Barrow vs Chorley match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Moribund
Gold Member

Re: Barrow vs Chorley match thread

Post by Moribund »

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm
Slow start, showed good character to get back on level terms....absolutely ridiculous that they didn’t go down to 10 men. Mystifying.

A point after an iffy performance will do me tbh.
He booked Smith for bringing down a man with a trip - but when he made EXACTLY the same foul again a bit later on, it wasn't a yellow! Bizarre.

Carver too should have received a second yellow on two or three occasions.

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

Concentration and composure was lacking at vital times last night. And sometimes the harder you try the worse it gets! Players have been at the top of their games of late and it’s demanding stuff out there.
Not overly concerned as we are still creating the opportunities, I’m sure IE his coaches and the players will put right for Saturday.
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

mulholland

Post by mulholland »

Big E wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 pm
Chorley set up to make it hard, took their chances and coupled with us having one of those days, probably a draw about fair result. Smith should have walked, ref bottled it. Looked a hand ball 2nd half, but was a frame out of capturing it.. some pics here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianally/a ... 1954292012
Great Pics E of the ball nestling in the top corner and the other one of the keeper flapping at it...got to be up there for snaps-of-the-season. Get them on the Crossbar-wall.
Re: the ref. He was far too fussy, he never once let a quick free-kick be taken and where he got the consulting the captain rule from only he knows. Surely there was an
assessor there who picks up on these things and can state in the post-match review that he needs to be allocated more North-West-Counties (no disrespect to the players at that level intended) and even more in the leagues below that...Joe Gardner he's not!

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

We started slowly against Barnet on Saturday but they seemed a bit wary of us whereas Chorley came flying at us from the off. Credit to them they looked a good outfit despite their league position; however Barrow did shade it in what was another good (if not perfect) performance.

Really enjoying watching this team but l hope we can be a bit more purposeful from the start in future.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Sonofsam

Post by Sonofsam »

Same here WG hope chorley turn it around and take points off the other top teams my only gripe from last night and on saturday is the total lack of interest shown by harrison when he comes on get rid im afraid

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

I thought they were two poor goals to give away, can’t imagine IE will be happy with them.
I think we dipped below the standards we’ve set of late & the passing was very poor, not helped by the idiot running the game. As others have said, how their number 15 (?) wasn’t sent off said, is baffling, only the ref and liner can know how that came about!

We managed to get away with that one but against a better team I think we’d have struggled to pull two back....bit of a kick up the arse for us hopefully.

Great to see the attendances rising, keep the run going and we could be pushing 2500 against Aldershot.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Steeley
Platinum Member

Post by Steeley »

Soft goals to give away, although probably a fair result. Extended the lead at the top so all's well.

Ref was garbage.
Bish=God

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Sonofsam wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am
Same here WG hope chorley turn it around and take points off the other top teams my only gripe from last night and on saturday is the total lack of interest shown by harrison when he comes on get rid im afraid
I thought Harrison was terrific in his first spell at the club but, from what I've seen of him in the away matches I've been to I would say he's just about finished as a professional footballer. I don't know if it's the injury he got at Barrow in his first spell or whether it's just down to age but he can no longer run and I don't think he's scored a goal for a very long time. This merely confirms what the Barnet fans said about him on their forum and, in fact, what one of their fans told my son about his spell with them. I've only seen him and Hindle coming on as subs in the matches I've seen but Hindle looks much more of a threat than Harrison.
Last edited by russell_anderson on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

mulholland wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 am
Big E wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 pm
Chorley set up to make it hard, took their chances and coupled with us having one of those days, probably a draw about fair result. Smith should have walked, ref bottled it. Looked a hand ball 2nd half, but was a frame out of capturing it.. some pics here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ianally/a ... 1954292012
Great Pics E of the ball nestling in the top corner and the other one of the keeper flapping at it...got to be up there for snaps-of-the-season. Get them on the Crossbar-wall.
Re: the ref. He was far too fussy, he never once let a quick free-kick be taken and where he got the consulting the captain rule from only he knows. Surely there was an
assessor there who picks up on these things and can state in the post-match review that he needs to be allocated more North-West-Counties (no disrespect to the players at that level intended) and even more in the leagues below that...Joe Gardner he's not!
Joe Gardner! That's going back about 50 to 60 years!!

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Agreed on Harrison; I was delighted as anyone he was coming back but he just isn’t the same player......and probably on a decent wage. If Quigley or Angus were out for any length of time we would probably require a loan striker anyway tbh rather than Hindle or Harrison filling the void

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

Strange game last night; perhaps a combination of a bit of complacency from us and a performance from them, which belies their place in the table, contributed to the shocking first quarter.

I can accept genuine mistakes from referees but I don't like cowardice and this one blatantly bottled out of the decision to award what was a very clear second yellow card. Maybe he should become a politician?

The final quarter was a bit flat; having clawed back the two-goal deficit, and with the momentum, I would have expected us to lay siege on their goal in the later stages but instead it fizzled out. A bit of fatigue maybe? But Hardcastle and Kay were running their socks off as usual. Still, these "setbacks" are bound to happen. As another poster has mentioned, it could be shaping up to us versus Solihull in the bigger picture.

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

John_Bucks wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:06 pm
Not been for a while. This is very much my fault. Sorry everyone...
Don't be too hard on yourself, that was my first since the 0-3 defeat to Harrogate. :) I had my sights set on the Bromley game in January next but fear I'll jinx it.
Agree with most points here: Chorley far better than their position; slow to get out of the blocks; good recovery and expected us to kick on but they worked hard to frustrate us; poor, inconsistent ref; Harrison just not got the control he used to have; fantastic crowd; point clear with game in hand. Anyone would have taken that at the beginning of the season.
It all comes 'round again.

Mr Zebedee

Post by Mr Zebedee »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am
Agreed on Harrison; I was delighted as anyone he was coming back but he just isn’t the same player......and probably on a decent wage. If Quigley or Angus were out for any length of time we would probably require a loan striker anyway tbh rather than Hindle or Harrison filling the void
Hope I'm proved wrong but I suspect that injury Harrison sustained in the 2016-17 season may have caused permanent damage

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Mr Zebedee wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am
HenneysKnee wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:04 am
Hope I'm proved wrong but I suspect that injury Harrison sustained in the 2016-17 season may have caused permanent damage
He doesn't seem to have contributed much so far. I thought it was odd to bring him on for Angus last night, perhaps IE thought Chorley had got Angus's pace and movement sussed. I could imagine him being brought on for his hold up play and ability to lay the ball off for others, but not as a striker. I wouldn't write off Hindle, I always feel he is one of those players who might produce a goal out of nothing.

CH BAFC

Post by CH BAFC »

Think the last time Harrison scored was in a pre season friendly, he's great as a player that stands off others due to his height but hes not the striker he once was... can see us replacing him in January unfortunately.