Barrow v Fylde match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
BoltonBlue

Re: Barrow v Fylde match thread

Post by BoltonBlue »

Very enjoyable day out, the game could have easily gone either way to be fair to Fylde they succeeded to frustrate.
Some great saves by the the leagues beat keeper.
Great turn out by the town, easily marketable product at present. 4k is achievable.
As mentioned above, if an additional link up Striker with Quigley was thrown into the mix we would be in the FL next season.

ChrisCrossy

Post by ChrisCrossy »

Good entertainment. We were on the balance of play the better team but AFC Fylde had the better chances. Referee and assistants were very poor. Good to see Holker Street rocking, felt like a cup game, and if you don’t come back for more after that you never will.

You felt that there would be a red card at some stage for either Kay or Barry with the way the AFC Fylde players were surrounding the referee after everyone of their challenges. Agree with comments about Dior Angus... just didn’t look at it today and definitely an area we need to upgrade if we are looking to be promoted.

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

We didn’t seem to create as many clear chances yesterday as we often do , and it was a good exciting game and a great atmosphere: when Quigley scored ( what a goal ! ) I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a roar at Holker St. The last 5/6 home games we have just scraped over the line or held on for a point. We need to start scoring more goals. Angus , I agee with others on here, isn’t really doing it for me. We have 10 home games left . Win them all and we win the league. But we need to start converting chances into goals. Superb performances yesterday from Dixon, White, Platt and Quigley. We really do have some great footballers . Up the Bluebirds!

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

Oh and much as I think Rooney is a top player, we need to change penalty taker - I think that’s 3 missed in the last 12 months or so

Moribund
Gold Member

Post by Moribund »

Rooney has buried loads of penalties this season!

Also, Angus has been much improved in recent games but because of the gap in fixtures that seems to have been forgotten. And his great work for the assist yesterday also seems to be forgotten.

It doesn't show in the stats, but we had three or four air shots on the line that we could have buried. All told we probably had as many chances as Fylde - at least up until the red card. Danny Rowe was also playing like he did in a Barrow shirt, looking like he'd rather be at home eating turkey sandwiches.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

blumooncrab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:46 am
Oh and much as I think Rooney is a top player, we need to change penalty taker - I think that’s 3 missed in the last 12 months or so
IMO there is only one way to take a good penalty, and that is to blast it high to the right or left of the keeper. Steve Gaughan used to do that and never missed. Even if the keeper guesses right or left correctly they are always going to dive low to right or left. Power plus height makes it very difficult to save.

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

blumooncrab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am
We didn’t seem to create as many clear chances yesterday as we often do , and it was a good exciting game and a great atmosphere: when Quigley scored ( what a goal ! ) I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a roar at Holker St. The last 5/6 home games we have just scraped over the line or held on for a point. We need to start scoring more goals. Angus , I agee with others on here, isn’t really doing it for me. We have 10 home games left . Win them all and we win the league. But we need to start converting chances into goals. Superb performances yesterday from Dixon, White, Platt and Quigley. We really do have some great footballers . Up the Bluebirds!
Never considered Angus as an out and out striker in the formations we play. He has a lot of pure pace which is a particular threat in wide positions. He needs time and space to run into. Against teams who are intent on coming to HS to frustrate he can be shut down reasonably effectively. He far more dangerous in away fixtures when the reins are a little less tight. But he's also a valuable source of assists, a foil for Quigley taking defenders away from the big guy and often allows Rooney to come into play coming in behind. When he does score at HS its usually because he's used his agility to find a position in the box. His pace gives him an advantage for the first couple of seconds. He needs to become smarter (and more accurate) in those first couple of seconds. There's some similarity here with Tyler Smith, who when he came to us was asked to play in a Quigley role despite being about a foot shorter. He was worked out and often shut down until he learned how to play off the shoulder of defenders and exploit his pace to steal a couple of yards and running onto a through pass rather than look skyward for balls being hoofed forward.

andyg

Post by andyg »

