https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07sl9zb
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

Shot By Both Sides

Re: BARROW V Aldershot

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

barrowfan wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 pm
Okay so I love feature writing and it is my outlet but don't claim to be any good at it, I just enjoy it and try to make it entertaining. Most of the narrative is my own thoughts and feelings aside the factual (occasionally incorrect) copied stuff.

I think you are selling yourself short as you are very good at feature writing and it certainly makes a very pleasant change to some of the abuse and vitriol we have had in the past.

I apologise for being too critical- it certainly wasn’t my intention to nitpick what was - and is - such a fine critique of your time in this part of the world. I realise the shortcomings of Wikipedia and it was a well intentioned attempt to bring the facts up to date, rather than criticise your fine work.

It’s the first time I’ve seen any visiting supporter put so much effort into documenting their journey to the longest cul-de-sac in the world! 😀

Thanks once again and I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with success for the Shots in 2020. 😀
Likewise, Sir!

Critique is everything though, for me, mistakes are fine if only we can learn from them?

I think this blogging lark is fun and a way of writing a pictroial diary. Games and their content can be looked back on in years to come. I don't think there are that many bloggers of clubs in the National League? I'd highly recommend it. I pay a yearly subscription on WordPress but there are free ones out there.

And you see the header on Calling The Shots website? The video and graphics I made all that myelf and quite proud of it. I imagine a Barrow one might have soaring bluebirds ingrained in the match action or something! Anyway working with graphics and computer stuff is what I do,

Well at least we don't have to play you again for a while, assuming you go on to get promotion. Let's say you were playing at Swindon or Crawley and it was a day we weren't playing, I'd go along and give Barrow my support. And if this were Four In A Bed and the question was "would you vstay here again?" the answer would be a resounding YES.

Next time, like that other chap saod, I should go to Walney and that island of much (a) Piel.

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Let's say you were playing at Swindon or Crawley and it was a day we weren't playing, I'd go along and give Barrow my support.
Might have to hold you to that one, Oliver. Still a big "if" though, still a long way to go.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Shaun
Gold Member

Post by Shaun »

mr_grey wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:27 pm
Well what's everyone's thoughts on Joe Johnson?
Was pretty happy with that win over Davis in 86 (?)
"Walter, I'm sure there's a reason you brought your dirty undies..."

Shot By Both Sides

Arvo wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm
Let's say you were playing at Swindon or Crawley and it was a day we weren't playing, I'd go along and give Barrow my support.
Might have to hold you to that one, Oliver. Still a big "if" though, still a long way to go.
Have Barrow been to Crabble Stadium this season yet? That really could mean "Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover"... :sentoff:

chipmunx
Bronze Member

Post by chipmunx »

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 am
Arvo wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:32 pm

Have Barrow been to Crabble Stadium this season yet? That really could mean "Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover"... :sentoff:
not yet - they are the only team(?) that we have not played at all yet this season
Bring it on!!!

Paulmichael

Post by Paulmichael »

chipmunx wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:12 am
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:16 am

not yet - they are the only team(?) that we have not played at all yet this season
Fylde?

chipmunx
Bronze Member

Post by chipmunx »

Paulmichael wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:29 am
chipmunx wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:12 am

Fylde?
yep - i had a feeling there was another one - but couldn't think who it was...
Bring it on!!!

Sefton Aubergine

Post by Sefton Aubergine »

Can I also add a comment or two to Mr Shot By Both Sides thoroughly enjoyable blog...

Not only has your blog brought out the best in football/social commentary, it has also sparked a familiarity in my own connection to Barrow AFC and the Furness peninsula.

I first came to the area in 1995 with an ex girlfriend to visit her parents who lived in Raleigh Street and her father and myself went to a game on my first visit, against Buxton I think. I remember drinking in the Crossbar when somebody was sure he'd heard Mike Marsh had signed and quite a few folk laughing or dismissing him. I learned quickly not to mention that I lived near and played a few games for Leek! I then moved to London for a few years but still made the journey when possible. I moved back to Staffordshire in 1999 and I've been visiting the area pretty often ever since taking in football and rugby matches. I try to plan my visits to coincide with two home games or when the rugby and football both have home games.

