Barrow v FC United of Manchester

A forum for previous match threads.
Jonty
Platinum Member

Re: Barrow v FC United of Manchester

Post by Jonty »

Didn’t go yesterday. But from those photos I am absolutely astounded that there does not appear to be any stewarding between fans in the Main stand. All ok in a good friendly atmosphere, but not so sure the magic rope is enough. So much attention is given to the segregation on the terrace but what about the stand? It’s not ideal and surely the club is looking into this for the bigger league games coming up.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Jonty wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:31 pm
Didn’t go yesterday. But from those photos I am absolutely astounded that there does not appear to be any stewarding between fans in the Main stand. All ok in a good friendly atmosphere, but not so sure the magic rope is enough. So much attention is given to the segregation on the terrace but what about the stand? It’s not ideal and surely the club is looking into this for the bigger league games coming up.
The police who were there were stood with the 4th official, so maybe the club thought that they could act as a rapid response unit. All two of them! ;)
Last edited by barrowfan on Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pjdaly
Bronze Member

Post by pjdaly »

There's a lot on here about Byron but it's Jack Hindle I feel sorry for. I don't understand what goes on there and I thought he would get at least half a game yesterday. He showed last season (far more than any other player) that he knows how to put the ball in the net but has hardly had a chance this season. Something's going on but I don't know what.

SayitagainSam

Post by SayitagainSam »

Jonty wrote:
The W Section of the Stand was way over-capacity filled with FC fans, as apparently they could chose to stand on the HS terrace or sit in the Stand for the same price of £12. Strange..

Due to the wind and rain, many chose the Stand, beyond the number of available seats.

So with every seat taken, there was an over-flow of 40 - 60 fans (estimated) who had no choice but to stand on the ascending/descending steps, totally blocking them!

This made it impossible for any FC fan, especially in the top-half, to make a quick, easy exit, in an emergency, fight, fire, etc. People would be falling over each other trying to get out. Talk about breach of fire-regulations for starters.

And unlike the HS terrace which separates the visitors and the home fans with 2 metal barriers, a 20-yard no-go zone and 4 stewards, there was a mere rope to split both sets of fans in the Stand.

And trust me these guys were not 'little old ladies', most had been drinking for up to 5 hours on the coach from M/C or at various Pubs and they had had a skin-full. I witnessed several stumbling across Wilkie Rd. off their coach with beer cans in hand.

The FC and Barrow fans, who WERE mainly elderly, women and children, were literally standing/sitting 'shoulder-to-shoulder'. Totally contrary to the objective of a safe soccer match-day environment.

As Jonty rightly said, there wasn't ONE SINGLE Steward to separate the FC fans from the Barrow fans, except for the usual one Steward who is positioned at the bottom to check your Stand ticket. Clearly, no additional stewarding had been planned.

I was quite concerned at what I saw and went over and mentioned this potentially lethal situation before the game started to the 2 cops standing with the 4th Official (had no idea at that stage of the demeanour of MANCHESTER fans) but I might as well saved my breathe, because the men in blue responded 'naught to do with us'.

Fortunately, during the match, the FC fans remained singing and in good humour throughout, until and after at the end, despite being thrashed 7 - 0.

That might not necessarily be the case against Notts Co. Wrexham, Stockport or other visiting teams who might bring 500 - 1000 supporters and take-up their full Stand allocation, who will be, for sure, more upset with a loss, than were FC.

The Club and the Stewards need to address and improve on this situation for upcoming games, otherwise there's the possibility of a serious confrontation.

Better to raise this matter now, than after a potentially nasty incident.
Last edited by SayitagainSam on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 20 times in total.

BAFC_Official

Post by BAFC_Official »

There's no doubt that there is plenty to learn from on Saturday. Thanks to everyone for their comments on here and the messages we have received.

For some of the bigger games coming up (Stockport/Notts etc), seating tickets for away fans will be available online ONLY and numbers will be strictly monitored.

A meeting is planned for Tuesday to review Saturday, feel free to send me a PM with any comments and suggestions and I will be sure to pass them on. :scarf:

Scott
Bronze Member

Post by Scott »

pjdaly wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 pm
There's a lot on here about Byron but it's Jack Hindle I feel sorry for. I don't understand what goes on there and I thought he would get at least half a game yesterday. He showed last season (far more than any other player) that he knows how to put the ball in the net but has hardly had a chance this season. Something's going on but I don't know what.
He’s not been the same since his dip in form midway through last season which I think he and Evatt had put down to off field issues? I was a bit disappointed with him against Atherton he didn’t show a lot bar winning and scoring the penalty. Gave the ball away quite a lot and looked nowhere near the player of early last season. Confidence looks to be well down and he’s not played hardly this season and it would probably be him to depart before Harrison on current form. Shame as there is a player in there but I can’t see him getting too many more opportunities now.

madplumpy

Post by madplumpy »

SayitagainSam wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:14 pm
Jonty wrote:
The W Section of the Stand was way over-sold filled with FC fans, with an unlimited amount of Stand tickets being sold at the turn-style at HS end. Us Home fans were turned-away and told to walk down to the turn-style at the CB end.

