BARROW V Aldershot

A forum for previous match threads.
Jim
Platinum Member

Re: BARROW V Aldershot

Post by Jim »

Highlights? Don't know if I blinked at the wrong moment, but didn't Shots have a great chance when Walker tried to dribble round Dixon and he made a great save?

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner »

Big E wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:23 pm
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJSgF4D

Photos
Plenty of cuddling by the 'shots players
Propriety in public life is a dwindling resource. We have outsourced reason. We deserve it”

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

Thank you very much, Shot by Both Sides, that was an excellent read. I think the following words from your piece do you the utmost credit and sum up the way things should be in a nutshell.

"When we put our hats and scarves down and the beer levels have waned, then, as a true football fan, I like to think that unity in our love for the grass-roots game tempers rivalries however fierce."

As a kid in the early 1960's I remember having a fascination for what seemed like strange names from the world of football. The name "Sheffield Wednesday" was a classic example. But I also remember this weird and wonderful word "Aldershot" appearing on billboards around the town, telling us who Barrow were playing next at Holker Street. I was incredibly curious as to what it was and where it came from! Another early memory from about 1964 was when I was watching the classifieds scrolling down on a grainy black-and-white TV and feeling bewildered when Len Martin started Division 4 with "Aldershot 8 Barrow 2". I think at the time I didn't believe it ever happened that teams scored more than 5 at the most in one match. How could Barrow have let in 8?

Comprehensive and engaging though your write-up undoubtedly is, let me add a couple of bits of trivia, should you ever spend another weekend in this area:

Firstly, you mentioned the Stan Laurel pub but you may be interested to know that Stan was born in a house in the very centre of Ulverston. That house, on Argyle Street, still stands to this day and there is a plaque outside to state that he was born there.

Secondly, it seems that you didn't venture over to Walney Island which is just a couple of miles from the town centre. This is an exquisite part of the world with many stretches of beach, the best of which is Earnse Bay at the north end of the island. If you get back up this way – and Aldershot happen to face us in a match in August – then Earnse Bay is a beach to rival anything you could ever hope for (as long as it's warm and the sun is shining!)

As others have said, best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope the Shots pull away from the drop zone.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Just had a run out to Earnse Bay this afternoon and there were three windsurfers braving the elements. Rather them than me - if I was cold in the Stand yesterday what would that be like? :lol:

blue nige
Gold Member

Post by blue nige »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:13 pm
SayitagainSam wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Not Lake Windermere. From Wikipedia. The Ulverston Canal is claimed to be the deepest, widest and straightest canal in the UK. (or it was at the time it was built)
The dimension claims have been superseded as the Manchester Ship Canal was built to take 65.5 wide ships, and is around around 28 feet deep.
Didn't want to get into this But (as I originate from Ulverston ) the original claim was the deepest, widest &shortest canal !

Paul

Post by Paul »

SayitagainSam wrote:
barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Agreed - very comprehensive and it obviously took some time to compile.

Just a couple of small points from a great write-up pointed out in a spirit of friendliness. I think your reference to Ulverston Canal being the the longest, widest and deepest should be attributed to Windermere Lake. Also Heron Glass closed in 2006.

Wish the Shots well for the rest of the season, and hope you stay in the league. You gave us a close game.
Not Lake Windermere. From Wikipedia. The Ulverston Canal is claimed to be the deepest, widest and straightest canal in the UK. (or it was at the time it was built)

If we want to be factually correct ;) Lake Windemere is not a lake - it's just Windemere, a common mistake made by many. Ths actual only officially named "lake" in the "Lake District" is Bassenthwaite Lake - all the others are tarns, waters, meres etc etc.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Paul wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm
SayitagainSam wrote:

If we want to be factually correct ;) Lake Windemere is not a lake - it's just Windemere, a common mistake made by many. Ths actual only officially named "lake" in the "Lake District" is Bassenthwaite Lake - all the others are tarns, waters, meres etc etc.
Correct Paul. Very confusing for visitors as Windermere is also the name of the town! :)

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:50 pm
Paul wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Correct Paul. Very confusing for visitors as Windermere is also the name of the town! :)
Aye especially if your staying at lakeside!
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

McMark wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 pm
barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:50 pm

Especially as Lakeside isn’t a town! :roll:

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:23 pm
McMark wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Exactly, it’s irrelevant!
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

McMark wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 pm
barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Exactly, it’s irrelevant!
I don't think the people who live and work there would agree! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by barrowfan on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

Big E wrote:

Photos
Stunning pics. Would love to nick a couple to add to my feature but never would without permish.

Aldershot Town are an embarrassment when it comes to match reports and photos in particular - these days they don't include any!

I found this as an example from three years ago when Bluebirds beat us by the same 1-0 score.
Jordan Williams raced down the left and swung over a deep cross which wasn’t cleared and Liam Hughes fired a fierce drive from the tightest of angles into the roof of the net.

Decent enough quality, no? So now, we have a media manager but all we get is a few lines and no images!
Last edited by Shot By Both Sides on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

pjdaly wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:37 pm
Thank you very much, Shot by Both Sides, that was an excellent read. I think the following words from your piece do you the utmost credit and sum up the way things should be in a nutshell.

