Torquay v BARROW match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
chipmunx
Bronze Member

Re: Torquay v BARROW match thread

Post by chipmunx »

Jim wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:00 pm
Looks like a fairly clear handball and then he said quite a lot to the ref, so one way or another I can't see the appeal being successful.
It might not matter if it's touched his arm or not - under the new rules if it's deflected onto his arm of another part of his body it's not a penalty
Bring it on!!!

cuffy

Post by cuffy »

Not sure what I just watched. Clear handball, well a ball delivered at pace with no attacker really near it and the referee a distance away, no chance that it could be given. Even VAR would have struggled. Rooneys reaction maybe questionable but he is a passionate player and the game is about passion so I can understand him being miffed by what looks a dodgy decision. Time to move on. Atb Cuffy

SKIPPER
Platinum Member

Post by SKIPPER »

Can't see where that is a 'clear' handball. On the initial tackle both hands appear to be above and to the back of his head. Also the referee cannot have had a clear view (at similar angle to camera) and the lino didn't flag. Presumably sent off for his outburst. Never understood such dismissals as they are invariably
a spur of the moment thing and unlike leg-breaking tackles hurt no-one.Remember Tony Chilton being sent off at Northwich for disputing a throw-in. All he said to the lino was 'that was our f *cking throw'.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Don't know how true it is but I was told that a few years ago a player was sent off very early at Holker Old Boys.
The referee blew his whistle to start the game and was stood next to one of the players, who said "[email protected]@@ing hell ref, that was loud!
Sent off for foul and abusive language. :sentoff:

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Just watched the highlights and the commentator says "Rooney's reaction resulted in a straight red card"
Let's see what happens.

geobarrovian

Post by geobarrovian »

He does go berserk mind, it's not very often players get straight red cards for dissent but you could possibly understand why in this instance, the handball call is harsh I think.
Last edited by geobarrovian on Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wildwolf

Post by Wildwolf »

Our discipline last season was the second worst in the National League. We are not very much better this year so far, IE said at the season start he was going to try control himself better, after being sent to the stands. He seems to confront the fourth official quite a lot, alright I know some decisions are questionable, but I would hope he, and now captain Taylor would set the young players better examples of controlled behaviour.
No team in our league can afford to have players sat in the stands suspended for quite trivial uncontrolled offences. Passion is one thing, stupidity another. Do not interpret this post the wrong way, I am very pleased overall with the team, and IE's management.

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC »

Decision overturned. Rooney will be available for tomorrow night.

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

Hope the officials get the world tiddlywinks final as punishment and take one in the eye. Then at least they will have an excuse for being blinking hopeless!
Spoilt a good day out so they did! :sentoff:
Last edited by McMark on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

Mark Johnson
Silver Member

Post by Mark Johnson »

Glad the decision has been overturned, I’ll be at this game and at his best rooney is a joy to watch.

However, I think there should also be an official apology from the FA and a small compensation.after all, they employ their officials and that decision could have cost us 1 or 3 points.

saitek

Post by saitek »

Totally agree the ref changed the game on that decision shocking!!

olbarrafancumbak
Silver Member

Post by olbarrafancumbak »

Puts all the speculation to bed at least!

At least we have him available for tomorrow's game and can undo the bad result from the weekend... hopefully?

A fit barrow first 11 in my opinion is a match for anyone in this league and a poor decision has possibly cost us not just for the loss of points but also the potential knock in confidence after an unbelievable run of form.

Plus side from what I heard on radio and from what others have said, despite the sending off the remaining team members still battled tooth n nail! Refreshing to see at last we have a united team that wants to scrap for everything..

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Mark Johnson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:06 pm
Glad the decision has been overturned, I’ll be at this game and at his best rooney is a joy to watch.

However, I think there should also be an official apology from the FA and a small compensation.after all, they employ their officials and that decision could have cost us 1 or 3 points.
It's very good news but bad decisions happen every week in football matches so there's absolutely no chance of an apology or any compensation. If there was, the FA would be bankrupt! There's still plenty of bad decisions even when they are using VAR in matches!!
Last edited by russell_anderson on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

kikka

Post by kikka »

Great outcome . That should be a boost to everyone . Come on guys , let's get back to winning ways again now :skill:
First match : Barrow v Northampton Town : Sat. 24th Sept. 1960 ... won 1-0... ( which was nice )