barrow v ebbsfleet match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
liverpoolann

Re: barrow v ebbsfleet match thread

Post by liverpoolann »

Remember the pain of the 0-6 defeat at home to Gainsborough so feel for the gravesend fans having come all that way.I thought it was a good game for us everyone on a high and quite unreal as goal tally increased.Liked the fact we were ruthless not just seeing game out.Onward to Bromley.Forecast Tuesday not good rain and wind warnings
and will be interesting to see what team put out.Was told if win next game far home Saturday to fc United who would bring a few I would think so more much needed income.

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

Scott wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:31 pm
Was against Hucknall Town first day of 2001/02 season we played them off the park and won 6-1. Ricketts scored for them and someone in the crowd shouted that’s a disease...

Was a really poor thuggish tackle on Bullimore that broke his leg and sadly he was never quite the same after that.
Thank you, Scott. I remembered it was Hucknall when I was out doing the shopping this afternoon. East Midlands Counties League now apparently. Gosh, how the mighty are fallen! :)
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Jim
Platinum Member

Post by Jim »

Don’t forget 7-0 v Gillingham in a match called off for bad light after 75 minutes 😉

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

Arvo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am
Lancaster Branch wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:38 am
Wayne Bullimore wasn’t in that team John, he came along in the Kenny Lowe era.

(Or was that you riffing on the ‘poor memory’ theme....)
Wasn't he? No, not riffing on poor memory, a genuine 'senior moment'. What was the match where we absolutely hammered someone very early in a season, Bullimore was pretty much the architect of that hammering and he was really spitefully and deliberately crocked by one of the opposition players?
I’m certain that 7-0 was against (originally I thought S Liverpool) Knowsley and it was Mark Dobie’s first game for us....I had high expectations after that - never really happened though.
Back to yesterday’s game, I never thought this team really had a big score in them over one game, I was just happy with just the wins. Great to see them look like (and) scoring attack after attack.
Barry is fast becoming a genuine POTS contender, but then so are most of them!
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

Mr Zebedee

Post by Mr Zebedee »

Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm
Don’t forget 7-0 v Gillingham in a match called off for bad light after 75 minutes 😉
At least they made the effort to turn up, having been massively delayed on their journey up to Barrow

Unlike their neighbours at Dover

Steelworks End
Platinum Member

Post by Steelworks End »

Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm
I remember going past the ground with my Mam that evening and wondering why the training lights were on; there were no floodlights back then, of course. It was just an attempt to keep the game going as long as possible, but really they only illuminated the area in front of the stand, and not very brightly at that. Despite the match being abandoned with 15 mins still remaining, the Football League subsequently decided that the result would stand rather than ordering the game to be replayed

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Could have been more if the ref hadn't wanted to get home! ;)

Adam29
Platinum Member

Post by Adam29 »

If people want to enjoy the commentary of the goals again you can:

https://soundcloud.com/adam-johnson-898 ... -ebbsfleet

Si_Nichols
Veteran Member

Post by Si_Nichols »

pjdaly wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:20 pm
If we're talking 7-0 wins, off the top of my head I seemed to recall we beat Great Harwood by that margin back in the day. I reckoned maybe 1975, but a look at the record books confirms it was in fact on October 25th 1977. My mind was telling me "Ian Gill" and sure enough he scored 2 of our goals. But, just like yesterday, somebody went one better and it was Rob Thomas with a hat-trick, The other scorers were Brian McManus and Alan Cook, The attendance was 504.

That 1977-78 season was the first time we emerged from the gutter since falling out of the League in 1972. We actually managed to finish a respectable 13th in the Northern Premier League after previous finishes of 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, 23rd and 21st in the preceding five seasons. The next season we declined a little bit and finished 16th but it was still enough to get us into the inaugural National League (Alliance Premier) which started up in August 1979. The team that beat Great Harwood 7-0 was as follows:

Kevin Thomas, Steve Lyle, Mark Wynn, Dave Large, Mike Foster, Brian McManus, Alan Cook, Paul Wilson, Rob Thomas, Tommy Graham, Ian Gill, with Phil Swarbrick as substitute.

It was less than two months after that match that we signed another striker, somebody called Colin (forget the surname) from Netherfield. Did we really need to waste money on another striker when we can knock in seven?
That would have been one of my early games as a nipper. Bizarrely I remembered this one wrongly as South Liverpool - did we give them a battering at some point in late 70s?