"When we put our hats and scarves down and the beer levels have waned, then, as a true football fan, I like to think that unity in our love for the grass-roots game tempers rivalries however fierce."

As a kid in the early 1960's I remember having a fascination for what seemed like strange names from the world of football. The name "Sheffield Wednesday" was a classic example. But I also remember this weird and wonderful word "Aldershot" appearing on billboards around the town, telling us who Barrow were playing next at Holker Street. I was incredibly curious as to what it was and where it came from! Another early memory from about 1964 was when I was watching the classifieds scrolling down on a grainy black-and-white TV and feeling bewildered when Len Martin started Division 4 with "Aldershot 8 Barrow 2". I think at the time I didn't believe it ever happened that teams scored more than 5 at the most in one match. How could Barrow have let in 8?

Comprehensive and engaging though your write-up undoubtedly is, let me add a couple of bits of trivia, should you ever spend another weekend in this area:

Firstly, you mentioned the Stan Laurel pub but you may be interested to know that Stan was born in a house in the very centre of Ulverston. That house, on Argyle Street, still stands to this day and there is a plaque outside to state that he was born there.

Secondly, it seems that you didn't venture over to Walney Island which is just a couple of miles from the town centre. This is an exquisite part of the world with many stretches of beach, the best of which is Earnse Bay at the north end of the island. If you get back up this way – and Aldershot happen to face us in a match in August – then Earnse Bay is a beach to rival anything you could ever hope for (as long as it's warm and the sun is shining!)

As others have said, best of luck for the rest of the season and I hope the Shots pull away from the drop zone.
Thank you kindly, for all your responses and I thought I could use this one post to cover the questions and critique on things like Lakeside and Windermere!

When I make a feature, much of it is copy and paste from a variety of articles, which can include mistakes (how unreliable is Wikipedia for example!).

So that would be my escape caveat, if you like, though It's not good being wrong! But none of us would have enough time I suspect to check absolutely every detail

ULVERSTON

I did not write this into my piece since the visit but for any of you who have visited towns in Wiltshire and Somerset, soon as I walked into Ulverston it was like I was in Marlborough, though Ulverston is more the size of Frome.

As I sat by the window in The Sun Inn (with a pint of That One), my friend (Preston Shot as he lives in Preston), his daughter walked past. They said they wanted to walk up to the Stan Laurel statue and have her photo taken. I noticed her tweet come up on my timeline with the pic so I smartly added the caption in reply: "That's another fine mess Dad's got you into"

Okay so I love feature writing and it is my outlet but don't claim to be any good at it, I just enjoy it and try to make it entertaining. Most of the narrative is my own thoughts and feelings aside the factual (occasionally incorrect) copied stuff.

Lastly I would like to thank everyone for being made welcome here. It's not really the done thing to join a rival message board but I am on the Dagenham and Torquay forums and accepted there.

This began when in early season we were at home to Barrow and I met arvo as we are on the same music forum and arranged to meet up before the game which Barrow duly won 2-1.

At that time, I said to him at Aldershot station afterwards, this: "You've got a tidy team there and Barrow could go places in this league"

Look what's happened!

Then, when I read some reactions from the first post "On The Road Again: Barrow AFC" on Calling The Shots, that we are a shitty club and had such a bad reputation, I took it as fair press because we all have different experiences and opinion but actually you want your club to have a positive reputation so I could only react by putting my side across which I wove into "The Cumbrian Weekender" in an attempt to say, well, I'm a decent guy and a proper football fan as opposed to some hooligan (sweet or tender).

In one of my favourite movies, Twin Town, there is a line:

"Dylan Thomas called Swansea an ugly, lovely town".

I'd call Aldershot an ugly, ugly town!

But if I lived in Barrow I get the feeling I could be proud of it. Also the beautiful towns and countryside. That's all for now as Trance Europe Express will be starting soon!
Last edited by Shot By Both Sides on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big E
Veteran Member

Post by Big E »

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:02 pm
Big E wrote:

Photos
Stunning pics. Would love to nick a couple to add to my feature but never would without permish.

Aldershot Town are an embarrassment when it comes to match reports and photos in particular - these days they don't include any!

I found this as an example from three years ago when Bluebirds beat us by the same 1-0 score.
Jordan Williams raced down the left and swung over a deep cross which wasn’t cleared and Liam Hughes fired a fierce drive from the tightest of angles into the roof of the net.

Decent enough quality, no? So now, we have a media manager but all we get is a few lines and no images!
No problem at all, cheers

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Okay so I love feature writing and it is my outlet but don't claim to be any good at it, I just enjoy it and try to make it entertaining. Most of the narrative is my own thoughts and feelings aside the factual (occasionally incorrect) copied stuff.

I think you are selling yourself short as you are very good at feature writing and it certainly makes a very pleasant change to some of the abuse and vitriol we have had in the past.

I apologise for being too critical- it certainly wasn’t my intention to nitpick what was - and is - such a fine critique of your time in this part of the world. I realise the shortcomings of Wikipedia and it was a well intentioned attempt to bring the facts up to date, rather than criticise your fine work.

It’s the first time I’ve seen any visiting supporter put so much effort into documenting their journey to the longest cul-de-sac in the world! 😀

Thanks once again and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with success for the Shots in 2020. 😀