Suffolk Blue wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am
blumooncrab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am
Never considered Angus as an out and out striker in the formations we play. He has a lot of pure pace which is a particular threat in wide positions. He needs time and space to run into. Against teams who are intent on coming to HS to frustrate he can be shut down reasonably effectively. He far more dangerous in away fixtures when the reins are a little less tight. But he's also a valuable source of assists, a foil for Quigley taking defenders away from the big guy and often allows Rooney to come into play coming in behind. When he does score at HS its usually because he's used his agility to find a position in the box. His pace gives him an advantage for the first couple of seconds. He needs to become smarter (and more accurate) in those first couple of seconds. There's some similarity here with Tyler Smith, who when he came to us was asked to play in a Quigley role despite being about a foot shorter. He was worked out and often shut down until he learned how to play off the shoulder of defenders and exploit his pace to steal a couple of yards and running onto a through pass rather than look skyward for balls being hoofed forward.
Not sure I agree with winning all ten home games will win us the league. We still need to go to Hartlepool, Fylde. Harrogate, Solihull and, of course, Yoeovil on second to last Saturday of the season. Get points/wins at these places gives us a good chance. Just think if it goes down to the wire Yeovil away will be quite a match - think most of Barrow will be down there!

jaycarter

Post by jaycarter »

Joe26 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:21 pm
Second game I've been to this year and took 3 lads that had never been. We wont be back not because of the football which we enjoyed but the bar staff were extremely rude and even told one of our party to f##k off when he had asked a genuine question. If the club wants to keep floating or first timers it needs to make sure the experience is good.
[/quote
]I find that utterly bizarre you would not come again just because someone said "[SwearFilter] off" you would deny yourself coming again, I dont Believe you, looking for headlines I think. :sentoff:

russell_anderson
Silver Member

Post by russell_anderson »

We have scoed 5 more goals away from home than any other team in the league but 10 teams have scored more goals at home so scoring at home is obviously a problem. It makes the point very clearly that we are a counter-attacking team and can be stopped if our opponents keep a tight defence. I agree with those people who think we need another striker to add to Quigley and Angus. He needs to be an Andy Cook type of player who is good in the penalty area and can finish.

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

andyg wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:59 am
Suffolk Blue wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am

Not sure I agree with winning all ten home games will win us the league. We still need to go to Hartlepool, Fylde. Harrogate, Solihull and, of course, Yoeovil on second to last Saturday of the season. Get points/wins at these places gives us a good chance. Just think if it goes down to the wire Yeovil away will be quite a match - think most of Barrow will be down there!
I’m confident we’ll get points away from home - it’s home games where we seem to struggle a bit / so if we can win the home games .......

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

russell_anderson wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:09 am
We have scoed 5 more goals away from home than any other team in the league but 10 teams have scored more goals at home so scoring at home is obviously a problem. It makes the point very clearly that we are a counter-attacking team and can be stopped if our opponents keep a tight defence. I agree with those people who think we need another striker to add to Quigley and Angus. He needs to be an Andy Cook type of player who is good in the penalty area and can finish.
Agree with you on the striker. The guy we need is someone who would blast a hole through defences and would be useful primarily at home. That's not really Hindle and certainly not Byron Harrison. We are less effective at home because there is a "blueprint" out there of how to take us on at HS. Its not because we play more poorly. When you take your game to 23 different grounds its much more difficult to counter against with a standard defensive model.

Unless you watch a mixture of home and away performances its difficult to appreciate just how good we are away. Notts County was the best away performance that I suspect any of those there have seen in many a year. I would also say that we are counter-punching rather that just counter attacking. We carry far more of a threat than a team who simply absorbs pressure and then breaks. We can do it naturally as well as responsively. That scares the living cr*p out of any defence as it can happen spontaneously and you cant prepare for it.

The Buzzard

Post by The Buzzard »

With regard to the Kay sending off I was sat front row just above Fylde's dugout so had a great view of both "yellow cards" the first in my opinion wasn't a yellow a good referee would have considered a strong word enough, however the actions of the Fylde player Bradley is a different matter he moved towards Kay full of intent,raised his hands and knocked Kay to the ground which I believe should have been a red card, as for the second yellow I again agree with Ian Evatt, Kay was fouled first the free kick should have been awarded to Barrow, I have seen some poor refs in this league but Ben Speedie takes the top prize by a country mile totally out of his depth at this level an absolute disgrace I think he would struggle to control an under 15s youth game & that's probably the level he needs to return to, don't really understand the comments about leaving Kay out of the return fixture, & although everyone is entitled to their opinion they obviously are from someone who knows very little about the game of football

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

blumooncrab wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:31 am

I’m confident we’ll get points away from home -
That's probably set us up to lose at Hartlepool tomorrow ;)

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

The Buzzard wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:31 pm
don't really understand the comments about leaving Kay out of the return fixture, & although everyone is entitled to their opinion they obviously are from someone who knows very little about the game of football
Aye, that was me. :oops: It's a decision for Evatt on his character - can he be cool, calm and use his frustration to play even better, or will he be too wound up and a potential weakness?