Torquay v BARROW match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
kikka

Re: Torquay v BARROW match thread

Post by kikka »

There is still plenty of time left in this season - and recently we've seen what a difference a good run makes.

We need to put the Dover incident behind us. Whilst it definitely caused a loss of momentum, we now need to stop feeling that the world is against us.

We need to get back that belief and confidence that makes such a big difference - and avoid the 'it's not our fault it's the ref : it's the opposition wasting time : they dived ' blame mentality - which may be true enough but doesn't help us. It only leaves us feeling sorry for ourselves.

We have shown in the past we are good enough to overcome such tactics - if we 'get back on the horse' and commence moving forward once again - so come on guys ...players and supporters - let's get moving forward again ... and show everyone what we can do. :scarf:
First match : Barrow v Northampton Town : Sat. 24th Sept. 1960 ... won 1-0... ( which was nice )

Kieran
Gold Member

Post by Kieran »

When you have a set of officials (all of them) who perform like that, you do actually wonder whether they're on the take or something. Absolutely appalling peformance from all of them, particularly the linesman on the dugout side. Big decisions, little decisions they got them all wrong. Seriously shocking stuff.

We performed admirably in the circumstances and were the better side, even with ten men. Only thing I would say is that I have no idea what we came out doing at the start of the second half. We seemed to have a plan to keep our shape and try and hit them when we won the ball back, but we were literally strolling around for ten minutes and letting them get in behind us far too easily. That aside, we were excellent and never gave up. Completely robbed overall and the officials ruined what could've been a good game of football between two very decent sides.

Edit: I should've added, Brad Barry deserves a special mention. He really was excellent up and down that right hand side.
Last edited by Kieran on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bingo
Platinum Member

Post by Bingo »

Poor by the officials. Sometimes you can feel everything is going against you the Dover game and today but I think we are decent team and the run and big games will come again!

Thought Brad Barry was our man of the match.

We were still creating chances even at the end

78 or what ever is was is a decent effort

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach »

A happy bus home despite result, we were excellant and would of no doubt won with 11 men

andyg

Post by andyg »

On Torquay they are asking for man of the match nominations (up to 5) - I think three of those nominees should be the ref and two assistants from what's been said on here

TaylorBAFC

Post by TaylorBAFC »

Very few decent referees in this league. Rebecca Welch by far and above the best of the lot so far this season. Needs to teach today's referee a trick or two.

mr_grey
Veteran Member

Post by mr_grey »

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:56 pm
Very few decent referees in this league. Rebecca Welch by far and above the best of the lot so far this season. Needs to teach today's referee a trick or two.
100% agree

mr_grey
Veteran Member

Post by mr_grey »

andyg wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:42 pm
On Torquay they are asking for man of the match nominations (up to 5) - I think three of those nominees should be the ref and two assistants from what's been said on here
Torquay United FC (First Team) v Barrow AFC (First Team)
National League - Premier    
Referee: Hulme, Richard 
Assistant Referee: Ainscow, Joshua 
Assistant Referee: O'Shea, Declan 
Fourth Official: Staten, Thomas 

andyg

Post by andyg »

If Rooney's straight red was definitely wrong can we appeal it or does he get a 3 match automatic ban if we can't or don't appeal?

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

TaylorBAFC wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:56 pm
The referee when we played at Bromley was excellent.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

A lot of positives from today assuming the radio commentary was accurate. How long is it since we've had a team which has a fair share of the game even playing with 10 men? This team has ability and fight and was looking to comeback from 3-1 down and 4-2 down even with 10 men. Today was a good effort against the odds with decent opposition. Sadly, from my experiences of away matches, some of the referees in this league are "homers" and if you get one of those it's very difficult to get a decent result.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

andyg wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm
If Rooney's straight red was definitely wrong can we appeal it or does he get a 3 match automatic ban if we can't or don't appeal?
If this from the Torquay fans forum is correct I don't think Barrow will be appealing:

I dont think he was sent off for the alleged handball. He was sent off after he told the referee he was a "[email protected]" at the top of his voice looking straight at him. The ref only seemed to reach for a card after that.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

barrowfan wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:01 pm
andyg wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm
If this from the Torquay fans forum is correct I don't think Barrow will be appealing:

I dont think he was sent off for the alleged handball. He was sent off after he told the referee he was a "[email protected]" at the top of his voice looking straight at him. The ref only seemed to reach for a card after that.

Evatt said in post-match interview that he would definitely be appealing. Even if the Torquay comment is true, can one get a straight red for dissent/foul language?
Last edited by Jim on Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geobarrovian

Post by geobarrovian »

That sounds like a load of [SwearFilter] to be fair.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Jim wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:03 pm
barrowfan wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Evatt said in post-match interview that he would definitely be appealing. Even if the Torquay comment is true, can one get a straight red for dissent/foul language?
According to FA rules:

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

So possible that him screaming at the ref that he was a [email protected] was the reason for the red card, rather than the 'handball' incident itself.