Barrow v Solihull match thread.

A forum for previous match threads.
Soulboy
Veteran Member

Re: Barrow v Solihull match thread.

Post by Soulboy »

Angus despite his size is a lightweight against big strong defenders like moors had . Their 5 daly is a decent player and commanded the box and scored. We were the best team and should have won easily. Not our day as it happened .
Johnson the ref was his usual blind biased self and he seems to relish doing us.
My only moan is we don’t alter our play when losing. Ten minutes left and we are fanbying around instead of pushing up and getting the balm in the box. This needs to change.

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

A lot of criticism toward Angus and though frustrating at times, if we don't play the lad and get him toughened up and his confidence up, he will never flourish.
We can all see moments of brilliance and it's a matter of time before the gaffers faith in the lad pays off.

If this game was played last week instead of the Dover farce, there is no doubt we would have battered Solihull. I've said it before and I will say it again, that unscheduled break has cost us!

I love a cup run like the rest but if I had the choice of a potential assault on the league or a cup run, the league would win hands down. I'm old but not old enough to witness football league at HS and I yearn for that more than anything!!

I hate this league, it's a money pit with a southern biased group of teams which mean the away travel to HS is limited. A chance in football league would surely be better with the likes of Carlisle (if they stay up) Morecambe to name a few would be worth ten plus home games to us.

We didn't get hammered Saturday, we played against 12 men all game, the constant falling over by them was dire too..

More positive than negative and we move on and get back on track.

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick »

Dagenham & Redbridge have re arranged their game at Stockport for Saturday 9th Nov, so that scuppers us for a change of date much to Cromwell's relief.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

You cant have everything in a squad of players. When we play with the ball at feet we admire their pace and skill - that is the way IE chooses to play. We also have some aerial power with Quigley and aerial defensive capability with Taylor and Platt.

However every type of squad hits own weakness and ours is clearly big physical sides that play an aerial game and defend essentially by standing on attackers and keeping their backs to the goal and behind the ball. They are incredibly difficult to break down defensively if they set up like that and always pose an aerial threat of their own on the counter or from set pieces. Solihull along with Halifax are two of the biggest sides you'll see this season - right in the Paul Cox model - so they are the sides that have the capability to stifle the life out of us. Any side with Danny Wright in it will do that and he was part of a Cheltenham squad that won more games by an odd goal in this way than any other team I can think of.

Angus is quick and pacey but very lightweight and can be bullied by these types of teams. In an ideal world we'd be able to switch the formation, rotate the squad and match up against height and weight. We dont have that luxury. So there will always be sides that can disrupt our preferred style of play. We wont lose every time as the squad we have is better than its been for a long time. We did overcome Boreham Wood, another big physical but decent side and I for one thought that was one of our better performances - but in that instance we scored early and gave them the problem.

The fact that it was the Cup probably ensured that Solihull would be right on their game which was unfortunate for lots of reasons. Most would also admit that they are a very decent side. But a season is a marathon compared to a Cup that effectively is a sprint. Our style of play needs to be considered over the longer period.

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER »

Solihull away to Oxford City in 1st round. Potential banana skin and little to be made financially gatewise.

Lightflood

Post by Lightflood »

Apart from the prize money !

Matty
Platinum Member

Post by Matty »

Butterfly effect.
Popular side since '03.

Conference North Champions 2014-15

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

Anyone know who got the bye.?

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Anyone know who got the bye.?
The lowest ranked team still in it, Chichester City

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

Thanks HK. Lucky them. Nice that it is a smaller club getting some probably much needed £'s.

JammyBluebird
Veteran Member

Post by JammyBluebird »

Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks HK. Lucky them. Nice that it is a smaller club getting some probably much needed £'s.
Pledged to donate a portion of the money to the Pheonix club of Bury FC as they say they only got the bye on their demise.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

JammyBluebird wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 pm
Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 pm
Pledged to donate a portion of the money to the Pheonix club of Bury FC as they say they only got the bye on their demise.
A generous and thoughtful gesture. Contrast that with the greedy Premiership clubs.
Well done Chichester City and good luck in the competition.

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER »

Lightflood wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:45 pm
Apart from the prize money !
Only if they win ! I did say 'gatewise' - attendance at OC's 4QR was 442 - Solihull will probably outnumber them. Incidentally Oxford rewarded their manager for going through - with the sack !

ForTheGlory

Post by ForTheGlory »

What was wrong with 22, their right back? First minute or so, throw in given and he starts shouting at IE 'you're a rat you'.....weird.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch »

Lee Vaughan - Poison dwarf. He’s always been angry at the world.