On top of that, many FC fans paid an extra £3 for a transfer from the HS terrace to the Stand, not wishing be out in the wind and rain, regardless of the number of seats left, of which there were NONE.

Plus, I understand there were some gate-crashers who simply didn't pay for a Stand ticket, but simply walked from the terrace.

Anyway, with every seat taken, there was an over-flow of 40 - 60 fans (estimated) who had no choice but to stand on the ascending/descending steps, totally blocking them!

This made it impossible for any FC fan, especially in the top-half, to make a quick, easy exit, in an emergency, fight, fire, etc. People would be falling over each other trying to get out. Talk about breach of fire-regulations for starters.

And unlike the HS terrace which separates the visitors and the home fans with 2 metal barriers, a 20-yard no-go zone and 4 stewards, there was a mere rope to split both sets of fans in the Stand.

And trust me these guys were not 'little old ladies', most had been drinking for up to 5 hours on the coach from M/C or at various Pubs and they had had a skin-full. I witnessed several stumbling across Wilkie Rd. off their coach with beer cans in hand.

The FC and Barrow fans, who WERE mainly elderly, women and children, were literally standing/sitting 'shoulder-to-shoulder'. Totally contrary to the objective of a safe soccer match-day environment.

As Jonty rightly said, there wasn't ONE SINGLE Steward to separate the FC fans from the Barrow fans, except for the usual one Steward who is positioned at the bottom to check your Stand ticket. Clearly, no additional stewarding had been planned.

I was quite concerned at what I saw and went over and mentioned this potentially lethal situation before the game started to the 2 cops standing with the 4th Official (had no idea at that stage of the demeanour of MANCHESTER fans) but I might as well saved my breathe, because the men in blue responded 'naught to do with us'.

Fortunately, during the match, the FC fans remained singing and in good humour throughout, until and after at the end, despite being thrashed 7 - 0.

That might not necessarily be the case against Notts Co. Wrexham, Stockport or other visiting teams who might bring 500 - 1000 supporters and take-up their full Stand allocation, who will be, for sure, more upset with a loss, than were FC.

The Club and the Stewards need to address and improve on this situation for upcoming games, otherwise there's the possibility of a serious confrontation.

Thats not quite right...
the 'W' wasn't oversold. for some reason for the match yesterday there was no differentiation between general ground entry tickets and main stand tickets.
You either paid full price of £12 or the concession price of £7 and make your own mind up whether to sit or stand. (and there was no extra charge to transfer as per the norm)
I asked at the front desk at the crossbar for a seated ticket and they said they weren't doing them and If I wanted to sit, best get in quick as a lot of people would choose to sit because of the weather.
I just don't think the club were expecting that many to turn up after the small crowd on Tuesday night.

SayitagainSam

Post by SayitagainSam »

'I just don't think the club were expecting that many to turn up after the small crowd on Tuesday night'.

Not true. The official on the Stand gate told me they were expecting "up to 800" away fans and the FC web-site and many posts stated several coaches were laid-on, plus train and car fans. Having a small home crowd on a Tuesday v AC, did not follow that there would be a small crowd on a Saturday v FC.

'for some reason for the match yesterday there was no differentiation between general ground entry tickets and main stand tickets'.

Fair enough. So that is WHY it WAS over capacity.
Last edited by SayitagainSam on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Main Stand SeasonTct

Post by Main Stand SeasonTct »

madplumpy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:58 pm
SayitagainSam wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:14 pm

The W Section of the Stand was way over-sold filled with FC fans, with an unlimited amount of Stand tickets being sold at the turn-style at HS end. Us Home fans were turned-away and told to walk down to the turn-style at the CB end.

On top of that, many FC fans paid an extra £3 for a transfer from the HS terrace to the Stand, not wishing be out in the wind and rain, regardless of the number of seats left, of which there were NONE.

Plus, I understand there were some gate-crashers who simply didn't pay for a Stand ticket, but simply walked from the terrace.

Anyway, with every seat taken, there was an over-flow of 40 - 60 fans (estimated) who had no choice but to stand on the ascending/descending steps, totally blocking them!