For me a visit to the area almost always involves a visit to South Walney Nature Reserve and/or Roanhead, a day/night out in Ulverston and a drink in the Ambrose and Raiders Bar if open.

The town has a really interesting industrial history and a scenic backdrop second to none but the thing that makes me bother to visit the area so often is the warmth and friendliness of the people, quite a few of whom I'm happy to call friends. Unfortunately the Mrs has quite a few years left to work otherwise I'd be looking to spend my retirement there for certain.

Thanks again for your blog although I do hope you don't have reason to visit again football wise for at least one season but only because Barrow are not in this league and not bad news for yourselves.

Shot By Both Sides

Sefton Aubergine wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am
Not only has your blog brought out the best in football/social commentary, it has also sparked a familiarity in my own connection to Barrow AFC and the Furness peninsula.
Great to know. :)

I'm interested in English dialetc also and so on the journey back when two young ladies boarded at Dalton sitting on the table opposite and joined by another two friends at Ulverston, when one used the word "school" and pronounced it "skew-ell" it reminded me of as south of Runcorn so perhaps while there are differences regionally, would you think that Barrow people have quite a different accent to those in north Cumbria, say, Carlisle?
Last edited by Shot By Both Sides on Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch »

Next time, like that other chap saod, I should go to Walney and that island of much (a) Piel.
There’s a guided walk which sets off from Walney, across the sands to Piel. Well worth doing.

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 am
Sefton Aubergine wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:14 am

I'm interested in English dialetc also and so on the journey back when two young ladies boarded at Dalton sitting on the table opposite and joined by another two friends at Ulverston, when one used the word "school" and pronounced it "skew-ell" it reminded me of as south of Runcorn so perhaps while there are differences regionally, would you think that Barrow people have quite a different accent to those in north Cumbria, say, Carlisle?
The accent is quite a bit different. In fact, Barrow was always in Lancashire until we were dragged kicking and screaming into the new county of Cumbria and you will find that most Barrowians still consider themselves to be Lancastrians. Barrow still has an LA postcode.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

I guess someone must have done a 'social history' study of where the original inhabitants of Barrow came from. I believe it was just a tiny village until industrialisation in the mid 1800s. My maternal grandparents came from the Manchester area and my paternal ones from Glasgow. I notice quite a few similarities between the Teesside accent and the Barrow one. Both places probably grew up as iron working and engineering towns at around the same time, perhaps the 'immigrants' came from similar locations?

Shot By Both Sides

russell_anderson wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:58 am
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:36 am

The accent is quite a bit different. In fact, Barrow was always in Lancashire until we were dragged kicking and screaming into the new county of Cumbria and you will find that most Barrowians still consider themselves to be Lancastrians. Barrow still has an LA postcode.
Indeed it does and that's what was most interesting. The accent sounds Lancastrian and not really Cumbrian, at least to my ears.

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End »

Jim wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 am
I guess someone must have done a 'social history' study of where the original inhabitants of Barrow came from. I believe it was just a tiny village until industrialisation in the mid 1800s.
You're right, Jim. Barrow didn't exist as we know it until the 1840s or later with the discovery of iron ore deposits in the area. When the Furness Railway was first built its "main line" was from the quarries at Kirkby to the port of Piel; the branch to Barrow (Rabbit Hill, near where St. George's Church stands, although the church itself wasn't completed until 1883) has the appearance of an afterthought, running to a small jetty on Barrow Channel - where Buccleuch Dock is now. To call Barrow a small village at the time is probably an exaggeration, it was more a small settlement around where the High Level Bridge is.

It wasn't until the first blast furnace was built in the late 1850s, a decade after the railway came, followed in the 1860s by the docks being planned along Barrow Channel, which was only navigable at high tide. From these humble starts, what we now know as Barrow developed rapidly into a large industrial settlement, with the ore mines, iron & steel works, and shipbuilding and engineering businesses contributing to the growth. The town was incorporated as a Municipal Borough in 1867.

This rapid expansion led to a large influx of workers, predominantly from rural or mining backgrounds. In my case, my ancestors hailed from Dalton (parish) and Aldingham, from Cleator Moor, and further afield from Ireland and Scotland. Although I consider myself to be Barrovian born and bred (as were my parents) there was no such thing as a Barrovian 180 years ago.