barrow v ebbsfleet match thread

A forum for previous match threads.
Si_Nichols
Veteran Member

Re: barrow v ebbsfleet match thread

Post by Si_Nichols »

Awesome display today. I have to admit I felt for the Ebbsfleet fans as we have been in that position all too often - I remember witnessing 7 goal defeats in consecutive seasons at Mansfield, a couple of thrashings at Luton and a spanking at Rushden among many other dark days.

It is however suffering the pain of those days that makes days like today all the more special. Enjoy the ride, let's see where it takes us, dream and believe.

BoltonBlue

Post by BoltonBlue »

mrsenario wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm
Alley_Cat wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:07 pm
From memory i think the least time we won 7-0 was at home to Knowsley on the first game of the season, i think that was in 94. Any stattos out there?
Remember this game for the crowd singing we were in blue and white stripes and they in yellow and black and we sang Tesco 7 netto nil
Correct, first game of the 93/94 season
‘Tesco 7 Netto 0, get your arse back ok that till’ 😁
Wasn’t ‘steady’ Eddie Johnston in that Knowsley side at the time?

Sonofsam

Post by Sonofsam »

Hardcastle was class yesterday he is one helluva player

Jameston1
Veteran Member

Post by Jameston1 »

We've gone from no goal music, to people loving the sounds of glad all over... Now Scott quigley has his own goal music... If this is the success goal music brings... Long may it continue
Under the radar

Big E
Veteran Member

Post by Big E »

Sonofsam wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 am
Thought he was the difference 2nd half especially. Drove us forward when we were going sideways a bit too much.

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

BoltonBlue wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:20 am
mrsenario wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:54 pm
Remember this game for the crowd singing we were in blue and white stripes and they in yellow and black and we sang Tesco 7 netto nil
Correct, first game of the 93/94 season
‘Tesco 7 Netto 0, get your arse back ok that till’ 😁
Wasn’t ‘steady’ Eddie Johnston in that Knowsley side at the time?
I was at that match, always remembered it as 6-0. May have missed one of the goals though, remember having a dodgy tummy that day and may have been in the loo for one of them (too much information). Also remember it for an absolutely horrific tackle on Wayne Bullimore, who was a classy creative midfielder cut from the same cloth as John Rooney or Kenny Lowe, but never quite retained his form, as I recall, after returning from that injury.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch »

Wayne Bullimore wasn’t in that team John, he came along in the Kenny Lowe era.

(Or was that you riffing on the ‘poor memory’ theme....)
Last edited by Lancaster Branch on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

watcher

Post by watcher »

Sonofsam wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 am
I would agree but also Tom White deserves a special mention as he played a big part in knitting together the defence with the midfield and attack. I would have given him the man of the match.
Great performance all round. I thought the sending off was a little harsh, but sometimes these things happen.
BARROVIAN BEDLAM

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

Tremendous performance. Rooney really is a classy player. And , IE deserves great credit for taking off the wingbacks , Kay and Barry (both of whom are excellent) which opened the floodgates and gives them a rest before next week, and allowed game time for Hindle and Dyson , who both looked sharp. Brilliant

Arvo
Gold Member

Post by Arvo »

Lancaster Branch wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:38 am

Wasn't he? No, not riffing on poor memory, a genuine 'senior moment'. What was the match where we absolutely hammered someone very early in a season, Bullimore was pretty much the architect of that hammering and he was really spitefully and deliberately crocked by one of the opposition players?
Last edited by Arvo on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
You want the obvious, you'll get the obvious.

nationalman

Post by nationalman »

Dont think we have seen the best of Hardcastle yet, does so much running and closing down of the opposition, making them turn back to their own goal

EHB

Post by EHB »

Bully definitely joined in Kenny Lowe era, probably 99/00.
I do remember him getting a bad one in a hammering though, but would have been 01/02 season I reckon.

sambino
Veteran Member

Post by sambino »

EHB wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:52 pm
Bully definitely joined in Kenny Lowe era, probably 99/00.
I do remember him getting a bad one in a hammering though, but would have been 01/02 season I reckon.
I remember it as well and I seem to remember Kenny Lowe getting a bad one when he was player coach then didnt play much again

Scott
Bronze Member

Post by Scott »

Arvo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am
Lancaster Branch wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:38 am

Wasn't he? No, not riffing on poor memory, a genuine 'senior moment'. What was the match where we absolutely hammered someone very early in a season, Bullimore was pretty much the architect of that hammering and he was really spitefully and deliberately crocked by one of the opposition players?
Was against Hucknall Town first day of 2001/02 season we played them off the park and won 6-1. Ricketts scored for them and someone in the crowd shouted that’s a disease...

Was a really poor thuggish tackle on Bullimore that broke his leg and sadly he was never quite the same after that.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

If we're talking 7-0 wins, off the top of my head I seemed to recall we beat Great Harwood by that margin back in the day. I reckoned maybe 1975, but a look at the record books confirms it was in fact on October 25th 1977. My mind was telling me "Ian Gill" and sure enough he scored 2 of our goals. But, just like yesterday, somebody went one better and it was Rob Thomas with a hat-trick, The other scorers were Brian McManus and Alan Cook, The attendance was 504.

That 1977-78 season was the first time we emerged from the gutter since falling out of the League in 1972. We actually managed to finish a respectable 13th in the Northern Premier League after previous finishes of 23rd, 22nd, 22nd, 23rd and 21st in the preceding five seasons. The next season we declined a little bit and finished 16th but it was still enough to get us into the inaugural National League (Alliance Premier) which started up in August 1979. The team that beat Great Harwood 7-0 was as follows:

Kevin Thomas, Steve Lyle, Mark Wynn, Dave Large, Mike Foster, Brian McManus, Alan Cook, Paul Wilson, Rob Thomas, Tommy Graham, Ian Gill, with Phil Swarbrick as substitute.

It was less than two months after that match that we signed another striker, somebody called Colin (forget the surname) from Netherfield. Did we really need to waste money on another striker when we can knock in seven?