!
Bluebirds Trust

Barrow in the cup

Post by Bluebirds Trust »

To mark what would have been the FA Cup final, we are having a FA Cup themed raffle.

We want to know your favourite FA Cup memories from watching the Bluebirds and who knows virtual Russ may even appear there. We will be sharing your memories and ones from former players.

Here's something to jog some memories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo1Px24Gi-I

Tickets are on sale at:
https://www.bluebirdstrust.co.uk/produc ... time-draw/

Paulmichael

Re: Barrow in the cup

Post by Paulmichael »

Oldham 2001, brilliant away support, cracking day out on the train
Nuneaton 2002? Tarrant winner sealing the comeback, great scenes on the poopular side
Wigan 95 got stuffed but a packed holker street in the rain

xerxes
Silver Member

Post by xerxes »

Billy_McAdams.jpg
Billy_McAdams.jpg (85.74 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Think Oldham is my first real memory of what a huge noisy support we get at big games, how the town loves a day out

andyg

Post by andyg »

After all this is over Barrow deserves more big days out

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

xerxes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:29 pm
Billy_McAdams.jpg
This gives me goosebumps every time.
It all comes 'round again.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:11 pm
Think Oldham is my first real memory of what a huge noisy support we get at big games, how the town loves a day out
My first was against Swansea in 1984 when I was 9. Still our record crowd I believe. Also great matches against Wolves, Leicester with over 16,000 and against Southampton with over 15,000 in FA Cup matches with us running much higher opposition very close each time and managing draws in 2 of the 4. Also a good winning performance against Crystal Palace and a narrow defeat against Nottingham Forest in League Cup matches.

Bluebirds Trust

We have shared some of the earlier memories from the Bluebirds FA Cup runs via our social media sites today!

We’ve enjoyed reading about your favourite FA Cup moments and encourage you to keep sharing and don’t forget, you can buy a ticket to the raffle via the link below!

https://www.bluebirdstrust.co.uk/produc ... time-draw/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/bluebirdsst/status/ ... 35302?s=21
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/55198531825550 ... 31170/?d=n

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

Bolton
Oldham
M'boro
Sunderland
Propriety in public life is a dwindling resource. We have outsourced reason. We deserve it”

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

russell_anderson wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:01 pm
HenneysKnee wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:11 pm
My first was against Swansea in 1984 when I was 9. Still our record crowd I believe. Also great matches against Wolves, Leicester with over 16,000 and against Southampton with over 15,000 in FA Cup matches with us running much higher opposition very close each time and managing draws in 2 of the 4. Also a good winning performance against Crystal Palace and a narrow defeat against Nottingham Forest in League Cup matches.
Think you mean 1954 Russ. Looks like you have the motherload of Third Rounders in that lot. The first two were before my time but Southampton sticks in my mind as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. More so than Leicester. The one I'd like to have been able to see was the great Wolves side in 1959 (Wright, Flowers, Slater, Deeley, Mullen, Broadbent). Just before I was born.

1924-25 seems to have been an interesting year. That was the season we played Gillingham 5 times in the same round including games played at Molyneaux and Highbury before beating them 2-1 in a fourth replay at Millwall.

Here's another thought. One of the greater away days was a third round tie at Bolton Wanderers (1991?) with Phil Brown in the team for Wanderers. It was at the old Burden Park and I remember being jammed in to the away end. If things progress as we hope in the next few days we could be stepping out at the Reebok next season on level terms in a League game. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate that.

GTBLUE
Platinum Member

Post by GTBLUE »

xerxes wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:29 pm
Billy_McAdams.jpg
I was behind the goals that day and me and others ducked. What a shot that was. The hardest I had seen a ball hit back then. 2020 and still going.Who'd have thunk it :scarf:

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm
russell_anderson wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:01 pm
Think you mean 1954 Russ. Looks like you have the motherload of Third Rounders in that lot. The first two were before my time but Southampton sticks in my mind as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. More so than Leicester. The one I'd like to have been able to see was the great Wolves side in 1959 (Wright, Flowers, Slater, Deeley, Mullen, Broadbent). Just before I was born.

1924-25 seems to have been an interesting year. That was the season we played Gillingham 5 times in the same round including games played at Molyneaux and Highbury before beating them 2-1 in a fourth replay at Millwall.

Here's another thought. One of the greater away days was a third round tie at Bolton Wanderers (1991?) with Phil Brown in the team for Wanderers. It was at the old Burden Park and I remember being jammed in to the away end. If things progress as we hope in the next few days we could be stepping out at the Reebok next season on level terms in a League game. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever anticipate that.
Correct SB - a mistype! - but I wish I had been 9 in 1984 as I'd now be a lot younger! I agree with you re the Southampton match being my favourite as but for Ron Davies we'd have beaten them that day as we were the better side. The Wolves match was exciting as though they were one, if not the, best sides in the world at that time the pitch was in such a state that they couldn't play properly and it was a real battle even though it wasn't one of our better teams.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 pm
The first two were before my time but Southampton sticks in my mind as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. More so than Leicester. The one I'd like to have been able to see was the great Wolves side in 1959 (Wright, Flowers, Slater, Deeley, Mullen, Broadbent). Just before I was born.
Same here, Mark. I enjoyed the Southampton game more than the Leicester one, perhaps because we led rather than trailed and so felt more hopeful that the impossible was going to happen.

The Wolves game would have seemed surreal if I had been old enough to be there. I mean, Southampton and Leicester were top flight opponents but middling top flight sides whereas Wolves were Champions of England in January 1959. And they were turning up to play us at Holker Street! And what's more, in those days the strongest teams were fielded and not the insulting reserve teams that many top flight teams field these days. And, as you mention, packed with internationals, including the half-back line that was not only the Wolves half-back line but the England half-back line.

Can you imagine the equivalent today - - - facing a Manchester City or a LIverpool at Holker Street and all their first choice players featuring against us? The stuff of dreams. It's too late now but I wish I'd climbed out of my pram and crawled on my hands and knees to watch Wolves, the Champions of England, playing against us at Holker Street.

Bluebirds Trust

Neil Tarrant has shared his favourite FA Cup memory with us for this weekends raffle. One that We’re sure many will remember.

https://www.facebook.com/bluebirdstrust ... 910577733/

You can buy your ticket it for the raffle via the link below!

https://www.bluebirdstrust.co.uk/russ-raffle/

AugustusCorpa
Bronze Member

Post by AugustusCorpa »

Rotherham, Bolton & Oldham for best away days.
Blue not manky tangerine..