Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Re: BARROW V Aldershot

Post by Lancaster Branch »

Steelworks End wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm
Jim wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:47 am
I guess someone must have done a 'social history' study of where the original inhabitants of Barrow came from. I believe it was just a tiny village until industrialisation in the mid 1800s.

This rapid expansion led to a large influx of workers, predominantly from rural or mining backgrounds. In my case, my ancestors hailed from Dalton (parish) and Aldingham, from Cleator Moor, and further afield from Ireland and Scotland. Although I consider myself to be Barrovian born and bred (as were my parents) there was no such thing as a Barrovian 180 years ago.
I know a lad whose great (x?) grandad walked from Cornwall, where he was a tin miner, up to Barrow.

John_Bucks
Bluebirds Prediction League Champion 2017/18

Post by John_Bucks »

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:10 pm
Steelworks End wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm

This rapid expansion led to a large influx of workers, predominantly from rural or mining backgrounds. In my case, my ancestors hailed from Dalton (parish) and Aldingham, from Cleator Moor, and further afield from Ireland and Scotland. Although I consider myself to be Barrovian born and bred (as were my parents) there was no such thing as a Barrovian 180 years ago.
I know a lad whose great (x?) grandad walked from Cornwall, where he was a tin miner, up to Barrow.
My great great grandad Joseph Buckingham moved here from Bedfordshire, Luton I think, during the boom and opened a hat shop on Dalton Road. Now his surname adorns a step at the steelworks end 👍🏻
Life is always better when it's better

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

My maternal grandparents came from Belfast as my grandfather moved from working at Harland and Wolff shipyard to Vickers Armstrong. I don't know if that was because jobs were being lost at Harland and Wolff or whether he could earn more at Vickers. My paternal grandfather worked for the Admiralty at Portsmouth, then Newcastle and finally Barrow.

Electricblues
Veteran Member

Post by Electricblues »

According to mother my family originates from Cornwall, Isle of Man, Shetland Islands, Bucks, Beds, Ireland, North Lancs, Westmoreland and East Yorks, amongst other places. We are very much a mix in this town.

Holkerbird
Platinum Member

Post by Holkerbird »

John_Bucks wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:17 pm
Lancaster Branch wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:10 pm

My great great grandad Joseph Buckingham moved here from Bedfordshire, Luton I think, during the boom and opened a hat shop on Dalton Road. Now his surname adorns a step at the steelworks end 👍🏻
Indeed it does. When Ryan and me were the only maintenance volunvolunteers at that time and doing the best we could he made sure the Buckingham Place sign was painted for the start of the season. 😊
Two painting jobs he was given---the sign and my rattle. 😂

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

Aye we are all mongrels really!
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

John_Bucks
Bluebirds Prediction League Champion 2017/18

Post by John_Bucks »

Holkerbird wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:48 pm
John_Bucks wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:17 pm

Indeed it does. When Ryan and me were the only maintenance volunvolunteers at that time and doing the best we could he made sure the Buckingham Place sign was painted for the start of the season. 😊
Two painting jobs he was given---the sign and my rattle. 😂
Pride of place and my dear old Dad wouldn't stand anywhere else. You'll have heard him :lol: It's maintenance has been much appreciated over the years.

Not so long ago we had three generations standing on it.

A few years ago some Alty fans were stood there so I gently approached them;

'Look down... Is that your name?'
'No. Sorry mate.'

And they duly moved :scarf:
Life is always better when it's better

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

It wasn't shipbuilding or any other form of heavy engineering that was responsible for my great grandfather on my Dad's side moving here from the south coast, but Barrow AFC itself. He was a professional player for among others, West Brom, Man United and Plymouth Argyle, and after his playing career ended, became Barrow's trainer just before the First World War, a position he held until 1938.

My mother's side of the family originate from further up the coast in Cumberland. Lots of trips to Cleator Moor, Whitehaven and Carlisle to visit various great aunts and uncles when I was a kid.
Last edited by Arvo on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End »

Arvo wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:22 pm
My mother's side of the family originate from further up the coast in Cumberland. Lots of trips to Cleator Moor, Whitehaven and Carlisle to visit various great aunts and uncles when I was a kid.
With my paternal grandfather hailing from Cleator Moor, John, I wonder if he knew your mother's family? Something that perhaps we'll never know. (I also have ancestral links to Carlisle but not, as far as I know, to Whitehaven).

We are wandering a tad off topic, aren't we! ;)

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

Steelworks End wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:42 pm
With my paternal grandfather hailing from Cleator Moor, John, I wonder if he knew your mother's family? Something that perhaps we'll never know. (I also have ancestral links to Carlisle but not, as far as I know, to Whitehaven).

Chances are they probably did. Cleator Moor is only tiny after all (2011 census population of 6,936 according to Wikipedia). Also had relatives in Cleator. Now that was the very definition of bleak ("one house deep, eleven miles long, took four years to burn down when the chippie exploded" Mike Harding).

Yeah, way off the original subject now, but personally, I've never had a problem with off-topicality on threads on message boards. Just like real life conversations, let them take you where they take you. If it's a direction you don't like then you can check out any time you want, to quote the Eagles.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

Steelworks End wrote:
I think this happens on all forums!

Apropos shipbuilding there are some terrific songs of narrative.

Big River. Jimmy Nail reminisces, citing the 'coaly Tyne' but has a futuristic vibe in "together we'll rise again".

Shipyards. On the other side of town, the Wear, lovely ballad by Lake Poets.

Shipbuilding. I prefer Declan's cover but the Wyatt original is still sublime.

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

Shot By Both Sides wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:23 am
Steelworks End wrote:
I think this happens on all forums!

Apropos shipbuilding there are some terrific songs of narrative.

Big River. Jimmy Nail reminisces, citing the 'coaly Tyne' but has a futuristic vibe in "together we'll rise again".

Shipyards. On the other side of town, the Wear, lovely ballad by Lake Poets.

Shipbuilding. I prefer Declan's cover but the Wyatt original is still sublime.
Shipyard Town (Glasgow) - Gerry Rafferty
Steel River (Middlesbrough) - Chris Rea
It all comes 'round again.

Shot By Both Sides

Post by Shot By Both Sides »

Not music this time but poetry. Aldershot is referenced in the Betjeman poem "A Subaltern's Love Song. Does anyone know whether there are literary works that mention Barrow or nearby hamlets? I guess there must be a few.
Miss J. Hunter Dunn, Miss J. Hunter Dunn,
Furnish'd and burnish'd by Aldershot sun,
What strenuous singles we played after tea,
We in the tournament - you against me!

Cubbins Paratrooper
Veteran Member

Post by Cubbins Paratrooper »

Off the top of my head and depending upon your interpretation of literary works:
The Plague Dogs - Richard Adams (I think the rather wonderful Manor Arms in Broughton-in-Furness gets a mention in this too)
Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

You can only access Sodor, home of Thomas the Tank Engine, by crossing the Jubilee bridge in Barrow.
It all comes 'round again.