Thats not quite right...
the 'W' wasn't oversold. for some reason for the match yesterday there was no differentiation between general ground entry tickets and main stand tickets.
You either paid full price of £12 or the concession price of £7 and make your own mind up whether to sit or stand. (and there was no extra charge to transfer as per the norm)
I asked at the front desk at the crossbar for a seated ticket and they said they weren't doing them and If I wanted to sit, best get in quick as a lot of people would choose to sit because of the weather.
I just don't think the club were expecting that many to turn up after the small crowd on Tuesday night.
I was sat a few seats away from the FC United fans and many of the fans chose to stand and sing for the full match giving the impression the there section was oversold. It was the same price for terrace and seats yesterday and the weather meant many more away fans choose to shelter in the stand. There was no problem whatsoever. They were good natured and sang for the full ninety minutes making it probably the best atmosphere this season. They were a credit to their club. I am sure Barrow will have been fully aware how many were coming and the nature of the supporters who follow FC United away. They were great.

madplumpy

Post by madplumpy »

SayitagainSam wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:07 pm
'I just don't think the club were expecting that many to turn up after the small crowd on Tuesday night'.

Sorry, that's simply not true. The official on the Stand gate told me they were expecting "up to 800" away fans and the FC web-site and many posts stated several coaches were laid-on, plus train and car fans. Having a small home crowd on a Tuesday v AC, did not follow that there would be a small crowd on a Saturday v FC.
Well if thats the case, given the weather, the club should've given more of the stand over to FCUtd. They could've given the 'O' over to them as well. There was plenty of room to do it.

It was arranged at short notice (we only got through on the Tuesday night) leaving only three days to print tickets, sort policing/extra stewards etc..
I think we need to cut the club a bit of slack on this one. If it hadn't have been such crap weather where people wanted to shelter out of the rain we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Move on. Nothing happened. lessons can be learnt etc but lets not spoil a great match by picking at every little fault the club makes. Its a work in progress and waay more professional (on and off the field) than I've ever seen in my 35 years as a supporter.

Jonty
Platinum Member

Post by Jonty »

madplumpy wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:25 pm
SayitagainSam wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Sorry, that's simply not true. The official on the Stand gate told me they were expecting "up to 800" away fans and the FC web-site and many posts stated several coaches were laid-on, plus train and car fans. Having a small home crowd on a Tuesday v AC, did not follow that there would be a small crowd on a Saturday v FC.
Well if thats the case, given the weather, the club should've given more of the stand over to FCUtd. They could've given the 'O' over to them as well. There was plenty of room to do it.

It was arranged at short notice (we only got through on the Tuesday night) leaving only three days to print tickets, sort policing/extra stewards etc..
I think we need to cut the club a bit of slack on this one. If it hadn't have been such crap weather where people wanted to shelter out of the rain we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Move on. Nothing happened. lessons can be learnt etc but lets not spoil a great match by picking at every little fault the club makes. Its a work in progress and waay more professional (on and off the field) than I've ever seen in my 35 years as a supporter.
It’s all very well saying nothing happened move on etc. None of this is to aim criticism at the club but you cannot ignore that something needs to be done about the away seating situation and controlling movement of fans between the terrace and the stand. We have potentially three big away followings coming in Notts, Stockport and Wrexham. Segregation in the stand is non existent and the magic rope is not suitable going forward. The only way I can see it working in the current stand configuration is to use seat segregation netting and lose the “O” section and put a new stairwell in. This would lose a lot of seats.
Still searching for the Young Soul Rebels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYxZUJt4xc

HenneysKnee
Platinum Member

Post by HenneysKnee »

Rather than being upset at criticism I’m sure the club actually appreciates the feedback

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

HenneysKnee wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:28 am
Rather than being upset at criticism I’m sure the club actually appreciates the feedback
I’m sure they don’t see it as criticism anyway, the Directors were sat there so they’ll have seen it first hand.

Trouble is (as always) we have a very old stadium and even the newer areas such as the main stand aren’t set up for these types of problems.
Something temporary but an improvement on what we have to get us through till the season end when we know where we’ll be playing might be the best we can hope for. I do know there have been lots of discussions going on for a while now about the problems increased gates are bringing and that’s not just the main stand. Nice problem to have but it’s all about learning at the moment.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

SayitagainSam

Post by SayitagainSam »

BAFC_Official wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm
There's no doubt that there is plenty to learn from on Saturday. Thanks to everyone for their comments on here and the messages we have received.

For some of the bigger games coming up (Stockport/Notts etc), seating tickets for away fans will be available online ONLY and numbers will be strictly monitored.

A meeting is planned for Tuesday to review Saturday, feel free to send me a PM with any comments and suggestions and I will be sure to pass them on. :scarf:
As per your request, but not suggestions or comments, these are the safety and security rules.

Football League (non-League) Ground Regulations.
13012020STAND.png
13012020STAND.png (39.82 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Last edited by SayitagainSam on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

Think this was all caused by the weather and the fact it was the same price to sit (or stand :lol: ) in the stand.

At any other time they would have been asked for another £3.00 - or would they? ;)