Barrow v Fylde match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
DaveBarter
Veteran Member

Re: Barrow v Fylde match thread

Post by DaveBarter »

Highlights show their scorer was goal side of our central defender, so that's a further officiating mistake. Also it looks like Kosylo has tapped Kay's ankle that causes him to fall over and take the cheat with him.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Wintergreen wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:52 am
Jim wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:55 am
Very weak refereeing IMO, and poor gamesmanship from the Fylde players.
Their Coach will congratulate them on that and encourage more of it as it clearly works. Sad really as they can play a bit.
Bentley is more Paul Cox than Ian Evatt tactically. Maybe is a bit puzzling because yes they can play football with the best of the rest. This is probably why Fylde wanted IE in the first place.

However feels to me like IE is a tad irritated with Josh Kay. Admittedly from the highlights only, both incidents displayed some petulance on Kays part and Fylde fully exploited that behavioural weakness. Our last two red cards have cost us 4 points - though the first one was a travesty by the ref. But it does show you that you cant always rely upon the officials to arbitrate rationally and if you exhibit recklessness in your manner or actions it will generally go against you.

The stakes have never really been higher for and the margins are very tight and will get tighter. If our goal is to actually win this division with such a smallish squad then you need to keep it on the field for as long and often as possible and trust that fate wont conspire against you. In that sense Josh fell short of the required standard and I suspect IE was less conciliatory to him personally than he would've been to Adam on RC.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 am
In that sense Josh fell short of the required standard and I suspect IE was less conciliatory to him personally than he would've been to Adam on RC.
Ironically, only a few days after the NWEM article in which he praised the way Kay has matured.

Nigel Bamford
Gold Member

Post by Nigel Bamford »

David881 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:24 pm
Nigel Bamford wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:25 pm
Kay red, second yellow. The first yellow for the sin of being pushed over
He’s bloody lucky it wasn’t a straight red. Would even be a foul on the rugby pitch, hauling an opposing player to the ground with the ball no where close. Deliberate foul to break up their break away.
Unfortunately, I could only go off the radio commentary. At the time Adam and Matt were bewildered by it.
It all comes 'round again.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

The Fylde goal from a Barrow perspective is poor. We've got to be putting in the challenges out wide. Stop the crosses, stop the goal threat.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

Jonty wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:55 pm
The Fylde goal from a Barrow perspective is poor. We've got to be putting in the challenges out wide. Stop the crosses, stop the goal threat.
You're correct of course but you've also got to mark and a Barrow defender (Hird, I think) just lets the goalscorer drift away from him without following him. I like the way Hird uses the ball but it is something I've noticed he does quite a lot in the matches I've been too unlike Platt who keeps very close when he's marking.

Baxterj732

Post by Baxterj732 »

I seem to recall a few lads who were stupid in line saying they were offside, however, Rose tinted spectacles and all that
Heaven is a place on earth, we prefer to call it Holker Street :scarf: popular side since 2002! :scarf:

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Jonty wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:55 pm
Yes I thought the goal a pretty poor defensive effort too. You can see the defensive line looks outnumbered on the highlights. Was a very good cross but failure to prevent it was the defining error. Was late in the game and we were down to ten so its difficult to be too critical. The penalty miss was probably more significant in the context of this particular game, If it had gone in Fylde probably would have had to change their game plan to one that was not so based on breaking our game down so much. Temperaments would've been different, probably more football played and that may have suited us better.

Felt to me that psychologically Fylde became more dominant during the game. I think this is one of our remaining weakness - the mindset of a few of our players can still be fragile. Its something that IE continually works on. That why I think he would've been disappointed with Kay.

The counter attacking goal coming so quickly after Kays dismissal was utterly brilliant and forced Fylde to start again. The way I see it we were five minutes from a victory that would've been truly exceptional in the circumstances and certainly against the odds.

Expect to see more of the other side of Fylde in the return. Jordan Williams back. There'll be more football played by both sides. The outcome will still be tight.

Wildwolf

Post by Wildwolf »

Jim wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:11 pm
Suffolk Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 am
In that sense Josh fell short of the required standard and I suspect IE was less conciliatory to him personally than he would've been to Adam on RC.
Ironically, only a few days after the NWEM article in which he praised the way Kay has matured.
Evatt also quoted in the evening mail that Josh Kay was a difficult player to manage, and that Josh had agreed yes he was. :skill: :scarf: