A forum for previous match threads.
Paul

Re: Barrow v FC United of Manchester

Post by Paul »

SayitagainSam wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:57 pm
Moribund wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Not sure he's tested the keeper in three games against Northern Premier League opponents. Sadly he's nowhere near good enough these days.
General consensus on Byron. Past his sell-by date. Yes, he headed in a goal, but otherwise he's lost a step and was caught in possession too many times. Not the player he was as evidenced that other Clubs let him go. The weakest link in the team. IE gave him a chance playing him 90 mins. I don't mind he missed a penalty, anyone can. But nowadays he contributes very little to the team, unlike in the past. Sorry, but he needs to move on to be replaced with a goal-poacher. All the best son.
Give him a break, was only his 2nd full game in months, still technically brilliant, too many people comparing him to Quigley.
He's s completely different type of striker - holds the ball up, quick feet, brings others into play etc etc etc.
He's still got plenty to give to the team given a chance, Quigley wasn't too hot at the start of the season cos he wasn't match fit.
They're both excellent players in their own way.

McMark
Platinum Member

Post by McMark »

Good following, but poor antics by some FCUM players and fans.
Stewarding didn’t help, if we can’t manage days like this better I shudder to think how we will deal with the likes of Wrexham, they will run amok on the terraces.
Clinical and professional by the Barrow team, really felt for Byron today it’s just not happening for him!
It’s got to be Fylde or Royston next round, the later just for the puns that will inevitably come along.
Last edited by McMark on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron Ore and Shipbuilders Tea!!
http://t.co/gOngBGrUvv?amp=1

SayitagainSam

Post by SayitagainSam »

"One of the best sides we've faced in our 15 year history and we wish them all the best for the remainder of the season, and hopefully they achieve promotion to the league" - FC Utd.

https://twitter.com/FCUnitedMcr

What GREAT Supporters FC have. Wow. They get trounced 0 - 7 and you'd have thought they'd won!
Last edited by SayitagainSam on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

spirit of 1990
Platinum Member

Post by spirit of 1990 »

russell_anderson wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:35 pm
Bluebird_john wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:26 pm

We are also talking about a side that plays the game well above this level. Real shame about his injury because technically an absolutely super footballer
He certainly was in the Cox team. I still remember his perfance at Bristol Rovers in the bcup. However in those days he had pace, strength and was a good finisher. He's no longer got any pace and just isn't quick enough to trouble defenders in this league.
He’s not the same player he was three years ago but he’s not being used in the same role as he was back then. Byron is now (mainly) used to hold the ball up, run time down etc where three years ago he was the main striker. IE is no fool and he still sees Byron as a good squad player. Had to feel for him today in front of goal...just not going for him in that area.
The game - what a clinical, professional way we went about it, to beat a team 7-0 after the run they’ve been on (even if a couple of leagues below us) is still quite remarkable.
Barry, fast becoming a star performer in this team & run we’re on, he won’t get POTS but he deserves some recognition for the way he’s progressed.
We didn't underestimate them, we just didn't think they were that good.

barrowfan
Platinum Member

Post by barrowfan »

SayitagainSam wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm

What GREAT Supporters FC have. Wow. They get trounced 0 - 7 and you'd have thought they'd won!
Followed some down HS and they were still chanting and singing. Well done!

blumooncrab

Post by blumooncrab »

Why the negative comment FFS ?

Mike

Post by Mike »

barrowfan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm
SayitagainSam wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Followed some down HS and they were still chanting and singing. Well done!
Were they chanting ‘please stop following us barrowfan’?

Baxterj732

Post by Baxterj732 »

I thought Byron wasn't bad today, you can't compare him to the bryon of old, it's clear that his injuries have taken they're toll but he still held the ball up okay in my opinion, he's a squad player, not a starter anymore like he was under Cox,

Was his goal given as an own goal or has it been given to Byron?
Heaven is a place on earth, we prefer to call it Holker Street :scarf: popular side since 2002! :scarf:

Wintergreen
Platinum Member

Post by Wintergreen »

Smoggie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:07 pm
What else can you say about the mighty Barrow A.F.C.
I would say "Wow!" and probably in the voice of Kate Bush.

That was one of the most ruthless, methodical and comprehensive dismantling of an opposing side I have seen at Holker Street since last Saturday.
We'll keep the blue flag flying here...

Suffolk Blue
Silver Member

Post by Suffolk Blue »

Baxterj732 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:54 pm
I thought Byron wasn't bad today, you can't compare him to the bryon of old, it's clear that his injuries have taken they're toll but he still held the ball up okay in my opinion, he's a squad player, not a starter anymore like he was under Cox,

Was his goal given as an own goal or has it been given to Byron?
Despite all the negative stats and thoughts, I suspect Byron might stay with us till the end of the season. Dont think IE sees him as a second or third striker now. But he does have a good football brain and doesn't panic and is useful in the last 15-20 minutes as long as you're not chasing the game and dont desperately need a goal. Everything that IE says about suggests he genuinely rates him on some level. As long as we have 4 or 5 different players scoring goals I suspect he'll remain as a genuine squad filler.

Middleton Nick
Gold Member

Post by Middleton Nick »

Going off IE, Byron isn't going anywhere soon.

Lancaster Branch
Platinum Member

Post by Lancaster Branch »

I thought BH was alright, played his part in dishing out another comprehensive shellacking.

On we go.

Van Der Nipper
Gold Member

Post by Van Der Nipper »

You only had to see the players reaction when Byron scored today to see what the rest of the squad think of him,i thought he had a good game today 👍
ISC in the community liason officer-since 7th April 2009

boyliegladbach
Platinum Member

Post by boyliegladbach »

Ide go with what the manager thinks.

Did alright today Byron. I think he's got a big part to play between now and end of season.

GTBLUE
Platinum Member

Post by GTBLUE »

Van Der Nipper wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:56 pm
You only had to see the players reaction when Byron scored today to see what the rest of the squad think of him,i thought he had a good game today 👍
Yup, I said the same to people around me.
Chuffed for him.